• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just nuts

10 posts in this topic

You could get a darn nice golden age book in CGC 9.4 for $5K.... why $5K for such a minor bronze key?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

CGC Iron Fist #14 9.4 Tops $5,000

Auctions/Prices, Scoop, Friday, September 15, 2006

A CGC-certified 9.4 copy of Iron Fist #14 35-cent variant edition with off-white to white pages sold for $5,100 after receiving 20 bids. This issue of Iron Fist features the first appearance of Sabertooth. The CGC Census currently notes 19 copies certified with the highest single certified copy grading 9.4.

Buying comics in general is just nuts

But reading comics in general is fun.

Spending $5,000 for a minor Bronze key is nuts. For that kind of cash you could get a beater Batman 1 or a nice Phantom Lady.

To each is own.....i agree there are more solid investments from the golden age...but who knows where this one will go in the coming years? i would love to have a copy...but i wouldnt pay more than $1000 for it. i also wouldnt expect it to be above a 9.0...theres a 8.5 on ebay that missed its reserve ( about $2000) and the highest bid was $1100 an change...

Okay - I realize collectors go nuts over high grade price variants - I suppose they are pretty much the only truely scarce BA Marvels. But what is up with IF #14 - I dimly recall that Sabretooth was ret-conned as Wolverine's dad or something

a number of years back - but really - how important does that make him? Can some X-Men/Wolverine fan explain to me why this book is such a big deal?

According to John Byrne's website (I paid it a visit after the Steve Irwin furore):

http://www.byrnerobotics.com/FAQ/listing.asp?ID=3&T1=Questions+about+Aborted+Storylines#207

So that was the original plan, then abandoned; I am sufficiently out of touch that I don't know whether they decided to go with that 20 years later.

And no, the book is nothing special, and yes, 5000 dollars is a crazy amount of money to throw away on a common book.

It is a highly collectible variant and there are only a few graded. This one happens to be the highest graded bronze price variant and the best one of those with a first appearance by Byrne.

Still crazy.

30x guide for a variant seems spectacularly insane to me, although I withdraw the word "common" from my previous post. wink.gif Let's replace it with "bronze".

I'm surprised that there haven't been any others graded that high, but I suppose variant collectors would only slab if they were going to sell, and by definition someone trying to assemble the price variant sets is not going to part with their nicest copies.

You could get a darn nice golden age book in CGC 9.4 for $5K.... why $5K for such a minor bronze key?

A CGC-certified 9.4 copy of Iron Fist #14 35-cent variant edition with off-white to white pages sold for $5,100 after receiving 20 bids. This issue of Iron Fist features the first appearance of Sabertooth. The CGC Census currently notes 19 copies certified with the highest single certified copy grading 9.4.

You are correct....you could get a darn nice golden age book for $5k. This buyer bought a grade...not a comic book. The problem with buying a grade, especially in this case, is with a 9.4 on a book this recently printed, it is very feasible that within a few years there will be a 9.6, and possibly even a 9.8. Then what do you have? You have a $5,000 investment turn into $1750 real quick.

On the other hand, when you buy a comic book for $5,000, there are very few circumstances that will have it nose dive in value......including the next time the CGC census is updated 893scratchchin-thumb.gif