• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC vs PGX grading

106 posts in this topic

One of many existing discussions...

PGX vs CGC

There are a TON of OPINIONS on the subject,

so here's a quick statement of FACTS, before I give my opinion.

CGC is the standard for professionally graded books, by a huge margin,

in terms of total books graded, acceptance by major national dealers and auction houses,

and in major industry publications.

Given these facts, here's my opinion:

If someone uses PGX instead of CGC, despite the facts above, they are either:

A) Cheap (since PGX is cheaper than CGC)

B) Sneaky (since CGC might catch whatever they're trying to hide)

C) Anti-CGC (just giving money to the competition out of spite)

D) near Eugene, Oregon (since PGX would be the local grading company)

E) Ignorant (not recognizing the industry signs, or not doing any research)

F) Other

As a regular buyer of comic books on Ebay, I am generally not interested

in dealing with comic book sellers who are Cheap, Sneaky, or Ignorant.

Sellers who are Anti-CGC might be ok if they actually know how to grade,

but I can't find that out until after I've paid. So that's risky.

Sellers who live near Eugene, Oregon, can't be a huge number of people,

so even if they're great, I won't encounter them often.

If there is some other reason to use PGX (such as a love for the plastic holder),

then I wonder why they didn't buy just archival boards and nice mylar holders?

My conclusion: People who use PGX may be good people, but the "signs" point

to them also being someone who I would not want to deal with as a buyer of their books.

(Not every single person, of course, but the overall risks seem too much for me to "hope" for rewards.)

Your own mileage may vary.

PGX vs CGC

in terms of total books graded, acceptance by major national dealers and auction houses,

F) Other

If there is some other reason to use PGX (such as a love for the plastic holder),

to them also being someone who I would not want to deal with as a buyer of their books.

(Not every single person, of course, but the overall risks seem too much for me to "hope" for rewards.)

Not that I disagree with your overall premise on the subject....but

don't YOU do the CGC analysis data????893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not exactly an "unbiased" opinion, would you not agree? Also, your tone is a bit "tearse" almost angry confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey, its just me, but conflict of interest enters my mind yeahok.gif...regardless of any facts in your statements.

F) Other

I think you should have included child molester in there somewhere. tongue.gif

PGX vs CGC

F) Other

I sent about 40 books to be PGX graded about a year ago for the following reasons:

A.) CGC rejected about 7 of my books (over $250 each) because of overhang. Since I wanted my entire GGA collection slabbed I sent these books to PGX along with a few that cost around $50 to $150 for the hell of it, and to save money on return shipping.

B.) Since I probably won't be selling my GGA collection for a long time, and did like the PGX holder somewhat better than CGC's, I decided to try PGX.

C.) The PGX price was around $20 per each book instead of $25 for CGC's Economy grading. This value is fairly negligible, but for $50 books it starts making a difference.

D.) I was really upset with CGC for a short period of time because of the whole Ewert and other issues. I decided to give PGX a try. Would I use them for expensive books, of course not, but for $100 mid grade GA books...........why not.

E.) I wanted my books back within a months time since CGC's return times were up to 4 to 5 months at the time. Would I use PGX in the future, I would say probably not..........especially with more recent revelations (instead of them just being inexperienced).

F.) All the books I sent to PGX were purchased from some major dealers like Metro, Four Color, Bedrock City, Superworld etc. as unrestored. I felt somewhat confident that these books were already checked for resto work................even though one did come back with minor color touch.

If the above list makes me a shady character not to deal with certain people, then so be it.

PGX vs CGC

F) Other

Dude, I don't know you from Adam, and i have no bones with you but that is a stupid thing to say. I'm sure there are a lot of sincere people that use PGX. Nuff said. I've seen overgraded and undergraded books from them. The only way to really prove something is to sometimes try it yourself.

R.

