• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what's the buzz on Valiant?

68 posts in this topic

You don't?

Nope, and I traded in my pre-Unity issues for BA during the speculator madness, so I have great respect for the early issues. grin.gif

I traded my pre-Unity for high grade Silver in 1992, so I do as well. Magnus 0 w/card for $100 in Silver trade works for me.

So, you can pick up the originals for $10 but the trade is north of $50? confused-smiley-013.gif

Magnus vs Predator originals you can pick up in the $.25-$1 bins. 2 issue set.

The TPB is much rarer.

No doubt... just wanted to reinforce that for folks who dismiss trades as just reprints not worth the paper they are printed on. thumbsup2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

So, you can pick up the originals for $10 but the trade is north of $50? confused-smiley-013.gif

Magnus vs Predator originals you can pick up in the $.25-$1 bins. 2 issue set.

The TPB is much rarer.

No doubt... just wanted to reinforce that for folks who dismiss trades as just reprints not worth the paper they are printed on. thumbsup2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

The Predator vs Magnus trade is particularly interesting...

In 1992, there were over 450,000 copies of the regular comic #1,

and over 250,000 of comic #2. (A two-part storyline)

In 1994, Dark Horse solicited a collected trade (to all these dealers overstocked with the originals)

for a retail price of $7.95.

Dealers couldn't move the leftover originals for $1 each in their bargain bins in 1994...

so why buy the reprint and try to sell it for $7.95?

So... almost no one ordered it.

The Predator vs Magnus trade (reprint) is now extremely hard to find.

It's unlikely that Dark Horse would print it at all if the orders were too low,

so it makes collectors wonder if there's a few cases in a Dark Horse warehouse somewhere.

At any rate, they haven't turned up on the market very often in the past 8 years.

In fact, three copies in two months on eBay is probably a record.

I've only owned one or two copies in 10 years... and I don't remember seeing one at all in 1994.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Most recently, $110 (including shipping) for an unslabbed copy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200025638520

While browsing ebay I see that there's a CGC 9.4 copy of Predator Vs Magnus listed. Zipped over to ValiantComics.com and found that the last raw NM price listed is from 11/05 for $104.... was wondering what this will go for as it's currently mid-$30s with a starting bid. Also there's a raw copy up, looks kinda worn, probably FN+ or a very weak VF that is mid-$40s with days to go after multiple bids.

Raw NM for $183! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

A weak NM? Hard to tell on this cover, but it looks like maybe a couple color breaking spine creases roughly 1/3 down from the top, across from the bottom of the logo.

You don't?

Nope, and I traded in my pre-Unity issues for BA during the speculator madness, so I have great respect for the early issues. grin.gif

I traded my pre-Unity for high grade Silver in 1992, so I do as well. Magnus 0 w/card for $100 in Silver trade works for me.

lol! I did exactly the same thing. thumbsup2.gif

Is the trade more Valuable than individual issues?

Yes, the TPB is a zillion times more valuable. thumbsup2.gif

Whats so special about trade that makes it so valuable?

Valiant completist collectors highly value it due to its rarity. ValiantMan's ValiantComics website says it is rumored to have a 5K print run. IMO it turns up infrequently enough that I think the print run was lower than 5K, maybe only 2-3K. I've compared it before to TMNT #1 that had a 1st printing of 3K - I find that TMNT #1 is offered for sale more frequently. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Also it's got a kick 893censored-thumb.gif cover! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Valiant completist collectors highly value it due to its rarity. ValiantMan's ValiantComics website says it is rumored to have a 5K print run. IMO it turns up infrequently enough that I think the print run was lower than 5K, maybe only 2-3K.

There is no known record of the print run... it's estimated at 5K because of how infrequently

it turns up for sale... it could be less, but if it's much less then I'm surprised it was printed at all.

Technically, it's a Dark Horse book. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How come no listing of the Sliders comics by Acclaim on your website Valiantman?

Also noticed no listings for the Waterworld series and Little Mermaid?

Is there any info on print run on these issues?

By the way, thanks for your site, tons of help there.

Well, ValiantComics.com is about Valiant Comics... grin.gif

Sliders doesn't qualify as a Valiant comic... neither does Waterworld or Little Mermaid.

They were made by Acclaim, which happens to have purchased the Valiant universe,

but the site is devoted to Valiant, not to the step-children of the wicked foster parents.

If I was being "true" to the Valiant universe, I wouldn't include Acclaim's versions of the Valiant titles,

but I'm a slave to the masses. stooges.gif

thumbsup2.gif

So Little Mermaid, Waterworld and Sliders where produced before Acclaim purchased Valiant? That would make sense, otherwise aren't there some titles that didn't exist when Valiant was self owned, that Acclaim produced that are included in your Acclaim list?

By the way, just won me a Unity 2000 Preview (run of 5k) by Acclaim for $1.26.

So Little Mermaid, Waterworld and Sliders where produced before Acclaim purchased Valiant? That would make sense, otherwise aren't there some titles that didn't exist when Valiant was self owned, that Acclaim produced that are included in your Acclaim list?

By the way, just won me a Unity 2000 Preview (run of 5k) by Acclaim for $1.26.

The Acclaim books listed on ValiantComics.com were produced by

Acclaim under the banner of "Acclaim Comics Valiant Heroes".

Those are on ValiantComics.com because of their (loose) connection to Valiant.

Acclaim had other banners ("Acclaim Crime Fiction", "Windjammer", "Armada", etc.)

that they used to produce comics... but those won't be listed on

ValiantComics.com unless I get really desperate for content. 27_laughing.gif