• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HULK MOVIE IS A+

171 posts in this topic

And I suppose the 5 Batman movies were better right?

Batman and Batman Returns - definitely tongue.gif

DAM

Are you for real? Batman Returns was a waste of 2 hours,I saw the Hulk twice already and loved it more the second time around,Only thing good about the Batman movies is that the batmobile was cool.

DAM

I've yet to see a decent Batman movie, the only good Batman in the last decade is the animated series,and the way Warner is handling their DC characters it may be a while longer. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

DAM

I've yet to see a decent Batman movie, the only good Batman in the last decade is the animated series,and the way Warner is handling their DC characters it may be a while longer. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yea, the Batman :Mask Of The Phantasm was better than all 4 of the Batman movies combined..lol. Kinda sad when Animation is better than real people

DAM

Are you for real? Batman Returns was a waste of 2 hours,I saw the Hulk twice already and loved it more the second time around,Only thing good about the Batman movies is that the batmobile was cool.

Okay let's look at this: the Hulk movie starts with some science stuff and then proceeds to drag on for an hour about Dr. Banner and the stuff he does with his son . . . all of this could have been condensed into about 15 minutes. Then we have Bruce F??? and Betty Ross chilling in the lab talking about their experiment with the frogs and Gamma rays. Bruce gets gamma radiated saving his buddy and a little later down the road turns into the Hulk when he thinks of what a bad man his daddy was. confused.gif Then the Hulk goes and bashes the competing scientist to a bloody pulp, then he goes and beats the snot out of the gamma radiated dogs, then he goes and gets caught by Betty's daddy's soldiers and is put about 2 miles underneath the ground but thankfully he escapes and causes mayhem upon mayhem to the puny soldiers. All the while, his daddy eradiates himself with the gamma rays to become the absorbing man. Of course at the end the horribly mistreated Hulk has to take a shot at his absorbing man daddy . . . well, I didn't think anything was all that spectacular, stunning, novel or original. The CGI was well done, but that is no credit to the plot.

what was really all that exceptional?

The thing just dragged and really didn't have a clearly definited plot, an antagonist (maybe the father?) or conclusion. The movie started nowhere, went nowhere, and had nothing to say. I'm glad I saw it, as believe it or not I am a huge Hulk fan and can boast a full run of 163-474 complete, but this movie didn't make me want to go out and finish the run.

Just to show that I am not quite a DC fanatic, let's look at Spider-Man. Just for one thing - take a look at the ending: at the end of Spider-Man as Peter kisses MJ, she has a faint look of recognition (serving the purpose of allowing the aware movie goer to think of the rain kiss in the dark alley with Spidey and think about a possible sequel). Here we have the Hulk who tells some hombre that when he gets angry you wouldn't like him . . . okay . . .

Hulk was overhyped - period.

DAM

Yea, the Batman :Mask Of The Phantasm was better than all 4 of the Batman movies combined..lol. Kinda sad when Animation is better than real people

Say what?!?!?! Batman 1989 was pretty damn good! grin.gif

Okay - here's another reason why Batman was bigger and badder than the Hulk - take a look at the cast!!

Michael Keaton, Kim Bassinger, Dilly Dee Williams and some guy named Jack Nicholas who is the only actor to have won three academy awards?

Who played the Hulk? Betty? The biggest stars in the entire movie were Stan and Lou as the security guards tongue.gif

DAM

DAM

Okay let's look at this: the Hulk movie starts with some science stuff and then proceeds to drag on for an hour about Dr. Banner and the stuff he does with his son . . . all of this could have been condensed into about 15 minutes. Then we have Bruce F??? and Betty Ross chilling in the lab talking about their experiment with the frogs and Gamma rays. Bruce gets gamma radiated saving his buddy and a little later down the road turns into the Hulk when he thinks of what a bad man his daddy was. confused.gif Then the Hulk goes and bashes the competing scientist to a bloody pulp, then he goes and beats the snot out of the gamma radiated dogs, then he goes and gets caught by Betty's daddy's soldiers and is put about 2 miles underneath the ground but thankfully he escapes and causes mayhem upon mayhem to the puny soldiers. All the while, his daddy eradiates himself with the gamma rays to become the absorbing man. Of course at the end the horribly mistreated Hulk has to take a shot at his absorbing man daddy . . . well, I didn't think anything was all that spectacular, stunning, novel or original. The CGI was well done, but that is no credit to the plot.

what was really all that exceptional?

The thing just dragged and really didn't have a clearly definited plot, an antagonist (maybe the father?) or conclusion. The movie started nowhere, went nowhere, and had nothing to say. I'm glad I saw it, as believe it or not I am a huge Hulk fan and can boast a full run of 163-474 complete, but this movie didn't make me want to go out and finish the run.