Is PGX still in business?? I thought Daniel's one man, home operation was pretty much over. What is it with Oregon and scumbag comic sellers. My one bad Ebay experience several years ago was with a seller named mscorrinet (spelling?) who tried to pawn off some obvious restored, color touched books. He agressively denied that there was any restoration when I contacted him and it was so easy to see the acrylic black color touch used to hide some corner creases and stress marks it made me 27_laughing.gif He eventually accepted a return then made up some story that the books had been crushed in the priority mail box by USPS (probably trying to take out a false insurance claim). Found out this was a lie as he was then shortly selling them on Ebay again trying to dupe some other unfortunate buyer foreheadslap.gif

Is PGX still in business?? I thought Daniel's one man, home operation was pretty much over. What is it with Oregon and scumbag comic sellers. My one bad Ebay experience several years ago was with a seller named mscorrinet (spelling?) who tried to pawn off some obvious restored, color touched books. He agressively denied that there was any restoration when I contacted him and it was so easy to see the acrylic black color touch used to hide some corner creases and stress marks it made me 27_laughing.gif He eventually accepted a return then made up some story that the books had been crushed in the priority mail box by USPS (probably trying to take out a false insurance claim). Found out this was a lie as he was then shortly selling them on Ebay again trying to dupe some other unfortunate buyer foreheadslap.gif

You've only had one eBay experience, and it happened to be a dealer from Oregon???? Well that does it, they must all be scumbags - either that or California transplants....,

poke2.gif

Hang around eBay for awhile, and you'll eventually pick-up something distasteful from every state, not just your neighbor to the north. Sad, but true.

sorry.gif

PGX vs CGC

F) Other

Dude, I don't know you from Adam, and i have no bones with you but that is a stupid thing to say. I'm sure there are a lot of sincere people that use PGX. Nuff said. I've seen overgraded and undergraded books from them. The only way to really prove something is to sometimes try it yourself.

R.

Couldn't agree more, 1970.

Everyone is free to state their own opinion, but making sweeping and insulting generalizations about others who use a service that YOU don't approve of just makes you look like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person 893naughty-thumb.gif

I own several CGC and PGX books and find the grading standards to be very similar. As others have noted, PGX does seem more strict on Modern books, while in my opinion CGC seems to be a little tougher on Silver and Bronze stuff. I use CGC for more expensive books since I believe they have more experience at detecting restoration, but I use PGX for less-valuable books and/or to get them back a lot faster.

I can personally understand if someone feels negatively about me because of a bad transaction between us. However, what I don't like is when a person's reputation is questioned because people try to make generalizations based on second hand dealings. Hey, if Skybolt (or other forum members) sent his books to be PGX graded, or dealt with Heritage, or bought books from Metro, or he's a Gemini, then something fishy is going on?! Sometimes people make you feel like a drug dealer because they don't like the person (s) you dealt with through a third party. Eventually, everyone on these boards may get caught up in this web of deception, because we've all dealt with someone that others don't like!

I sent in books to PGX for that one month that they were PGA. (about 20) and my first grading experience.

I was actually pleased with the service but thought the grading was harsh.

Since then the PGX Marvel Spotlight 8.5 was sold and that person submitted to CGC and got a 9.0.

One other book I sold was also upgraded when submitted o CGC. Can't remember the issue right now.

I also sold my ASM 90 PGX 9.6 for $650. It was a beauty....and I thought CGC could have bestowed it a 9.8. I'll never know now. I was still pleased with the sale.

I've sold a few PGX books that were graded 9.0 that I now know would be higher graded CGC books like an X-men 95 that was beautiful.

I would not submit high grade books to PGX/PGA/CGG again as the dollar return and slightly lower grade does not warrant the lower price.

I did send them a Hulk 5 that I graded VG/FN due to a large crease that came back a Fine. It was a beautiful book, but had a 6 inch light CBC on the front cover.....Fine? I'd have been dissapointed buying it as a Fine so I sold it with large scans. For the most part PGX graded harder than me by 1 step.....and that's saying something. I'd buy PGX books off Ebay, but I'd ask questions to the seller first to understand how and when the books came into their possession.

I "think" PGX is a bit easier on the lower grades, but is tighter by at least one step on the high grades. At least they were when I submitted.

I can't comment on restoration check ability, as I know the books that I submitted were not restored. I still have about 15 of them, and I've contemplated unslabbing and submitting to cgc when it comes time to sell. We'll see.

I can say that Valiantman's post is so skewed and partial, that I won't even respond to any of his comments.

Buy what you like, slab if you want, and enjoy the hobby.

I may try to dig up contact info on this mscorrinet seller but I recall he was from the same location as PGX (Daniel P.), Terence Leder, etc. I personally stay clear of all PGX books, especially ones being sold by Oregon dealers with shady ties to Daniel 893scratchchin-thumb.gif