• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whether to CGC before selling?

16 posts in this topic

I have a small group of DC Jimmy Olsen/Lois lane/Superboy/World's Finest from 1969 to 1971. All were bought from main dealers around ten years ago, with range grade NM- to NM, but they only guide at around $30 a book in 9.2. I can't decide whether to sell raw or have them CGC graded first. I appreciate that raw on ebay they would probably sell around 50% of guide, even with huge scans. The risk is that once graded they may still only sell at around guide making them virtual giveaways after grading costs. Anyone got any opinions as to what I should do?

Send them in for prescreening. I can't remember if there's a minimum number of books that have to be sent. But it's much cheaper to have them prescreened with your designatied grade of 9.4 or better. If they don't meet the grade you want then CGC won't slab them. This will help hedge those potential "set up" fees prior to selling and take away the mystery for you.

You need to find out what the books you are thinking of slabbing sell for in the conditions you are likely to get. Until you know this, it's very difficult to know whether or not you should slab them. GPAnalysis is the place to start. LINK

I have a small group of DC Jimmy Olsen/Lois lane/Superboy/World's Finest from 1969 to 1971. All were bought from main dealers around ten years ago, with range grade NM- to NM, but they only guide at around $30 a book in 9.2. I can't decide whether to sell raw or have them CGC graded first. I appreciate that raw on ebay they would probably sell around 50% of guide, even with huge scans. The risk is that once graded they may still only sell at around guide making them virtual giveaways after grading costs. Anyone got any opinions as to what I should do?

You really need to consider how "well" the books were graded a decade ago. A 1995 NM- != 2006 NM-.

Send them in for prescreening. I can't remember if there's a minimum number of books that have to be sent. But it's much cheaper to have them prescreened with your designatied grade of 9.4 or better. If they don't meet the grade you want then CGC won't slab them. This will help hedge those potential "set up" fees prior to selling and take away the mystery for you.

There's a minimum of 50 books for a pre-screen I think.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. Much appreciated! I have a lot of nice books I want to sell; to start with I just want to show I will be a responsible seller. If that means losing money on small books to build a reputation well that's OK. Maybe then potential buyers will feel confident to bid on more expensive items? All my books are genuinely very high grade so hopefully buyers will be happy with my comics whether raw or CGC'd. Perhaps the CGC route is safer in terms of building buyer confidence.

Perhaps the CGC route is safer in terms of building buyer confidence.

You lost me there - people either agree or don't agree with CGC. I think it's a no-brainer for semi-consistency, but not sure buyers will equate CGC's consistency with confidence in you as a seller????confused.gif

Anyone can selll a CGC book...., fewer can package a CGC book for safe transit through the various shipping services..., fewer still can both grade and ship in the raw environment. I don't equate ability to sell a CGC book with the seller's ability to deliver the goods on a non-CGC item...,

My point was that you're dealing with price points, A good rule of thumb is not to slab anything that doesn't already guide for $150 to $200 or more. Otherwise the time and expense of slabbing cuts significantly into your return. If you've got some truly nice books and key issues, then go through them carefully and pick out 4 or 5 of what you think are your nicest books, and send them in. You will be surprised at the grades you get . . . guaranteed. sumo.gif

devil.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gifangel.gif

Perhaps the CGC route is safer in terms of building buyer confidence.

You lost me there - people either agree or don't agree with CGC. I think it's a no-brainer for semi-consistency, but not sure buyers will equate CGC's consistency with confidence in you as a seller????confused.gif

Anyone can selll a CGC book...., fewer can package a CGC book for safe transit through the various shipping services..., fewer still can both grade and ship in the raw environment. I don't equate ability to sell a CGC book with the seller's ability to deliver the goods on a non-CGC item...,

I simply meant that buyers are more likely to trust CGC grades than my grade for a book. I take your point about safe transit. I have just received another damaged CGC book through the post. It was not adequately protected so now I have to send it in for a new holder. Very annoying.

My point was that you're dealing with price points, A good rule of thumb is not to slab anything that doesn't already guide for $150 to $200 or more. Otherwise the time and expense of slabbing cuts significantly into your return. If you've got some truly nice books and key issues, then go through them carefully and pick out 4 or 5 of what you think are your nicest books, and send them in. You will be surprised at the grades you get . . . guaranteed. sumo.gif

devil.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gifangel.gif

I do agree that grading nice books that guide at $150 or more is a sensible strategy but that pretty much excludes all non-key DC from the mid sixties on. I have already had books graded just for me, that is, without a view to selling and I was not especially surprised at the grades given. Books that I bought from Metropolis at grades 36 to 38 on their old style system all attained between 9.2 and 9.6. A lot of the inital group I mentioned are Northland so it would be interesting to see if the CGC and certificate grades agree. The hardest part will be parting with my collection so I'm going to take it fairly slow.

if you've got a bunch of Northland peds you're looking to move without the hassle of eBay or CGC, you might want to PM forum member Flaming_Telepath, who has a notice of wanting Northland books in his sig line since i've been here

I was not especially surprised at the grades given. Books that I bought from Metropolis at grades 36 to 38 on their old style system all attained between 9.2 and 9.6

Actually . . . I find that QUITE surprising 27_laughing.gif

893crossfingers-thumb.gif I share your pain, as I watch my collection of OO books dwindle . . . hi.gif

if you've got a bunch of Northland peds you're looking to move without the hassle of eBay or CGC, you might want to PM forum member Flaming_Telepath, who has a notice of wanting Northland books in his sig line since i've been here

I bought all my Northlands direct from Marilyn and Arthur back in the days when it was so much easier to find high grade together at a fair price...

NorthlandCertificates.jpg