• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Would Bring in More Cash?

36 posts in this topic

doesn't matter what i pay today. i'm paying the going rate. lets just say i paid exactly guide for both raw and cgc.

Maybe I don't understand your initial question. Are you asking: "Will a the same book be worth more slabbed or raw in 10 years?"

OR

"Would I be better served investing in a raw or slabbed book today? Which book would get me the most PROFIT in 10 years?"

OR

"If I advertise my books have been 'preserved in a CGC holder for the last 10 years!' will I get more money?"

Q1: I don't know and don't care because you can just get the raw book slabbed in 10 years if proves to be worth more then.

Q2: Profit has everything to do with how much you pay. The best course of action is determined on the difference in present FMV of slabbed vs. unslabbed. I'd say pay no more than the grading fee as a premium over the unslabbed value because if it is the same book... get it CGC'd yourself - don't pay some shlub to send it in for you.

Q3: No.

Now how to preserve over the next 10 years is a much more interested and valid question. Who knows, maybe all CGC holders are set to self destruct in T-Minus 9.9 years...

-Bob

forget it Christo_pull_hair.gif

My take is that you really want to know if a slabbed CGC book will retain this weird premium that we currently see.

By default a true, raw 9.8 should cost the same as a CGC 9.8 plus the cost of submitting. But that isn't what we see. People are paying STUPID times the money for the CGC.

Is this because of the "insurance" that the grading is accurate? Are these speculators paying the big bucks? I don't know.

My own observation is that this willingness to pay more for CGC is slowing down. No longer is a 9.8 going to fetch mad money. If that continues, which I think it will, then your slabbed books will be worth about the same as the CGC's. Considering you will have paid alot more for the CGC's now ... you'll lose money.

MAYBE there will still be a premium price on 10.0s in 10 years but nothing lower IMHO.

Ubie X

I attribute this to the laziness of the High End casual collector, who believes that buying comic books is an investment. No one wants to take the time to grade. No, I won't repeat the equation. The reason I buy a books is because of 1) Resto Check(I don't have equipment to accurately do this and there is some dispute on CGC's accuracy and 2) I like having my books in a nicely preserved container. Again some dispute here. Ultimately, it comes down to whether I believe CGC is right on the grade. I picked up a Whiz Comics #126 for the Crippen collection. From the scan, I had my doubts but the price was right. Brought it home, looked at it and it is probably the best book I have for cover appeal. I have a 9.0 CGC Captain Marvel Adventures 105(I think) that doesn't look half as good but I bid the 8.0 price. People have to learn to buy the book and not the label. I believe they are learning but the market will take quite a bit to get that one straight.

If the raw books are really the same grade as the slabbed(rather than your typical eBay seller's idea of what a 9.4 should look like), then I think the raw books would be worth more in ten years. They're less likely to have reached their "full potential".

Look at other markets, the only one I know is sports cards. The entire market crashed but which crashed worse the graded cards or the ungraded? I would say on a % the graded cards are more volatile. Although in many cases (pun intended) the cards are unsellable unless graded. Try and sell a Nolan Ryan 1984 card today. Or a VG 1972 Pete Rose. You might get a quarter. Graded though, and they get at least something. If the market keeps going up the best CGC will easily out do the best Raw. More risk though. Risk v Return is true in collectibles and true in securities.

BTW nothing goes up forever and cards stamps and coins have all had crashes that make the current comic market look like a bubble. Everyone has an opinion but the second every collector thinks comics can do nothing but go up, the bell is ringing the top of the market.

"(When playing poker), If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker"

Also a comment on collectibles <> investments

While basically true (and humorous every time I see it), underlying it means that if you are paying retail and selling on ebay its basically impossible to make money. but if you are doing anything else, it means you probably aren't a true collector, you're a dealer or middleman. Its like trying to make money on $150 designer jeans, its not going to work unless you are in the business itself and even then...

If the raw books are really the same grade as the slabbed(rather than your typical eBay seller's idea of what a 9.4 should look like), then I think the raw books would be worth more in ten years. They're less likely to have reached their "full potential".

thumbsup2.gif

yes, that is what i'm talking about. thumbsup2.gif

my thoughts as well

But what is a 9.4 today raw can you guarantee it will stay a 9.4?

At least with a slab you know the grade wont change due to box ware and tare.

just food for thought.

Do you honestly believe that a CGC slab is safer than a Mylar & a fullback?

Tremendous topic, guys. I just read the whole thing and, besides a strong urge to start taking donations to pay greggy to keep his drawers on, I'm really wondering where this is going: It def. appears that prices have levelled out, but every time I think the madness is over someone pays crazy $ for a HG common book. confused-smiley-013.gif

But what is a 9.4 today raw can you guarantee it will stay a 9.4?

At least with a slab you know the grade wont change due to box ware and tare.

just food for thought.

Do you honestly believe that a CGC slab is safer than a Mylar & a fullback?

893blahblah.gifpoke2.gif