• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Central Valley Collection

82 posts in this topic

Sorry if I'm late to the game but I just saw the info below regarding the Central Valley Collection on the GPA newsletter. Wow. Did those great Actions and TECs sell already? Does A-1 have a website with them on it?

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Don Rosa pedigree collection/Central Valley grades unveiled at ComicPedigrees.com

Comicpedigrees.com is proud to announce the long-awaited release of the Don Rosa collection to the public this month! Featuring over 6,000 comics, this amazing collection was only offered to collectors at four shows last year, with a few select books reaching ebay. It has been completely off the market for almost a year. Starting with the Marvel titles A through M, comicpedigrees.com will list almost 2000 Don Rosa books for sale Friday, September 22nd. Included will be 400 CGC graded issues, of which nearly 200 grade 9.6 and 100 grade 9.8!

Accumulated by world-renowned and Eisner award winning comic book artist, writer, and historian, Keno Don Rosa, this collection contained every comic book and magazine issued from every publisher from 1966 to the late 1980's. Rosa began collecting in earnest in 1962, as he purchased each comic from the newsstands, read them only once, and carefully tucked them away in optimum storage conditions, using archival boxes and a climate controlled "vault." Because they were stored in such an environment with no use of polybags, each book exhibits a brilliant sheen, deep ink reflectivity, sharp corners and a fresh newsstand appearance.

Since the 1960's, Don Rosa has been recognized as one of the first comics history scholars of fandom. He has written and illustrated Question & Answer columns for the major fanzines of the 1970's, including such notable publications as Rocket's Blast Comiccollector, CBG (TBG), Comics Journal, and Amazing Heroes. During the 1980's Rosa gained fame as one of the world's most famous and recognized cartoonists as he worked on the Duck books for Disney and Gladstone.

In addition to the release of the Don Rosa collection, CBP has also released the CGC grades for the famous Central Valley Collection, unveiled at San Diego Comic Con this summer. This exceptional collection rivals the Mile Highs and San Franciscos in terms of page quality and grade, and has never been offered for sale before. Most of the grades are the highest on CGC's census. Some highlights include Action #30 CGC 9.4, Batman #5 CGC 9.6, Batman #6 CGC 9.4, Detective #44 CGC 9.4, Detective #46 CGC 9.6, Etta Kett #11 CGC 9.8 double cover, Feature Book #39 CGC 9.4, Four Color #28 CGC 9.4, Mutt and Jeff #2 CGC 9.4, Planet #4 CGC 9.2, Single Series #20 (Tarzan) CGC 9.4, Superman #4 CGC 9.2, Superman #5 CGC 9.4 and Superman #10 CGC 9.6. All but the Action #30 have WHITE pages!

Matt Nelson, co-founder of CBP, concludes, "while you're visiting comicpedigrees.com, don't forget to register for our monthly newsletter and updates on our forthcoming book on the greatest pedigreed collections ever found. We have fantastic plans for CBP in the future, and we don't want anyone to miss out."

I spoke to Brian Peets/A-1briefly in San Diego, and he was taking email addresses to keep in touch with interested parties - that' s probably the best way to stay updated (I don't believe anything has been sent out yet).

STEVE

Got Larson?

From the latest Scoop: Maybe these books haven't even been offered for sale yet...

>>>>>>>>>>

"This collection represent a tough time period during the Golden Age of comics. WHEN the collection finally hits the market, it will give seasoned collectors who have been forever looking for these scarce comics an opportunity to finally obtain high grade examples of books they thought they never could," said Borock.

I had heard from another board member that the Central Valley books were starting to come out, so I contacted the seller (Brian Peets at A-1 Comics) and just obtained two of them: Adventure 50 (CGC 5.0, white pages) and Jungle 3 (CGC 8.5, white pages).

Here's the Jungle 3 - I hope the scan is able to show just how fresh this book is!

100_1315.jpg

STEVE

Off the top of my head

The Actions and Batmans have sold but the Tecs and Supermans have not (for the most part) The Four Color 74 and Tarzan sold but the Fantastic #3 is still available.

www.A-1comics.com

There's a gap between the primo stuff (some of which has already sold, as noted) and a large grouping of much lesser demand material. Still, even to obtain just one of these books is a treat as they favorably compare to any of the other pedigrees out there (and I've probably seen them all).

I highly recommend Brian Peets as one of the "good guys" in the hobby.

STEVE

I don't precisely know what the Fantastic 3 is going for, but it's rumored to be a lot (as I'd expect on a book like that).

Here's the Adventure 50 - gorgeous copy (white pages, too) except for the bottom spine split (up to the lower staple).

IIRC - and it's been years since I've seen the book in person - the Fantastic 3 is very similar but the split is at the top of the spine instead of the bottom.

100_1313.jpg

STEVE

Here's the Adventure 50 - gorgeous copy (white pages, too) except for the bottom spine split (up to the lower staple).

100_1313.jpg

STEVE

Great pick-up. What a gorgeous copy, with a single defect to bring the grade down to a reasonable price level.

I'm jealous! thumbsup2.gif