• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just killed the GPA average

29 posts in this topic

Dude, when i bought my JIM #89 8.5 from Burntboy's collection I paid almost 3 times GPA. When i bought my DD #7 9.2 I paid 2 times GPA. I totally agree. FMV is meaningless when you really want something.

thumbsup2.gif

If no one ever paid higher than the GPA average, then the GPA average would never increase.

And yet there are many here who view paying above the GPA average as some kind of mortal sin or sign of severe mental retardation.

You didn't pay a lot for those silly DC's did you? insane.gif

Forgive me father, for I have sinned. grin.gif

I think Heritages numbers are screwy because you have to factor in buyers premium

Why? That's the total amount paid. Any rational bidder on Heritage factors the BP into his bid price (they take what they're willing to pay and divide by 1.195, and that's the bid price they enter).

What I mean is since Heritage is breaking records all the time if you factor in the buyers premium on top of what is reported to GPA then in reality the averages would be a lot more.

You have to remember, as earlier stated, not everyone uses GPA so people are gonna bid on Heritage auctions not just for what is there but also because of who they are...

I think people get caught up in the bidding "frenzy" much more so than they do on eBay.

I don't see many "bargains" on Heritage, not to mention adding in the buyers premium.

I saw two complete full run Warren collections of Vampirella NOT sell for $1000 each on eBay but someone bought the one that Heritage sold for over $2000 a few weeks ago.

The ones on eBay were great condition also... had I have had the money I probably would have paid the $1200 that it would have taken to purchase them.

I think Heritages numbers are screwy because you have to factor in buyers premium

Why? That's the total amount paid. Any rational bidder on Heritage factors the BP into his bid price (they take what they're willing to pay and divide by 1.195, and that's the bid price they enter).

What I mean is since Heritage is breaking records all the time if you factor in the buyers premium on top of what is reported to GPA then in reality the averages would be a lot more.

You have to remember, as earlier stated, not everyone uses GPA so people are gonna bid on Heritage auctions not just for what is there but also because of who they are...

I think people get caught up in the bidding "frenzy" much more so than they do on eBay.

I don't see many "bargains" on Heritage, not to mention adding in the buyers premium.

I saw two complete full run Warren collections of Vampirella NOT sell for $1000 each on eBay but someone bought the one that Heritage sold for over $2000 a few weeks ago.

The ones on eBay were great condition also... had I have had the money I probably would have paid the $1200 that it would have taken to purchase them.

The numbers that Heritage reports include the buyer's premium. They don't report 100, but 119.50 that the buyer actually paid.

The buyer's premium is reported in the final price to us, and reflected in GPA - is that what you mean?

Also, with respects to the network pool of prices, we report from a dozen different venues - you might like to visit our home page and click on "Who We Track".

Finally, on reporting even more detail for individual sales, I agree with you completely. FFB has been whipping me with a wet lettuce leaf for a while ( hi.gif FFB ) to include page quality as a minimum. A little backround on this. About a year after we started reporting sales we began recording the page quality of each sale in our system. This turned out to be one enormous undertaking, especially since we had to scrutinize every sale (in most cases). At the beginning of 2005 we decided this was not the best undertaking and chose to record the full CGC serial number instead - most of the dealers/auction houses who report to us send us this information, and with auctions such as those on eBay, we have developed software that "looks" at the CGC label and automatically grabs the number.

"What has this to do with PQ" I hear you ask. Well, using the serial number you can interrogate the CGC web site and get all the information about the book (including any graders' notes, if/when CGC release this data).

We have a few things to think about I guess if we were to implement this, i.e. showing the serial number against each sale - firstly, not every sale will have a serial number associated with it; secondly, and especially with respects to eBay sales, almost no sales will have a serial number prior to Jan 2005 - Heritage and some other dealers will have more complete information; and thirdly, not everyone has the capacity to look up serial numbers through the CGC web site.

Finally, none of this will be implemented until the new release of GPA for Comics is ready, which will have the above, plus some further exciting enhancements I think you will all be very happy with flowerred.gif

The buyer's premium is reported in the final price to us, and reflected in GPA - is that what you mean?

Also, with respects to the network pool of prices, we report from a dozen different venues - you might like to visit our home page and click on "Who We Track".

Finally, on reporting even more detail for individual sales, I agree with you completely. FFB has been whipping me with a wet lettuce leaf for a while ( hi.gif FFB ) to include page quality as a minimum. A little backround on this. About a year after we started reporting sales we began recording the page quality of each sale in our system. This turned out to be one enormous undertaking, especially since we had to scrutinize every sale (in most cases). At the beginning of 2005 we decided this was not the best undertaking and chose to record the full CGC serial number instead - most of the dealers/auction houses who report to us send us this information, and with auctions such as those on eBay, we have developed software that "looks" at the CGC label and automatically grabs the number.

"What has this to do with PQ" I hear you ask. Well, using the serial number you can interrogate the CGC web site and get all the information about the book (including any graders' notes, if/when CGC release this data).

We have a few things to think about I guess if we were to implement this, i.e. showing the serial number against each sale - firstly, not every sale will have a serial number associated with it; secondly, and especially with respects to eBay sales, almost no sales will have a serial number prior to Jan 2005 - Heritage and some other dealers will have more complete information; and thirdly, not everyone has the capacity to look up serial numbers through the CGC web site.

Finally, none of this will be implemented until the new release of GPA for Comics is ready, which will have the above, plus some further exciting enhancements I think you will all be very happy with flowerred.gif

Thanks for the info! I do subscribe to your site and find it to be a great resource. Any and all new additions to it I'm sure will be cloud9.gif

Actually, the funny thing is that anyone who bids on a book on Heritage has access to the GPA data for that book. There's a link to GPA in each Heritage listing. If the bidder chooses not to access that data, that's his own choice.

Hi George

Congrats again on a great service ! thumbsup2.gif My only gripe with the GPA format is that when I am searching for the 1963 X-Men series for instance, I have to wade through dozens of other X-men one shot titles etc to get to it.

I am aware I have the option of saving titles to my favourites list (which I do), but wouldn't it be better to rank titles by the most commonly sought after, rather than alphabetically. (or at least have the main title at the head of the list, and then rank alphabetically).

I can't be the only person who is tired of wading through dozens of meaningless titles to get to the one 99% of people will be looking for ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Actually, the funny thing is that anyone who bids on a book on Heritage has access to the GPA data for that book. There's a link to GPA in each Heritage listing. If the bidder chooses not to access that data, that's his own choice.

Well, it still doesn't explain the ridiculous prices that Heritage gets sometimes on books or certain runs.