• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No more buying back issue comics?

22 posts in this topic

Why is it that all my eBay purchases lately have been OA instead of older comics?

I still have a want list of books I need to complete runs but I just seem so obsessed with OA. Have I become one of those addicts I used to laugh about on the Moderns section?

More importantly, should I seek professional help ... or just keep spending my money on nice, one of a kind originals???

stooges.gif

Ubie X

Why is it that all my eBay purchases lately have been OA instead of older comics?

When working on a budget it gets harder and harder to validate spending $XXX on a book when you can get a cover or splash for the same amount of money. For Example, just today I finalized a deal for a painted Fegredo LUCIFER cover for under $500. I could have spent the money on a book and passed on the cover, but the book(or one just like it) will be there later when I get some more money confused-smiley-013.gif

Have I become one of those addicts I used to laugh about on the Moderns section?

Yes, yes you have stooges.gif

I still have a want list of books I need to complete runs but I just seem so obsessed with OA. Have I become one of those addicts I used to laugh about on the Moderns section?

More importantly, should I seek professional help ... or just keep spending my money on nice, one of a kind originals???

stooges.gif

Ubie X

Who needs older comic-books at exorbitant prices? I replaced most of my old comic-book collection, years ago, with inexpensive reprint editions - that I can actually thumb through and read (instead of admiring the front and back covers encapsulated in a plastic slab).

Have I become one of those addicts I used to laugh about on the Moderns section?

Yes

More importantly, should I seek professional help

Not needed

or just keep spending my money on nice, one of a kind originals???

Yes

What are these "comic books" you speak of? Do you mean the OA catalogs that come out every Wednesday?

sign-funnypost.gif

Beautiful ... gorgeous ... and at the sametime ... validating.

Now, who wants to buy my catalogs cause I still have wall space!

Ubie X

The thing is that my favorite books get me to triple, if not quadruple dip. I get the single issues to read and file away at home, a set of TPB's to keep on the shelf at home for easy reading and reference, (pages dogeared, notes written on inside) a set of TPB's to keep on my shelves at work for, again, easy reference, and finally a copy to lend out to friends/co-workers. (these are almost always lent out cause people don't know how to read and return properly)

It's madness! But I figure I'm supporting the books and creators I enjoy. Affordable TPB's are essential for the OA enthusiast!

Does anyone else try to buy the absolutely nicest copy of a comic that they own the original art of the cover for?

That is the only time that I obsess over a comic & its condition.

Yup

I do it all the time!

Does anyone else try to buy the absolutely nicest copy of a comic that they own the original art of the cover for?

I think I only own 1 or two comics that the original art I own was published in. If I see art I like, I try to buy it whether or not I've actually read the comic. At some point I'll try to get the comics to match my art but it's not a priority for me at the moment.

Not if it involves paying extortionate prices. Then, I'd prefer to buy OA.

There have been times in the past, where I've bought a piece of OA that cost less than the price of the comic-book (as an old back-issue) it came from. To me, that's just screwy.gif

Ditto....just doesn't make any sense to me either. You gotta remember....comics are printed in the thousands....so you can find one or more copies.

Original Art...ONLY 1 in existence. headbang.gif

Don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out which to choose, eh! grin.gif

-H

Ditto....just doesn't make any sense to me either. You gotta remember....comics are printed in the thousands....so you can find one or more copies.

Original Art...ONLY 1 in existence. headbang.gif

Don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out which to choose, eh! grin.gif

-H

It comes down to personal preference really. Of course OA collectors are going to promote it over comic books! 27_laughing.gif

Pose the question in comics general and I'm sure you would get some differing responses. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif