• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why does ASM 101 do so well?

15 posts in this topic

Although it stumps me that this book is worth this much, I was the unlucky underbidder on the White Mountain ASM 101 last night.

Why is it this book guides/GPAs so high? $400 for a 9.2. that's in the ASM 121/122 range. Its just Morbius. What has morbius done to deserve that?

ASM 101 does well because greggy sold his cgc 9.8 for a record busting price to elevate him to Forum Legend status. Hi-end collectors have access to GPA now. Early book that came out before Marv Team-up #1 which is also a consistent top-seller in cgc slab.

Morbius in the 70's was incredible! ASM101 is my fave bronze spidey no competition. great cover too, Just a wonderful book. When Gil Kane was onhim, or in the Vampire tales series, thats just some of the best stuff Marvel did in the 70's. Now the Fear series is another story....

gossip.gif the real reason is beacuse secretly EVERYONE wants spider-man to have 6 arms...

Why does ASM 101 do so well?

Because this issue started a new era for Spidey...6 arms, anti-hero dracula type character, awesome Gil Kane artwork....Spidey was just a silly web crawler up until this issue...bronze Age stuff at it's finest... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Whether or not Morbius is a worthy character, he's not the Punisher. He isn't front and center and has really never been. Punisher has 2 titles of his own in the marketplace. And his first appearance is no Death of Gwen or Death of Gobby. Yet that's where the values are almost approaching. $400 for a 9.2.

Its a great cover though. =)

I like Morbius from the 70's better than the Punisher.... thumbsup2.gif

The Punisher really was over exposed and couldn't handle it like spidey does. gossip.gif

Take a look at the PPSSM where Morbius is on the cover...those are some sweet covers...now if anyone ever read them confused-smiley-013.gif

I like Morbius from the 70's better than the Punisher.... thumbsup2.gif

The Punisher really was over exposed and couldn't handle it like spidey does. gossip.gif

Take a look at the PPSSM where Morbius is on the cover...those are some sweet covers...now if anyone ever read them confused-smiley-013.gif

I can totally understand liking Morbius more, but the fact remains, Punisher is a huge character, movies and whatnot, and Morbius is mostly a nothing and has been for 20+ years (1 big failure of a series aside).

Yeah, but what does an ASM 238 in 9.8 go for? ASM 300 in 9.8? ASM 194 in 9.6/9.8? Perhaps more important characters, but they're "new" books in huge numbers out there that are somewhat similarly priced (and i'll equate those 9.8s to a 9.2 because they're so much later)

Morbius is not a "nothing" Spidey villian/character, he's in the pantheon of biggies, certainly top 15. How about the big prices on WWBNights first app. and WWBN 32 in uber high grade? TOD 10? (Sure, Blade has some movies, but he's not much of a comics character.)