• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Another Scam email

5 posts in this topic

Yesterday I got the following:

Return-Path:

Received: from dEbELEA13 ([81.196.102.14])

Message-Id: <200306192310.h5JNAjYV004253@cedant5.abac.com>

Subject: eBay Account Verification

To: xxx

Content-Type: text/html;

Reply-To: aw-confirm@ebay.com

Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 02:11:00 +0300

X-Priority: 3

X-Library: Indy 8.0.25

Dear Ebay user,

As part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the

instance of fraud on our website , we are undertaking a period review of our member

accounts.

You are requested to visit our site by following the link given below

http://www.ebay.com/verification/%?6488820019

Please fill in the required information.

This is required for us to continue to offer you a safe and risk free environment to

run your auctions, and maintain the Ebay Experience.

Thank you

Accounts Managent

As outlined in our User Agreement, eBay will periodically send you information about

site changes and enhancements. Visit our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you

have any questions.

Copyright 2002 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.

eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc

Notwithstanding the fact that something like this would never come from eBay, the real indicator of the scam is that the email that I got this at HAS NEVER BEEN ASSOCIATED WITH AN EBAY ACCOUNT! It's the email I use to register at message boards (including this one). So, someone is getting emails from message boards and assuming that they are the ebay emails.

I didn't get one of these emails at my eBay user account email. Neither did my wife at her account. Anyone else get this scam email? Did anyone click on the link?

I've received a couple PayPal ones that stated the same verification thing and to provide my credit card info and bank info. The way to determine that this is a fraud (besides the fact that they would never email you in this manner) is to change your email to view in HTML this way you'll see the URL link for what it truely is. Without the HTML enabled it would seem that the link would take you to either Ebay or in my cases PayPal sites.

Tod