• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Missing staple?

16 posts in this topic

I'm away from home and don't have any guides with me. Saw a real nice Spidey 16 and need some advice.It would be a VF or better but it is missing lower staple. Staple holes are there so its not a printing defect. Spine is nice color is wonderful. How much does this lower grade/cost. Any ballpark figures? Its in a junk shop in an old Bob Bell bag.

A book that is missing a staple that has staple holes THROUGH the entire book that are visible at the centerfold WAS manufactured with a staple that occupied that position, having a staple at one point in time.

The staple was removed and not replaced. This is different than a book manufactured without a staple. In that case, there aren't staple holes penetrating the cover to the centerfold.

Staple holes are there so its not a printing defect. Spine is nice color is wonderful. How much does this lower grade/cost. Any ballpark figures?

If the book looks like it HAD a staple but it is now no longer there, you have to suspect that the book has been restored.

Unless you can get it for a very low price (like 10% of guide for apparent grade) then I would pass on it.

A 9.4 Northland X-Men #40 with missing staple was auctioned by Heritage. The sale was highlighted in CBG.

Jim

I think that's just ridiculous. How in the world is a book missing a staple considered near mint? Whether it's a printing defect or not. confused.gif

Thanks,you people may have helped me make a big mistake.

I had not even given a thought to it being restored. When I looked at today,in that light, it wasn't as nice as I first looked. Laid on top of a DD21,it was a little shorter and not quite as wide. And it had an acid free backing board,but a Robert Bell bag. Didn't smell right.

Plus, inside the showcase was a 1999 Overstreet but he was quoting prices from the 2002 guide. Blew most of the money i saved on Blackjack, but did get a free room and dinner. Bill 893applaud-thumb.gif

its actually more near minty than regular 2-stapled books cause they all have 2 extra little holes through them and the missing staple book does not so the spine is actually in better shape.

But the structure of the comic is compromised without the staple. It may make for a nice looking comic but to call it NM to include structure? No way anyone can make a valid case. Unless grading comics has become more about looks than structure.

Jim

I was actually being sarcastic there......but-- do you really think a comics needs two staples or its "defective", or qualified, or should lose a grade? The stapler missed or jammed...whatever. Is a comic book's 'official' contents listed as: 32 pages, glossy covers and 2 staples? Does Overstreet say that?

I was actually being sarcastic there......but-- do you really think a comics needs two staples or its "defective", or qualified, or should lose a grade? The stapler missed or jammed...whatever. Is a comic book's 'official' contents listed as: 32 pages, glossy covers and 2 staples? Does Overstreet say that?

No I don't believe Overstreet (or anyone for that matter) has said that a comic requires two staples or such. But.....if the comic is published with two staples and some are distributed without a staple due to error then that copy is "defective" because the manufacturing of the comic required two staples to maintain integrity.

For years, the dealers I dealt with considered a missing staple a defect and it affected the grade/price of the comic. Where has that changed?

Jim

I dont think I ever came across one. Doesnt bother me too much if a comic was produced w/o one staple...but I can understand how many others here would be wary of such copies., from discussions I have read.