• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 1

125 posts in this topic

makepoint.gifWhat I mean is the CGC lists this Special Collectors Edition as a Varient. If you don't believe me then check the CGC census. You guys still haven't answered my question. Is it overpriced?

They use a universal template... that says "Country/Variant". Yours is the "country" half, 35 cent editions of 30 cent books are "variants". They separate the two b/c they're diff copies..

Brian

What I mean is the CGC lists this Special Collectors Edition as a Varient.

See my previous post. The SCE was a lower print run than the other X-Men #1 covers, thus the 'variant' status.

makepoint.gifWhat I mean is the CGC lists this Special Collectors Edition as a Varient. If you don't believe me then check the CGC census. You guys still haven't answered my question. Is it overpriced?

okay netmaster good point. I dont agree with CGC, but who cares, right? BUT--- if youre gonna keep talking about variAnts, youre gonna hafta start spelling it right!! nuff said. grin.gif

Wait a minute . . . 893frustrated.gif

I take that back. Country is seperated from variant on the census because if it is from another country then it would list it as so, but since it is a US copy it falls under Variant.

For a minute you almost had me convinced.

I know its not a Silver Age but I wanted your opinions

It's not separated at all.. it says "Country/Variant".. the U.S. copies are underneath the regular census, the extension is for the COUNTRY books. Take a look at the Iron Fist 14 census.. it shows the "Country/Variant" too.. the I.F. 14 that falls into that category ISN'T COUNTRY.

Brian

I think people are talking about two different things. I think Netmaster and a couple of other people are now talking about that POS X-Men book that I woulnd't line my birdcage with and everyone else is still talking about pence copies of Hulk #1.

I think Netmaster and a couple of other people are now talking about that POS X-Men book that I woulnd't line my birdcage with . . .

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif I couldn't have said it better myself Rob. Who would pay that price for a book that you could use for toilet paper?

But then you'd have all that ink on your !

I wanted to show what the X-Men movie insanity has done to the market.

ummm...these were "alternate" covers....again not really "variants".

Not according to the CGC. But then again, what do they know?

"True" variant comics that collectors seem to desire and pay larger amounts for were sort of a limited "test" to see if the market would support an increase in price. For example, in the past in the U.S., I believe that most areas received the 30 cent cover price for most issues of books. Other, limited areas, would then receive the same books but with 35 cent cover prices (true variants) to test how the price increase was accepted.

These "manufatured" variants (like the one your asking about - it was a purposefully manufactured in an attempt to make it collectable) might be worth more than the "regular" versions and may increase in value for a while, but many of them eventually take a nose dive. I don't know that much about this particular book. However, I think this one is priced way too high for a 9.6 cgc copy. That's just my opinion.

CGC lists it under their "country/vaiant" designation on the census as a "Special Collectors Edition". I don't think that means it's a variant in the "true" sense of the word.

Dan, are you feeling okay? That link you just posted lead me to the following sentence:

"As far as I'm concerned, price variants do not 'exist'!"

Not the sort of sentiment I would expect you to endorse shocked.gifshocked.gif

did u hear anything on this?

I'm sure he heard what the rest of us heard--the sound of Steve spitting soda all over his computer room and laughing uncontrollably. 27_laughing.gifstooges.gif

did u hear anything on this?

I'm sure he heard what the rest of us heard--the sound of Steve spitting soda all over his computer room and laughing uncontrollably. 27_laughing.gifstooges.gif

893Funny-thumb.gif

Pence copies are the way to go!

I'm glad I am not the only one...

"Hi, my name is netmaster, I'll be your ablue for the evening... Would you like to try one of our specials?"

Well maybe. Looks like instead of placing a reserve, Josh from ComicLink is going to be a shill bidder. Looks like since they are such buds that he could have just bought the book from Steve if he wanted it and avoided all those nasty ebay fees to start with.