• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC 9.6 with two stress lines.

22 posts in this topic

Generally speaking, you are correct. Generally speaking 2 stress marks are the max allowed for a 9.4 grade has been my rule of thumb.

I sure as heck can't answer your question...I'm sure CGC can though...if they bothered with grader's notes. Remember, secret grading handshake. We don't know the criteria CGC uses.

Personally I think they botched this one...it must be the sharp corners that won 'em over. It definitely presents like a 9.6 otherwise.

I had just been looking at the Curator Conan #1 on eBay before reading the Boards.

Curator Conan#1 CGC 9.6W on eBay

A nice copy overall as it seems very difficult to find without some sort of miscut. Though staples can be a perennial problem.

However, I wondered about the top left front cover.

How close to perfect (without a jeweler's loupe) need a book look for a 9.6?

I wonder if that corner got damaged when is was sealed

Nope, not at that angle. That impact dent is definitely pre-slabbing.

Now I sometimes hammer on CGC for some grades (usually freakshow miscuts) but I do like that they take the "whole book" into account when grading. If a copy has CGC 9.8+ level corners and edges, and perfect gloss and color, but the stress lines of a CGC 9.4, then why not give it a 9.6?

I've never been a fan of this Draconian "it can go no higher than X with 2 tiny stress lines" grading, as it ignores that the book may have other exceptional features at 9.8-9.9.

I've never been a fan of this Draconian "it can go no higher than X with 2 tiny stress lines" grading, as it ignores that the book may have other exceptional features at 9.8-9.9.

I agree with you...but it's the mismatch of technical grading and aesthetics that have been giving grading a bad rap from the get go from a consistency standpoint.

I agree with you...but it's the mismatch of technical grading and aesthetics that have been giving grading a bad rap from the get go from a consistency standpoint.

I've seen 9.8's with tiny stress lines...CGC obviously doesn't follow Overstreet's grading guide to the letter, but then again, who does? confused-smiley-013.gif

I've seen 9.8's with tiny stress lines...CGC obviously doesn't follow Overstreet's grading guide to the letter, but then again, who does? confused-smiley-013.gif

I think it does matter how deep the lines are and how the rest of the book looks.

R.

I think it does matter how deep the lines are and how the rest of the book looks.

R.

Yepper, in the 9.4+ range surface wear (gloss retention, smooth cover, etc.,.) becomes the deciding factor, and a like new book with a couple tiny spine ticks can still make the grade. thumbsup2.gif

I had just been looking at the Curator Conan #1 on eBay before reading the Boards.

A nice copy overall as it seems very difficult to find without some sort of miscut. Though staples can be a perennial problem.

How close to perfect (without a jeweler's loupe) need a book look for a 9.6?

Wow - I wonder how many of those raw books in my collection that I've graded a VF that would actually make the CGC 9.2, 9.4, 9.6 status?confused-smiley-013.gif

I'll probably never know, since I'd rather spend my money on more books instead of slabbing fees. thumbsup2.gif

I wonder if that corner got damaged when is was sealed

Nope, not at that angle. That impact dent is definitely pre-slabbing.

Now I sometimes hammer on CGC for some grades (usually freakshow miscuts) but I do like that they take the "whole book" into account when grading. If a copy has CGC 9.8+ level corners and edges, and perfect gloss and color, but the stress lines of a CGC 9.4, then why not give it a 9.6?

I was admiring the corners on that book myself. Quite sharp.

Wow... that top left corner is very rough for a 9.6.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I do like that they take the "whole book" into account when grading. If a copy has CGC 9.8+ level corners and edges, and perfect gloss and color, but the stress lines of a CGC 9.4, then why not give it a 9.6?

Couldn't have said it better myself, JC thumbsup2.gif

I do like that they take the "whole book" into account when grading. If a copy has CGC 9.8+ level corners and edges, and perfect gloss and color, but the stress lines of a CGC 9.4, then why not give it a 9.6?

Did someone forget to tell me that hell froze over? confused-smiley-013.gif

It seems to me that there is a 'defect count' in play. Certainly defect severity is a major factor, but given a set of defects that are very minor, I do not think that 9.6 should be off the table.

My opinion is that many of those NM looking books that come back as 8.5s have an accumulation of very minor defects - the sheer amount of which lower the grade. IMHO.

I have an Amazing Spider-Man# 28 CGC VF+ 8.5...and the book has what i'd call, 4 "clear" color breaking stress points at the spine. They looked too sever for the grade, given my understanding of OS standards, so I called CGC.

They went over the grading notes, and I and employee concluded that they must have indeed given the book "credit" for its NM back cover, and sharpe corners confused-smiley-013.gif

The only thing about such protocols that disturbs me is,...can we EVER truly have "grading standards" with such an approach? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The only thing about such protocols that disturbs me is,...can we EVER truly have "grading standards" with such an approach? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually, that way is easier.

Just give each of maybe 5-6 major categories grades, like Corners: 9.8, Edges: 9.6, Spine: 9.4, Gloss & Color: 9.6, etc. then take the average.

Actually, that way is easier.

Just give each of maybe 5-6 major categories grades, like Corners: 9.8, Edges: 9.6, Spine: 9.4, Gloss & Color: 9.6, etc. then take the average.

I believe they do something similar with baseball cards..