• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My big proposal to DC Comics

54 posts in this topic

yea i don't think it would hurt the back issue market at all. if anything it would help.

it is similar to radio and baseball in the early days. why would anyone go to a baseball game if they can just listen to it on the radio. of course the exact oppitite thing happend. by listining to the games on the radio and hearing how cool they we're, fan attendance went through the roof. same possible senerio here.

Don't let one rejection letter stop you. Wait until you have a couple of walls papered with them. thumbsup2.gif

From someone who has sold fiction professionally, I offer this advice: Rejections should be filed away without a second glance. Acceptances should be celebrated.

Had this been accepted and put into place, would I have been able to see DC's Tarzan comics? I heard somewhere that DC didn't have the rights to them so many years after they printed them in the 1970's.

Fortunately I have most of them, but was wondering about the copyrights which I believe are Edgar Rice Burroughs.

Had this been accepted and put into place, would I have been able to see DC's Tarzan comics? I heard somewhere that DC didn't have the rights to them so many years after they printed them in the 1970's.

Fortunately I have most of them, but was wondering about the copyrights which I believe are Edgar Rice Burroughs.

havent they recently been collected in DC Archive format?

The proposal stated it would be the entire comic, cover to cover, including ads. Of course, I won't be scanning anything into the site because the site won't exist. DC didn't go for the idea.

At least not with me.

Hmmm.. Now who would have a copy of EVERY SINGLE DC comic available for scanning? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hmmm.. Now who would have a copy of EVERY SINGLE DC comic available for scanning? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can think of 2 people...

Speaking of which, anyone hear anything from Ian lately?

Of course, DC Comics would probably have an amazing (almost) complete collection as well stored in their vault.

Of course, DC Comics would probably have an amazing (almost) complete collection as well stored in their vault.

Very well done...I almost had my credit card out!

I have always wondered about DC's fabled library and what they really have. The collector me invisions a dark room deep in the basement under lock and key that has rows and ros of bookshelves with a greay musty paper odor and a little old lady that asks what you want to see when you come in.

The realistic me cringes at the thought of cut up copies of old comics that have been torn apart years ago for copying and reprinting purposes.

Oh well

Howard

First off, I want to compliment you on a very impressive presentation! Superbly executed, from start to finish.

A couple of points I want to make which you may have already heard at some point, but I thought it couldn't hurt to bring them up in case you haven't.

There are two ways I look at DC's stance on the matter. They are either well on their way to doing something very similar, or they are suffering from a level of apprehension similar to the one that file sharing caused in the music industry. It is incidentally the same apprehension which now looms like a dark cloud over hollywood.

The music market was shattered almost overnight with two major advancements. The first being the mp3 compression format, and the second was the introduction of an affordable monthly symmetric high-speed digital subscriber line.

Hollywood stands to suffer a similar fate. There have been numerous suggestions (some I've been privy to through some contacts in the industry) put forward to look at delivering new movies in a number of alternative formats other than just in a movie theatre. Some similar to the pay-per-movie formats you find in most hotels, and this notion that you could order the movies directly from your home.

But like the music industry, hollywood remains guarded on how it plans to carry forward its product into the digital age.

Behind the scenes, we have a vast cybersea filled with file-sharing systems which can allow people to download music and films almost instantly, the second they hit the stores and theatres, and be replayed on their mp3 or home dvd players.

Similarly in the comic industry, cbr files and other image types are finding their way online.

The big 2 either need to recognize that they stand to generate money by acting quickly on making their products digital-ready, or leave money on the table and suffer the same fate that has befallen music and film moguls.

As far as your comments regarding finding these comics on the same file-sharing networks, there are a number of advancements in the area of delivering audio, video and images on the web which completely protects the intellectual property owners.

I've been tinkering around with a few online media players - one which can be viewed at myspace is meant for music and runs from a non-secure xml dataset (which can be made secure rather easily), capable of streaming audio, as well as pulling other pertinent details, and which would essentially play the content without any concern that anyone could download the music directly on their pc.

I've built a similar player for video and slideshow purposes, so in other words there are technical steps that can be taken to ensure stuff doesn't get lifted, or come very close to making it impossible for even the savviest technical users to run away with the payload or lift the work in big chunks.

I second Red Hooks sentiments, and want to thank-you for sharing this polished concept with the boards. thumbsup2.gif

Very well done...I almost had my credit card out!

I have always wondered about DC's fabled library and what they really have. The collector me invisions a dark room deep in the basement under lock and key that has rows and ros of bookshelves with a greay musty paper odor and a little old lady that asks what you want to see when you come in.

The realistic me cringes at the thought of cut up copies of old comics that have been torn apart years ago for copying and reprinting purposes.

Oh well

having seen the Harvey comics library, I can confirm it is pretty close to the latter. I assume DC would b similar. Things were there for reference, not future collector value. Lots of bound volumes.