• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #251 Original Art.

21 posts in this topic

A BS page just sold for $3,950 - I think it was March? The color art for the cover just sold recently on ebay - $250???? . . .

DAM

I was the underbidder on that colour guide. One of those auctions that closed in the middle of the night (for me). 893frustrated.gif

Neal Adams guides go for big bucks. As a matter of fact, all guides are increasing. I noticed today that David Alexander has none left in his storefront whereas 6 months ago he would have had over 50.

Do you mean the color guides? The book value of all NA stuff?

DAM

Yes and yes.

I personally prefer the DC 4 page acetates to the hand coloured guides, but then I am not real choosy.

I don't go for many marvel guides because most of them are just photo stats.

Forget the art, there's a dog reading a comic book!!! This is huge news. There's going to be a whole new "breed" of collectors coming in now!!

Btw, know of any places for Travis Charest art..or Gene Colan?

Brian

Btw, what's up with some of the prices on there. 15k for a so-so ASM cover? 25k for a recreation by Schomburg? That's nuts. I thought this stuff was somewhat expensive but some of these prices are out the window. However, I'm sure ppl say the same thing about some of the real pricey comics.. :\

Brian

Mrs & Mr Gene Colan sell 60s-70s orig. comic art every week on eBay. I believe they may also have a website to take pencil/ink commissions on cover/splash page recreations. Both of them show up at San Diego comicon most every year.

Danker of MonstersCollectibles is not cheap. That is why his site is good to look at for a wide variety of different artists/genres/decades. Danker used to have a pic of N Adams Bat 251 art on his site a couple of months ago. Some of the Kirby art is on consignment, but most of the art is his. 893blahblah.gif

Danker of MonstersCollectibles is not cheap. That is why his site is good to look at for a wide variety of different artists/genres/decades. Danker used to have a pic of N Adams Bat 251 art on his site a couple of months ago. Some of the Kirby art is on consignment, but most of the art is his. 893blahblah.gif

What is the website name?

What is the website name?

Ken Danker's website!

However he showed me some more of his Vampire drawings which were VERY impressive

He did some amazing work on Dracula. It would be great if you could post here what you end up with, I love Colan's work and it would be cool to see a commisioned piece. cloud9.gif

I originally wanted him to do a cover recreation of a Schomburg Cap cover, but then I'd have to get someone to ink it and I don't really want to go through all that trouble. Plus that stuff gets really pricey. So I've been looking over some of his stuff, I like those War memorial ones..but since I wasn't in a war and am not giving it to someone that was.. they don't really fit. tongue.gif

Brian

No, Cap. However he showed me some more of his Vampire drawings which were VERY impressive. So I dunno what I plan to do.

Brian

Brian - its time to be a man and step up to the plate with the TOD 10 cover up for sale in july via heritage! why get a commission when you can get the real deal baby! tongue.gif

DAM

I'm not a big fan of that cover. :\

Anyways, I'm also not a fan of these prices for covers. You can get some really nice non-comic artwork for that price..which is what I don't get.. Comic art and Comics are not as large as the art market as a whole, and it looks like there aren't as many buyers yet somehow this stuff sells for way high. I can understand transcending pieces done by artists that non-comic ppl would know like Jack Kirby.. anyways, I won't be bidding on that cover tongue.gif

Brian