• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Your Comic Book Related Memorabilia!!

44 posts in this topic

actually it was in 1969, found by me in Omaha Nebraska - i was in high school at the time

what would you guys like to know about this warehouse find?

some are VERY common, some are very scarce with only a dozen copies surfacing out of the warehouse of the Omaha Popped Wheat company

actually it was in 1969, found by me in Omaha Nebraska - i was in high school at the time

what would you guys like to know about this warehouse find?

some are VERY common, some are very scarce with only a dozen copies surfacing out of the warehouse of the Omaha Popped Wheat company

Were they all made for the Omaha Popped Wheat company? Do you recall how many different items there were? What was the story behind this that led you to them? And who bought them?

Or three or four...

1396010-3rdshelftoycase.jpg

Wonderful toy collection WP!! I esp. like the Popeye tin toys myself, though I don't own any... they are so beautifully made and litho'd. Also like your Tracy car, and tin gorilla!!! What a stash!! And nicely displayed...

hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Is that what prompted you on your chosen career?

Heck no- I was out prospecting in the mid west beginning circa 1967, i would come into a town, pull out the phone book, hit every book store and antique shop listed, nuggets of "gold" were on the ground every where one could look back then - i would find this stuff, then take it to market at the early comicons sprouting up

Getting into the comics business full time involved a car engine blown up (65 Chevy Impala) in the Nevada desert leading to heading back to Berkeley in August 1972 to co-open waht became the first Comics & Comix store on Telegraph Ave with Bud Plant and John Barrett - but that is a long story for another time

This particular warehouse find was in the basement of a book store which had recently taken over the ground floor

i came into it, asked if he had any old comic books, said, yes, they are in the basement

i went down there with a flashlight, emrged covered in thick dust, the place had been not looked into for some decades,

found no comic books, but literally mounds of giveaway stuff

Ther are 4 Popped Wheat giveaway comic books liste din the Guide: Littel Orphan Anne, Smilin Jack, Terry & Pirates, Tracy - somehting like 10,000 of each were found by me of those that day

The Fawcett stuff had some what less.

The CApt Marvel Lighting Box had maybe a dozen, CM Magic Eyes a few hundred

The Flying CM, Three Flying CM, Shazam Game had some several thousand of each

CM Jr Ski Jump ditto

There were also Fawcett funny animal paper game things like Comic Clock

Plus there were non comic book air planes and fold out battle ships

I could work up a more detailed article to submit to a place like Alter Ego - it is a fun story

Is that what prompted you on your chosen career?

Heck no- I was out prospecting in the mid west beginning circa 1967, i would come into a town, pull out the phone book, hit every book store and antique shop listed, nuggets of "gold" were on the ground every where one could look back then - i would find this stuff, then take it to market at the early comicons sprouting up

Getting into the comics business full time involved a car engine blown up (65 Chevy Impala) in the Nevada desert leading to heading back to Berkeley in August 1972 to co-open waht became the first Comics & Comix store on Telegraph Ave with Bud Plant and John Barrett - but that is a long story for another time

This particular warehouse find was in the basement of a book store which had recently taken over the ground floor

i came into it, asked if he had any old comic books, said, yes, they are in the basement

i went down there with a flashlight, emrged covered in thick dust, the place had been not looked into for some decades,

found no comic books, but literally mounds of giveaway stuff

Ther are 4 Popped Wheat giveaway comic books liste din the Guide: Littel Orphan Anne, Smilin Jack, Terry & Pirates, Tracy - somehting like 10,000 of each were found by me of those that day

The Fawcett stuff had some what less.

The CApt Marvel Lighting Box had maybe a dozen, CM Magic Eyes a few hundred

The Flying CM, Three Flying CM, Shazam Game had some several thousand of each

CM Jr Ski Jump ditto

There were also Fawcett funny animal paper game things like Comic Clock

Plus there were non comic book air planes and fold out battle ships

I could work up a more detailed article to submit to a place like Alter Ego - it is a fun story

Great story!!! That is a dream for any collector. cloud9.gif

Did you buy any of these items? Any clue as to what happened to them in general, i.e., large sale somewhere of the collection, still dribbling in item by item after all these years, etc?

