• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Any info on San Francisco

86 posts in this topic

We have to do a fancy dinner...not too many places in Boise so it would be nice to go to a nice place for a change(seafood, probably).

Might I suggest Fleur de Lys...

Wonderful wine list and very accommodating (my sister-in-law has a lot of food allergies and the kitchen got creative and accommodated her without a moment's notice/hesitation).

Fleur de Lys is extremely expensive, but it's one of the best restaurants around here. thumbsup2.gif

We have to do a fancy dinner...not too many places in Boise so it would be nice to go to a nice place for a change(seafood, probably).

Wonderful wine list and very accommodating (my sister-in-law has a lot of food allergies and the kitchen got creative and accommodated her without a moment's notice/hesitation).

I took my wife to Fleur de Lys, and actually wasn't too impressed. We prefer Gary Danko or The Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton. At either place, reservations are required and fill up quickly. Plan in advance! The night we went to the Dining Room, Sam Donaldson and his wife were in the bar and they were denied a table because the restaurant was full. 893whatthe.gif

If you want straight seafood, you can try Aqua; it's consistently one of the best restaurants in SF: 252 California St (Cross Street: Battery Street), San Francisco, CA 94111. (415) 956-9662

I took my wife to Fleur de Lys, and actually wasn't too impressed. We prefer Gary Danko or The Dining Room at the Ritz Carlton. At either place, reservations are required and fill up quickly. Plan in advance! The night we went to the Dining Room, Sam Donaldson and his wife were in the bar and they were denied a table because the restaurant was full. 893whatthe.gif

If you want straight seafood, you can try Aqua; it's consistently one of the best restaurants in SF: 252 California St (Cross Street: Battery Street), San Francisco, CA 94111. (415) 956-9662

And just to be clear, these really upscale restaurants in SF will run you around $150-175 per person (including tax, tip, and a cocktail) or more if you order wine. With a $100 bottle of wine, you're usually looking at around $500 for dinner for two if you order dessert. Don't believe what Zagat tells you about the dining cost at the high end restaurants. It is always way too low of an estimate.

I also want to say that I disagree vehemently with Jeff's assessment of Fleur de Lys. yay.gif

And just to be clear, these really upscale restaurants in SF will run you around $150-175 per person (including tax, tip, and a cocktail) or more if you order wine. With a $100 bottle of wine, you're usually looking at around $500 for dinner for two if you order dessert. Don't believe what Zagat tells you about the dining cost at the high end restaurants. It is always way too low of an estimate.

I also want to say that I disagree vehemently with Jeff's assessment of Fleur de Lys. yay.gif

My Vintner's wines are served at Fleur de Lys (or were served there... We haven't gone there yet and we don't usually order wine.) thumbsup2.gif

The French Laundry is amazingly hard to get into.. (unless you know the chef personally or have connections.... wink.gif ) Don't expect to just walk in and get a table. Some people reserve up to a year in advance.

Sanraku on Sutter Street was the best sushi I've ever had. Phenomenal.

cloud9.gif sushi cloud9.gif my fave is Kabuto

Sushi Ran in Sausalito and Ebisu in SF are where it is AT. sumo.gif

You obviously haven't been . . . poke2.gif

Haven't been where? Kabuto? Not yet, but I just put it on my list. yay.gif

If you are planning on renting a car, don't do it at the SF airport. Take a cab out of the airport and rent it anywhere else. And I mean ANYWHERE. I've only had to do it once (and I will never try it again), it took me 3 and half hours to get a car, and yes I had a reservation, booked weeks in advance. And it 'only' took 3.5 hours because I was willing to take any vehicle at any price just to get out of there. I ended up with some vehicle that wasnt even a sports car for $100 a day.

This was a few years ago, but I've heard similar horror stories from others. I've rented cars many times, and I've never experienced anything even close to that mess. frustrated.gif

What he said! yay.gifheadbang.gifyay.gif

Although I must admit that I was disappointed with a birthday lobster dinner I had there... but that was largely due to my realizing I didn't like lobster (tho' I love prawns and crawdads).

But my wife made it up to me later. devil.gif

The French Laundry is amazingly hard to get into.. (unless you know the chef personally or have connections.... wink.gif ) Don't expect to just walk in and get a table. Some people reserve up to a year in advance.

I guess we were lucky, since that was what we did.

Of course, this was over 10 years ago (before we had kids and when could blow $150 on lunch).

By the way, Dan, Sanraku has another location in the Sony Metreon right by the convention center for Wondercon.

I had to go up to Sutter Street to get Mrs. Donut and our friend at the yarn store, and Sanraku was just up the street from there. BTW, Mrs. Donut and I will be heading west again this year. See you March 1. yay.gif

By the way, Dan, Sanraku has another location in the Sony Metreon right by the convention center for Wondercon.

I had to go up to Sutter Street to get Mrs. Donut and our friend at the yarn store, and Sanraku was just up the street from there. BTW, Mrs. Donut and I will be heading west again this year. See you March 1. yay.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

If you are planning on renting a car, don't do it at the SF airport. Take a cab out of the airport and rent it anywhere else. And I mean ANYWHERE. I've only had to do it once (and I will never try it again), it took me 3 and half hours to get a car, and yes I had a reservation, booked weeks in advance. And it 'only' took 3.5 hours because I was willing to take any vehicle at any price just to get out of there. I ended up with some vehicle that wasnt even a sports car for $100 a day.

This was a few years ago, but I've heard similar horror stories from others. I've rented cars many times, and I've never experienced anything even close to that mess. frustrated.gif

it DOES take forever, but we didn't have quite the horror story as that.

the major 893censored-thumb.gif thing about getting a rental from SFO is that you have to take six different elevators, a tram line and walk a mile and a half just to get there.

oy vey.

do yourself a favour and tgo up to St. Helena - just about a half hour (?) north of Napa and try the Merryvale winery. you will NOT be disappointed

do yourself a favour and tgo up to St. Helena - just about a half hour (?) north of Napa and try the Merryvale winery. you will NOT be disappointed

acclaim.gif

Then when you're done at Merryvale, grab an ahi tuna burger at Taylor's Refresher across the street. After lunch, drive three more blocks north on Main Street, turn left on Madrona Avenue, then go three more blocks and turn right on Spring Mountain Road and drive up the hill about 20 minutes to Pride Mountain Vineyards and Barnett Vineyards for some amazing tasting experiences up on Spring Mountain! cloud9.gif

(Make an appointment at Pride and Barnett two weeks in advance though. poke2.gif)

Try "Greens" in the Fort Mason complex. It is classic SF... a zen budhist vegetarian restaurant (and no, we're not talking birkenstocks) in the Marina district (that is the absolute northernmost part of the SF Peninsula). You are right on the water looking out at the Golden Gate with, depending on the season, sea lions hanging out on the docks below you.

If you're a geek check out the Exploratorium just down the road a bit from Greens. It is a science museum that is VERY cool.