• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question On Page Quality

68 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone can give my their opinon on page quality. I have noticed that most people will not give a second look at a comic with cream to off white pages. Is cream to off white pages that bad? confused-smiley-013.gif

I dont know if its that bad, but C/OW pages definatly takes a hit price wise.

I dont like to have C/OW pages, but I do have a book or two that has it. I will say that the difference in the "pretty factor" between white and C/OW is a bunch.

Thanks arex, I have three books with C/OW. Showcase 4, Showcase 22, and Incredible Hulk 1. I know those are key books and I was alittle concerned that maybe the C/OW turned them into garbage.
Those are good books I wouldnt care if they have brown pages insane.giftongue.gif

Let's just say that I would not be too proud to dig thru that trash if need be.

Seriously though, when it comes to viewing a book and it's state of preservation, cream colored pages receive somewhat of a bad rap. Sure everyone would like for their books to have snow white pages, but not all books were placed into archival supplies right after they were purchased. A book with white pages in a mylar sleeve stored in the proper environment (dark, dry) will maintain white pages for many, many years. A book from the 70's that already has cream pages was not taken care of in the same manner and suffers because of it. Therefore, it all comes down to preservation. Most hg collectors want their books to be as close to new as possible, and of course the pages go hand in hand with the outward structural appearance of the book. However, don't be ashamed of your sweet books that have them.

Scott

Thanks Scott, as you can see Im a newbie and have ben reading comments on this site for awhile. I finally got up the nerve to post and ask a questions. I have been wondering about this topic for awhile and I guess I have been alittle ashamed of the page quality of my books.

CGC have confirmed that Page Quality is factored into the overall grade. This means a 9.4 c/ow is probably nicer structurally than a 9.4 w. I guess it comes down to each buyer's personal preference.

I have an Avengers 17 C/OW that structurally is close to a 9.0, but some tanning and a name in pen on the inside BC brought it down to a 7.0.

Welcome to the boards and I hope you stick around for awhile. I understand about being hesitant is asking questions as some of our fellow members like to try and intimidate others when they feel they can. If you feel like you have a valid question, such as page quality, ask it. You might get some smart-a** responses, but you will also get some genuine ones. There are alot of good people on these boards and you can learn alot if you stick around. I certainly know that I have, and I feel that my purchases are much more informed now. Now......you need to post scans of those sweet books, and anything else nice you may have. thumbsup2.gif

Scott

Cream to Off-white pages are fine with me as long as the cover is bright.The only 2 things that are deal breakers for me are dark browning around the ends of the book,and Marvel chipping.I have a few c-ow books that have me scratching my head because they look better than alot of my ow-w books..... confused-smiley-013.gif

So then I can not see why the resell value of these comics take a beaten. I would think that it would definetly be a prefence for a buyer to not buy a comic with c/ow pages, but not to expect to payless

It works around demand Spider. Some people will not buy a book with C/OW pages. Period. So, when those people wont buy it, there is a lower demand. Also, there are people who will buy a C/OW book but wold rather have better pq (im one of them) so to get me/them to purchase a C/OW book, there needs to be a monetary incentive to do so, hence a lower price that I will pay.

I think the market has overvalued page quality and as a consequence, COWP books tend to be more of a bargain. The overvalueing comes from an inflated perception of the value of PQ drummed up by a minority of vocal collectors to whom this is important; most have not developed their own well-thought opinion of PQ but hear the hysteria over PQ and internalize it as fact. Everyone should remember that before CGC only a minority of collectors ever considered PQ. In fact, I believe the first few months of CGC grading PQ was NOT designated on the label, which I think implies something.

This is not to demean those who value PQ, as they have the right to weight any aesthetic quality of a book any way they want. Me, I don't like water damage or mustiness or large CB creases and will not buy such books anywhere near their typical market price.

As someone who focuses on GA, many of the books available that I am interested in are COWP. If the book looks nice the COWP impact my decision to buy very little.

The other issue is that many here have expressed the opinion the PQ designation by CGC is not very precise, and that it often changes upon resubmission, indicative of poor accuracy/precision and a lack of uniformity among graders.

If it is true that the numerical grade is influenced by the PQ, I find this incredibly stupid on the part of CGC. We don't know grading criteria, and to further confuse us we now have to guess how they they weight the PQ in their grade? Plus then books with COWP get a double whammy of prejudice in the grade and prejudice against the PQ designation. insane.gif