• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Central Valley Collection

82 posts in this topic

Fantastic 3 was CGC 5.5 and was asking $19000

That's correct ($18,750 to be precise).

Well, are ya all sandbagging or what? I did pull the trigger on 4 more of the books and am so glad I did - these are oh so lovely.

Someone just barely edged me out with an email for 2 others (the 'Tec 45 and Batman 2), so the hit squads will be assembled as soon as I learn who it was (that's what I get for opening my big mouth foreheadslap.gif)

Seriously, these are well worth a look and I hope that some of the books at least go to board members - several of you have helped me out in the recent past, and I'm grateful.

STEVE

Steve, do you think in your opinion , that he will get that price ?? Or close to it ?? What do you guys think a Fantastic # 3 in Fine - will go for?. Hertage sold one for $ 7, 500, I recall a couple of years ago I may be wrong . confused-smiley-013.gif Any thoughts??

Steve, do you think in your opinion , that he will get that price ?? Or close to it ?? What do you guys think a Fantastic # 3 in Fine - will go for?. Hertage sold one for $ 7, 500, I recall a couple of years ago I may be wrong . confused-smiley-013.gif Any thoughts??

I think anyone who really wants one, can afford the price, and holds that book in his hands will pay it. The book looks amazing, regardless of the spine split. Superb colors and fresh paper. Someone will eventually buy it. Just probably not until they hold it in their hands though.

Heritage sold a Fantastic #3 a few years ago, I believe, for $12,500 or so. It was a CGC 5.5. I can tell you that other than the spine split, the Central Valley copy looks soooo nice. I love a mid grade book with one significant flaw like that, but the eye appeal of a much higher grade. And with white pages to boot.

I was fortunate enough to view and inspect first hand a couple of the early Actions and acquire one of these beauties. I can tell you the quality on these books are as good as it gets and I think Steve can attest to that. They are right up there with the more prominent pedigrees. The price on that Fantastic #3 may seem aggressive, but with such a one of a kind book like that...you just never know.

I think stagedoorjohnny pretty much nailed it.

STEVE

Just in case anyone reading the thread hasn't seen it, here is the Central Valley copy of Suspense #3.

Suspense #3? Was that some sort of Freudian slip? wink.gif

27_laughing.gif Maybe it was! Thanks for the heads up. I fixed my typo. insane.gif

I thought I'd post an interior shot (this is the last page of the Sandman story) from the Central Valley copy of Adventure 50.

When the CGC label says "White Pages", let me tell you folk...these are WHITE pages!

100_1343.jpg

STEVE

I thought I'd post an interior shot (this is the last page of the Sandman story) from the Central Valley copy of Adventure 50.

When the CGC label says "White Pages", let me tell you folk...these are WHITE pages!

100_1343.jpg

STEVE

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif

Oh my god!!!! So pretty....must touch.....must have.......There's nothing like these boards to make one feel inferior. How'd that happen? I have books with so called white pages...but not that same day it's printed white. What's the grade on that book? I understand all about storage and compression etc. etc. , but that's so nice.

100_1343.jpg

STEVE

Are those books for sale online somewhere, or do you just have to call Brian directly to get a price list? That is some amazing paper preservation. hail.gif

BH, the Adventure 50 was a CGC 5.0 because the spine is split up to the bottom staple. Otherwise, as fresh and white a book I've never seen!

Scott, I just contacted Brian direct at: brian@a-1comics.com.

Wish I knew where the Batman 2 and Detective 45 went...I wanted those books!!! (now so, more than ever).

STEVE

Be advised that the books aren't cheap, i.e., the higher grade/highest graded books can run 3x Guide (e.g., the Superman 4 and Superman 5 are $30k each). Of course, we already know what the Fantastic 3 is going for (too rich for my blood). However, the 7.5's and 8.5's are reasonable, and that's what I went for.

But for once, it's no hype (the following quote from the comic-pedigree website):

"It's name is the Central Valley Collection, which represents where the original owner bought and stored his books in California. This accumulation heralds from the early Golden Age, and exhibits some of the freshest, whitest pages and richest colors we've ever seen. It's not crazy to compare them to the San Francisco collection (notorious for blinding white pages) because they're that fresh."

or Steve Borock says:

"When I went out to see the collection, it blew away all of my expectations. After working at CGC and grading almost a million books, and owning some of the best books in the world prior to CGC, I have never seen some of these issues in any grade, let alone in these high grades. The page quality of these books rivals, if not blows away the quality of the Mile Highs and San Franciscos.

The Central Valleys have so far been somewhat under the radar because Brian keeps a low profile and representation of superhero books in the collection is not the majority. Nonetheless, I predict that the CV books will be eagerly sought after in the future - one look, and I was hooked.

STEVE