Just to show that I am not quite a DC fanatic, let's look at Spider-Man. Just for one thing - take a look at the ending: at the end of Spider-Man as Peter kisses MJ, she has a faint look of recognition (serving the purpose of allowing the aware movie goer to think of the rain kiss in the dark alley with Spidey and think about a possible sequel). Here we have the Hulk who tells some hombre that when he gets angry you wouldn't like him . . . okay . . .

Hulk was overhyped - period.

DAM

Spider-Man sucked next to Hulk. Hulk crush puny Spider-Man. I'm failing to see what's wrong with having a character-driven movie about a man and his monster? Maybe it would have been better if he had been out fighting Thor?

confused.gif

But if you NEED a movie to lead into a sequel, then I think we're of two different schools of thought in regards to movie appreciation.

Spider-Man sucked next to Hulk. Hulk crush puny Spider-Man. I'm failing to see what's wrong with having a character-driven movie about a man and his monster? Maybe it would have been better if he had been out fighting Thor?

confused.gif

But if you NEED a movie to lead into a sequel, then I think we're of two different schools of thought in regards to movie appreciation.

There's nothing wrong with having a character-driven movie about a man and his monster - perfect example would be the Shining, no? But this movie was a far cry from that - it never really delt with the monster aspect except for the whiny little Bruce crying to himself about what a loser his dad was . . .

I definitely don't NEED a movie to lead into a sequel - I was just illustrating that while Spider-Mand did it tastefully, Hulk was blatant and cheesy about it.

DAM

Say what?!?!?! Batman 1989 was pretty damn good! grin.gif

Okay - here's another reason why Batman was bigger and badder than the Hulk - take a look at the cast!!

Michael Keaton, Kim Bassinger, Dilly Dee Williams and some guy named Jack Nicholas who is the only actor to have won three academy awards?

Who played the Hulk? Betty? The biggest stars in the entire movie were Stan and Lou as the security guards tongue.gif

DAM

Oh and Jennifer Connelly is a no name? (she won an Oscar for Best supporting actress in A Beautiful Mind) And Ang Lee is a no name director? I guess Sam Elliot is a nobody too? right?

They Never got Batman right! They just kept getting worse and worse,Jack Nicholas was a good villian,but he wasn't The Joker.I love Batman too but come on,Batman sucked wind compared to the Hulk, I guess the line of "I'M BATMAN! is amazing right? He'll sounds better in the Animated Series than it did in the Movie,Batman couldn't even turn his head in the suit,he had to turn his whole body.At least the Hulk looked like he should in the Comics,Batman looked nothing like he did in the 89 Batman Movie! Again..the Batmobile was the star!..Should have called it "Batmobile: The Dark Knight Rides Again"

There's nothing wrong with having a character-driven movie about a man and his monster - perfect example would be the Shining, no? But this movie was a far cry from that - it never really delt with the monster aspect except for the whiny little Bruce crying to himself about what a loser his dad was . . .

He wasn't crying because his Dad is a loser,he was crying because he never got to know his mother and because he was more of a science experiment than a son...guess you didn't understand it.

I think that we have to admit that for the time period, this cast vs batman really is a bunch of second strings . . . . not to say that Hulk didn't have a good cast but we're talking about the major leagues vs. the minors . . .

They Never got Batman right! They just kept getting worse and worse,Jack Nicholas was a good villian,but he wasn't The Joker.I love Batman too but come on,Batman sucked wind compared to the Hulk, I guess the line of "I'M BATMAN! is amazing right? He'll sounds better in the Animated Series than it did in the Movie,Batman couldn't even turn his head in the suit,he had to turn his whole body.At least the Hulk looked like he should in the Comics,Batman looked nothing like he did in the 89 Batman Movie! Again..the Batmobile was the star!..Should have called it "Batmobile: The Dark Knight Rides Again"

I'll give you this much - Hulk did look like he was suppossed to grin.gif But batman was an improvement grin.gif

DAM

I think that we have to admit that for the time period, this cast vs batman really is a bunch of second strings . . . . not to say that Hulk didn't have a good cast but we're talking about the major leagues vs. the minors . . .

I'll give you this much - Hulk did look like he was suppossed to grin.gif But batman was an improvement grin.gif

DAM

Do we really need to run off a list of films with Big Name casts that have sucked? I don't understand why this is one of the criteria for making a good movie? It's not like it was some straight-to-video, shoestring budget, made-by-no-names Artisan disaster or something...

DAM

They just kept getting worse and worse,Jack Nicholas was a good villian,but he wasn't The Joker.

What do you guys expect when they hire a professional golfer to play the Joker? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

MK - I totally respect your opinion and I know that you like the movie, but can you give me some tangibles as to why you liked it? I layed my cards on the table and gave some solid reasons as to why I don't think that Hulk was all that . . .