Were you in High School in Omaha in '69? If so which one. I graduated from Westside in '73 and my brother in '70.

Did you buy any/all of the stuff? If you have some of them I would be interested In Omaha Comic Book related materials.

Were you in High School in Omaha in '69? If so which one. I graduated from Westside in '73 and my brother in '70.

Did you buy any/all of the stuff? If you have some of them I would be interested In Omaha Comic Book related materials.

We came to Fremont Nebraska, 40 miles NW of Omaha from Saudi Arabia (where i grew up) shortly before JFK was assassinated - and i went thru Jr High and High School in Fremont - which was a huge culture shock after having been in 22 countries in Europe, Africa, Asia, North America before i was 12.

I moved a huge mountain of these way back when while in high school, saturated the fandom market at the time, then spent a couple years at UN-L before ending up in Berkeley San Francisco with Bud Plant and John Barrett opening up the first comic book chain store operation in 1972

I did not think that much about this stuff after the initial fascination wore off

I got much more wrapped up in 1973 setting world's records for "most valuable comic book" selling most of the aspects of the Tom Reilly "San Fran" comic book collection being the first person to break the two thousand dollar barrier on a comic book

bob beerbohm

Does anybody have any color scans of material from the Golden Age comic book promotional sales flyer/poster find of several years ago?

Details about the find were discussed in CBM and/or the old Overstreet Quarterly many years ago. Something about an old store of some kind that had been sealed up for many years and was literally stuffed with paper products of various kinds. Numerous publishers were represented, I especially recall the Timely examples because that's what interested me most at the time.

I believe I heard that Geppi scooped up the bulk of them. There are at least a couple of them pictured in Esquire's thread about the Geppi Museum opening.

Anybody have any other scans from the find or of similar material? I think they are an amazing GA collectable.

Does anybody have any color scans of material from the Golden Age comic book promotional sales flyer/poster find of several years ago?

Details about the find were discussed in CBM and/or the old Overstreet Quarterly many years ago. Something about an old store of some kind that had been sealed up for many years and was literally stuffed with paper products of various kinds. Numerous publishers were represented, I especially recall the Timely examples because that's what interested me most at the time.

I believe I heard that Geppi scooped up the bulk of them. There are at least a couple of them pictured in Esquire's thread about the Geppi Museum opening.

Anybody have any other scans from the find or of similar material? I think they are an amazing GA collectable.

I know we've had a couple threads that did mention promo flyers. I have one, though not sure if it was part of the find you reference or not.

JoeJinks.jpg

that would be Don Maris's find back in the 1960s in Oklahoma

Thanks for the info, I had always presumed the find was much later than that. Perhaps the article came out some time after Geppi got them, and that's what gave me that impression.

It was a drug store or something of that nature, wasn't it?

I know we've had a couple threads that did mention promo flyers. I have one, though not sure if it was part of the find you reference or not.

JoeJinks.jpg

The majority of the items from the Maris find have a penciled notation on them. These notations are found on the paperwork, fliers, etc. The find included not only comic related promotional items but also general magazine materials as well.

A Yellow Kid enameled lapel stud from 1896. The shirt reads "Hogan's Alley is Out Fer McKinley" and is the first example of a comic character promoting a political campaign.

1402976-promo4.JPG

1402976-promo4.JPG.b81febc2135ea56701dc47919c84fbe8.JPG

that would be Don Maris's find back in the 1960s in Oklahoma

Thanks for the info, I had always presumed the find was much later than that. Perhaps the article came out some time after Geppi got them, and that's what gave me that impression.

It was a drug store or something of that nature, wasn't it?

I got the story from my friend Don Maris and others who got stuff out of the building

There had been huge piles of newspapers yielding up many many newspaper strips as well.

The basement of the pharmacy was filled to the brim, nothing was thrown away, it seemed

Others besides Don got into this holdings in Oklahoma - Robert Brown, long time well known collector was also in there for some stuff - i bought multiple copies of Prince Valiant SUnday pages from the 1940s from him - one of the runs i traded to All Williamson for a large pile of his original art work, back in 1971

of course there were comic books and other mags in there as well, the first stuff to be liberated