• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM - Sub Mariner Comics #36

56 posts in this topic

Consider asking Metro for a bit of store credit? That's way off the mark with grading, although we all thought it was nicer too.

Yeah but they are the professionals not me so they should be able to pick up rat chew, etc. I've been down this road before so I don't know if I even want to bother.

You never had the book in hand before sending it in to CGC?

Consider asking Metro for a bit of store credit? That's way off the mark with grading, although we all thought it was nicer too.

Yeah but they are the professionals not me so they should be able to pick up rat chew, etc. I've been down this road before so I don't know if I even want to bother.

Silver, was it sent straight from Metro to CGC? I have to say I would have sent an 8.8(?) book with a chew on it back to them before having it graded. If you're a regular customer, I would think Metro would work something out - especially on a book where that sort of grade difference creates a big price difference. I haven't bought alot from Metro, but have found their grading to be generally more in the ballpark than that. The one book I bought that I thought they had overgraded by a couple of grades was a half-price sale book, it was cheap enough that I kept it.

Had the book, looked at it once but not very hard as I didn't want to disturb it before I sent it off to CGC (I get all paranoid that I'm going to trip and rip the book in half or something). I didn't inspect it with a fine tooth comb because this was going to CGC anyways and they can do a much better job than I can. Still not sure what I'm going to do with it to be honest, if it was a 7.5/8.0 I would probably just hang on to it as I have been after a high grade copy for some time.

Had the book, looked at it once but not very hard as I didn't want to disturb it before I sent it off to CGC (I get all paranoid that I'm going to trip and rip the book in half or something). I didn't inspect it with a fine tooth comb because this was going to CGC anyways and they can do a much better job than I can. Still not sure what I'm going to do with it to be honest, if it was a 7.5/8.0 I would probably just hang on to it as I have been after a high grade copy for some time.

It would compliment the # 42 you sold me pretty well. wink.gif

Of course, you'd probably be out a few bucks now that its a 7.0. Bummer. frown.gif

Perspective Time....

Let's think about this a little bit.....you thought highly enough of it to send it to CGC with expectations....the book hasn't changes and presents quite well. It's just in a holder that says 7.0....if you can't get your money back...it's still a beautiful book. thumbsup2.gif

Perspective Time....

Let's think about this a little bit.....you thought highly enough of it to send it to CGC with expectations....the book hasn't changes and presents quite well. It's just in a holder that says 7.0....if you can't get your money back...it's still a beautiful book. thumbsup2.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif There's no room for sense in this forum. Do your thinkin somewheres else.

Perspective Time....

893naughty-thumb.gif There's no room for sense in this forum. Do your thinkin somewheres else.

sorry.gifscrewy.gif

chew on the back bottom cover, foxing on the back cover

That helps explain the grade - are the crinkles in addition to the visible spine stress, and are they visible in the scan?

Also, what was Metro's grade?

8.8888+++ tonofbricks.gif Priced like that too.

I was just checking Metro's site and it looks like your old friend is now a deslabbed 8.0 and the price isn't too bad at $800. You should have sold it to me for what you sold it for on ebay back to them. I would have been much more tempted at that price.... sumo.gif You didn't happen to scan the back rat chews did you?

1459763-Metrosubby%24800.jpg

589a9143656ae_1459763-Metrosubby800.jpg.9b25c5fe222fda329c7ea496a150e06b.jpg

chew on the back bottom cover, foxing on the back cover

That helps explain the grade - are the crinkles in addition to the visible spine stress, and are they visible in the scan?

Also, what was Metro's grade?

8.8888+++ tonofbricks.gif Priced like that too.

Yeah, that's quite disappointing...but if you look at it on the brightside, you are now the wiser regarding Metropolis grading standards. If they say, 8.8888++ (whatever that means),

then to CGC, it is a 7.0!!

This also means one might considering employing a more agressive bargaining strategy with Metropolis.

