• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Discrepency between Arch Angels and Metro..

19 posts in this topic

I know that Metropolis does a lot on consignment, but I find it odd that Metropolis is selling the same book that Arch Angels is selling... just not in the same grade... or graded...

Captain Marvel Adventures #18 is a CGC 7.0 on Arch Angels. On Metro's site it's a raw 8.0. It's an old label book so it can't be one that's been graded since consigned to Metro. It's possible that it's no longer on Arch Angels site. Makes you wonder though... It was a 7.0 and now Metro sells it at a higher grade. And maybe it's just me, but the staining at the bottom of the cover seems to have lightened up as well. Possible work done? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Seem odd to anyone else?

Arch Angels "copy"

Metro's "copy"

I know that Metropolis does a lot on consignment, but I find it odd that Metropolis is selling the same book that Arch Angels is selling... just not in the same grade... or graded...

Captain Marvel Adventures #18 is a CGC 7.0 on Arch Angels. On Metro's site it's a raw 8.0. It's an old label book so it can't be one that's been graded since consigned to Metro. It's possible that it's no longer on Arch Angels site. Makes you wonder though... It was a 7.0 and now Metro sells it at a higher grade. And maybe it's just me, but the staining at the bottom of the cover seems to have lightened up as well. Possible work done? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Seem odd to anyone else?

Arch Angels "copy"

Metro's "copy"

You should e-mail or call them and inquire.

I've had nothing but good dealings with Metropolis. I've only bought one book from them that I've subsequently sent for grading and it came back at the exact grade that they advertised. I agree, probably just a difference of opinion. Remember - all grading is subjective!

same copy all right. Metros whole scan is less yellow, other than that I dont see any cleaning was done. Just a grading disagreement between two old pros! : )

Seems like a lot of the Arch Angels slabbed GA books are books that were among the earliest graded, because I am seeing a lot of label notes (like tanning interior covers) that CGC doesn't use anymore. I wonder if this book was one of those early ones that CGC graded.

If there is to be talk of discrepancies then I would like to see talk about the discrepancies in CGC's grading. I could load up numerous scans of books with similar and even identical grades but wildly different in appearance. Polices and rules change constantly and often in favor of a pariticular collectionm, with the inconsistencies usually doing harm to the value of smaller collections and collectos, making their books more "affordable."

Perhaps a it would be useful to have a thread comparing pro-graded books that show inconsistences in grading procedures.

I've had nothing but good dealings with Metropolis. I've only bought one book from them that I've subsequently sent for grading and it came back at the exact grade that they advertised. I agree, probably just a difference of opinion. Remember - all grading is subjective!

Agreed. The reason I pointed this book out is because they are both still selling the same copy. Only one site has it graded by CGC and the other doesn't. I'm trying to find out which one is correct.

Btw... no repsonse as of yet.

I totally understand. It had to either be (1) offered on Metro; graded; then offered on AA or (2) offered on AA; de-slabbed; then offered on Metro. I feel like I'm in Bizarro World lolfrustrated.gif Definately let us know, that's an interesting one you've found.

The book on our site is owned by our company and is in our possession. Why it is on another site puzzles me. BTW, take a look at the site in terms of how we have graded the book. We did not grade the book a flat VF. If we graded the book an overall VF, then the price would have been about $300-$400 higher.

Stephen

I thought the stains were part of what took it down to a 8.0, not a qualifier at that level to make it worth less confused-smiley-013.gif

It is interesting that you have it in possession. I haven't received word back from Arch Angels site yet.

Does Rob still update his site regularly? I haven't heard from him in a couple of years.

Does Rob still update his site regularly? I haven't heard from him in a couple of years.

He had a Namora book a couple of months back that I wanted. When I e-mailed him about it he said that it had sold at a show over the weekend. Later that same day it was off the site so I know he at least removes things from time to time.