• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 1 on Heritage

14 posts in this topic

Thats a really nice looking Bat 1! Just out of curiosity, does anyone know the history behind that book? Some of the other big books from the kansas city collection that have sold through Heritage in the past have already gone through the crack/press/resub game. (Starting out life as one CGC grade and selling now as a higher one.)

Does anyone know who's selling the book or whether or not this book has always been an 8.5? If up until 6 months ago the book was a CGC 7.5, would that change anyone's opinions about what its worth?

Although I know some of the Kansas city books have been bumped, I don't know anything at all about the history of this particular comic. I hope the book has always been an 8.5, because it would be neat to see what an 8.5 Batman 1 would bring on the open market. (Especially with the huge disparity between what 7.5s/8.0s seems to sell for and what Clink seems to think a 9.0 is worth.)

My guess is $105k including premium.

So they make 40% COMISSION IN TOTAL ON AN AUCTION ITEM?

So a 100,000 sale will net them 40,000 in commissions? But the 40g comission is split between buyer and seller?

That is so sweet

hello all...

I believe in most cases, on a high ticket item, the seller will pay 10%, and the buyer will pay 19.5%...so, if the book realizes $100K, the seller nets about $70K....heck, I would give them $75K for the book, but alas, there must be some reason they choose to consign versus seeking out other avenues to sell at a better price (such as this board, etc)

rick

Due to the wonders of math, if an item hammers at $100K, Heritage's normal commission will be 32.7% ($19,500 on each side of the hammer price).

But I do not know of a consignor that would accept the 'normal' deal for such an item in auction, far more likely the consignor is paying a discounted 10% (at most) of the hammer price (which would put Heritage's total commission at around 25%).

Are they worth this fee? That is for each consignor to decide, but they certainly have access to the deep pockets that most consignors do not, and they will pay you in full after the auction even if they are accepting time payments on the item.

Back to the book itself - gorgeous copy with great eye appeal, should do very well for the owner. I am pretty sure that nothing has been done to this copy and because of the top right and bottom left corners, I'm not sure the grade could be pushed higher anyways.

Would love to know where my old Kansas City Flash #1 is now, I remember Dave Anderson laying it side-by-side to the Church copy and it was near impossible to tell them apart.

hello all...

looks to be a pretty nice copy (comparable to the OS 8.5?)...I would be suprised if it breaks $80K...making it a $100K net (that 20% BP kills me)...

rick

No bidder who has any basic understanding of math submits his max bid as the hammer price and then gets angry about having to pay 19.5% BP on top. gossip.gif

Any bidder who has mastered the principles of long division will determine his actual max price, and then divide by 1.195, and then submit that price as his max bid. That way, when the 19.5% BP is added on top, he ends up paying no more than his actual max price.