Perspective Time....

Uh, yeah but Silver Surfer bought it from a reputable dealer as 8.8888 times log squared +++ grade and it came back a 7.0. Being a beautiful book doesn't enter into it. That is a given. Nature of the discussion is one of investment. Silver Surfer paid for a book at grade X but grade is professionally assessed at lower than X.

Perspective Time....

Uh, yeah but Silver Surfer bought it from a reputable dealer as 8.8888 times log squared +++ grade and it came back a 7.0. Being a beautiful book doesn't enter into it. That is a given. Nature of the discussion is one of investment. Silver Surfer paid for a book at grade X but grade is professionally assessed at lower than X.

I agree completely, but when I tried to buy it from him, he was asking around $800 which I though was too high per the grade.....so when I heard he sold it back to Metro for $600....I was bummed. Well now it's back at $800 and I won't touch it for that price.....especially with a rat chew. tonofbricks.gif

Perspective Time....

I agree completely, but when I tried to buy it from him, he was asking around $800 which I though was too high per the grade.....so when I heard he sold it back to Metro for $600....I was bummed. Well now it's back at $800 and I won't touch it for that price.....especially with a rat chew. tonofbricks.gif

I think I missed something...are you talking about 2 Submariner 36 copies? One in Silver Surfer's possession (generic chew)and one with Metro (rabietic rat chew)?

Perspective Time....

I think I missed something...are you talking about 2 Submariner 36 copies? One in Silver Surfer's possession (generic chew)and one with Metro (rabietic rat chew)?

it's the same copy man sumo.gif Metro has the same old scan that Surfer used to ask for grades in this thread in the first place gossip.gif

Everyone graded it based upon the Metro scan without a back cover scan.....just goes to show you how important all the pieces to the puzzle are when buying. CGC said it was a 7.0.....Metro had said it was an 8.8888++++ and now apparently they think that the average board grading from the front cover alone Merits reselling it as an 8.0 ....it was discussed a while back. makepoint.gif

I was bummed as I wanted to buy it from him....but he was asking $800 for it in an attempt to recoup some of his initial cost. I didn't want to counter offer as I figured he was already taking a bath. tonofbricks.gif

I didn't realize he'd sell it on ebay for $600 foreheadslap.gif I wonder what he paid for it the first go around at Metro....I never did ask him. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Just to summarize the history on this book:

- Bought raw for $1,000, listed as an 8.88888+++.

- Had it graded, came back as a CGC 7.0.

- PM'd Metro to just ask about their feedback on the grade as their was some rat chew noticed on the book, no repsonse at all.

- Was sick of the whole transaction so I decided to list it on EBay with a best offer option.

- Received a $600 bid and because I wanted to purge muself of this book accepted it. Didn't relaize until I sent the invoice that the buyer was actually Metro.

- Few weeks late the book appears to be back on the website, cracked out of the slabb and now listed as an 8.0 and for $800.

- PM'd Metro to just ask about their feedback on the grade as their was some rat chew noticed on the book, no repsonse at all.

- Was sick of the whole transaction so I decided to list it on EBay with a best offer option.

- Received a $600 bid and because I wanted to purge muself of this book accepted it. Didn't relaize until I sent the invoice that the buyer was actually Metro.

- Few weeks late the book appears to be back on the website, cracked out of the slabb and now listed as an 8.0 and for $800.

At least it's not a Metro 8.8888++++ these days...and the price is lowered....they must have seen the rat chew this time. Of course CGC did too....and the subsequent 7.0 grade that goes with it. tonofbricks.gifmakepoint.gif

Strange. Why would Metro want to rebuy the book?! For a colossal company like them, a $200 return doesn't seem all that much.

Strange. Why would Metro want to rebuy the book?! For a colossal company like them, a $200 return doesn't seem all that much.

It's got to be the satisfaction of 893censored-thumb.gif the little guy on this one. cloud9.gif