• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post-Sale Update: John Byrne Hulk #314 OA

8 posts in this topic

Ok, I know most, if not, all of you have had it with my attempt to sell this piece - one that didn't seem to want to leave me!! Well, it got sold about an hour ago on eBay for $637. So now I'm more willing to relay info about how, where and for how much I bought the piece. You may be asking why even bother telling you? Well, honestly, I can't think of a worthwhile reason other than perhaps this will serve as a warning to novice OA collectors/investors as myself...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...O%3AIT&rd=1

So I bought this piece at the San Diego Comic Con 2006 by an extremely well-known comic art dealer. The piece listed at $1,000 and I haggled it down to $925. Not much, but man, I was so elated thinking I had worked my way down to a decent buy. Prior to and after purchasing the page, I consulted other dealers who carried comic books and art. Their opinions were similar, saying that the same dealer rarely goes too far from his/her initial asking price and is good about pricing it to market value (whatever that means). Another person commented on the content by saying it is a good action piece done by Byrne. So coming from different angles, they estimated the piece is worth anywhere between $1,100-1,500. With that, I became even more excited as my intent at the show was to make decent buys to turn around and seek profit. But of course, this was not the case and I sold the art for far less, nearly a 40% cut. To note, I am more inclined to think that eBay sales represent more accurate market value data than at the comic book / art dealer tables!!

I realized rather quickly, one should NOT go to SD Comic Con (or any comic convention) for that purpose or expectation they will come up top! I will certainly return next year, and assuming I have the financial backing, I will instead stock up on Golden Age & OA for my personal collection.

This year, I've been insanely successful as a total amateur comic seller (I am careful not to use the term dealer) by increasing my initial $600 entry over 15-fold after all the eBay + paypal fees + my time. Not bad actually for a little armenian guy from L.A. with no connections in the comic biz. But geez, Comic Con f**king hurt me the most!

Feel free to ask me questions and/or lambast me with your comments about how naive and dim-witted my expectations were.

Pete

I get the impression that with all of the expenses of setting up in San Diego, very few dealers will sell anything without a generous mark-up. The consensus among my collector friends is that while SD is great for seeing cool stuff and meeting people, it's a lousy place to find a "good deal".

This year, I've been insanely successful as a total amateur comic seller (I am careful not to use the term dealer) by increasing my initial $600 entry over 15-fold after all the eBay + paypal fees + my time. Not bad actually for a little armenian guy from L.A. with no connections in the comic biz. But geez, Comic Con f**king hurt me the most!

Don't mask your language here. If you wouldn't say it in front of everyone's mother, don't use the word.

How much was the final cut after the eBay fees from the multiple re-lists?

novice OA collectors/investors as myself...

Not to be mean, but this is the key phrase here. Don't be too hard on yourself over a 25% loss. Just get to know the market better before throwing around large chunks of change on quick flip opportunities.

Art's a little different than the modern comic market where you can consistantly buy hot $10 books to flip for $20 on ebay when you get home from the show.

Buy what you like and hopefully you'll make some money when you get sick of looking at it. As long as you have good taste tongue.gif

novice OA collectors/investors as myself...

Not to be mean, but this is the key phrase here. Don't be too hard on yourself over a 25% loss. Just get to know the market better before throwing around large chunks of change on quick flip opportunities.

Art's a little different than the modern comic market where you can consistantly buy hot $10 books to flip for $20 on ebay when you get home from the show.

Buy what you like and hopefully you'll make some money when you get sick of looking at it. As long as you have good taste tongue.gif

Don't mask your language here. If you wouldn't say it in front of everyone's mother, don't use the word.

How much was the final cut after the eBay fees from the multiple re-lists?

About $600