DAM

Saw the movie today as well...I thought many things were done well: the casting, acting, directing and editing, for starters. The CGI Hulk was not as bad as some reviews have made it out to be (but neither was it the jaw-dropping, awe-inspiring version the fanboys have made it out to be).

I thought the film did drag along during some lengthy stretches...that was not a big factor for me, but I think some reviewers nailed it on the head when they said a lot of the younger folks expecting/wanting to see "Hulk Smash!" for 2+ hours probably walked away disappointed. Unfortunately, that's the audience we're hoping to convert into future comic book readers and I doubt the movie will have accomplished that aim. It was more like, "the accomplished, artistic director Ang Lee revamps the Hulk for a mature and thoughtful audience". In other words, I thought it was a better drama than a "comic book movie".

As for the story, I thought it was generally pretty good, though we could have done without the killer French poodle and I would have been happier with the film had they just ended it when Betty calms the savage Hulk and he turns back into Banner in San Francisco. They should have been content to have it just General Ross, Glenn Talbott and Banner's non-super-powered dad vs. Bruce/The Hulk...but instead, they had to turn Bruce's dad into an incredibly lame super-villain (granted, the Hulk's "Rogue's Gallery" is pretty weak to begin with, no matter what the hypesters at Wizard say) just so they could have a totally gratuitous, unnecessary fight scene climax so the 13-year olds, who were probably half-asleep by this time, felt like they got their money's worth.

All in all, not a bad flick...I'd give it a respectable 3 out of 5 stars. Better than "Daredevil" but not even close to as good as "X2" or "Spider-Man". It was certainly not as good as the first "Batman" either, in my book.

Gene

Seems like alot of people were wondering..Where's the Hulk?? Ang Lee did a good job of not just throwing action scenes around just for eye candy,and it was great when they were shooting at him that he kept getting bigger,Look how long it took spider-man to get into costume? Took awhile,maybe longer than It took bruce banner to change into the Hulk..and yes the Batman movie DID suck! well maybe not suck,but compared to the Hulk it sucked "Hulk Smash Batman!

Eric Bana was more believable as Bruce Banner than Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne,The Hulk cast is an A list cast.Ang Lee is a much better Director than Tim Burton,Edward Sissorhands sucked,Ed Wood sucked,Batman/Batman Returns Totally sucked and Sleepy Hollow was ok...Oh yea and Planet of the Apes sucked too.

MK - I totally respect your opinion and I know that you like the movie, but can you give me some tangibles as to why you liked it? I layed my cards on the table and gave some solid reasons as to why I don't think that Hulk was all that . . .

DAM

Sure, I thought the cast was FANTASTIC... I'm a big fan of actually picking actors who are suited to the part rather than: "Hmmm. What's the biggest name we can shove into this role?" (See the Arnold/Carrey/Thurman Batman movie for reference.)

I loved the plot. I really enjoy movies that don't BASH you over the head with their "message" or are totally predictable from the first five minutes of the first reel... and as comic book readers, I think we have a distinct advantage over non-comic readers as far as quick recognition of retread plots and easily-foretold endings... anyone else feel that way? I mean, after you've read ten or fifteen thousand plot lines, it's pretty easy to tell where a story is going after the first couple minutes, no? ("Sixth Sense," for example, was COMPLETELY predictable and that made me a little sad because I was really hoping for an actual shock regarding Bruce's character.) Anyway, I couldn't tell where The Hulk was taking me. You knew Bruce was going to get away, but you didn't know what was going to happen on the way there.

There was no stupid humor. No ironic, winking, smirking humor. That drives me NUTS when movies (like Spider-Man) don't take themselves seriously and throw in all sorts of stupid in-jokes and self-effacing comedy. It was a serious movie, and it remained a serious movie throughout. Granted, when I saw Stan and Lou I cringed... but the cringing was kept to a minimum after that.

I'm glad they didn't make The Hulk a superhero movie. It was about a guy with a problem and a girl who loves this guy with a problem. I don't feel like any one character was the "centerpiece" of the film, and that's bloody brilliant when one is working within the comic book film genre.

I don't know, there's a lot more, but there's a beginning. wink.gif

I think the last bit is the most important. It was a new take on an old genre and that's exactly what we needed this summer to keep comic book movies alive... not another spandex-clad, completely altruistic do-gooder. The viewing public WILL start to turn on the concept eventually. This movie has stayed the execution. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Eric Bana was more believable as Bruce Banner than Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne,The Hulk cast is an A list cast.Ang Lee is a much better Director than Tim Burton,Edward Sissorhands sucked,Ed Wood sucked,Batman/Batman Returns Totally sucked and Sleepy Hollow was ok...Oh yea and Planet of the Apes sucked too.

Yo. Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is one of the most disturbing, hilarious films ever made. Give him that!