• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Late 60's Marvel opinions

17 posts in this topic

I found a comic shop that sells nice condition late 60's Marvel non-key books for really good prices, so I've started to collect those. I was wondering what the general opinion on the collectability on this period is among collectors. Next big thing? Waste of time?...

I was out of collecting comic books for a long time, and now I miss it and I'm back, but I'm not really interested in too many of the new titles or in spending hundreds stockpiling on recent back issues. X-Men have always been a favorite so I'm working on back issues of that, especially the 94-143 period. I don't have a fortune to spend, so late 60's Marvel (never liked any of the other companies) seems like a good area for me. Are there books from this period I should look out for or particulary avoid? Any advise would be appreciated.

generally, If you are buying lower grade copies just try to pay as little as possible, even if you have to buy copies in worse condition. Remember, you are collecting--not investing. Lower grade books from that period will not increase in price to any large degree, so dont fool yourself into thinking about any profits for your collection down the line. Just enjoy!

I just reread your post. You said "nice condition" and I assumed you did not mean high grade. Maybe I was wrong... but hardly anyone sell high grade for "decent prices" nowadays! So, If Im correct in my assumption that these are VF-s at best, again, try not to overpay according to guide. These may appreciate in value but not at the astronomical rate that true high grade copies will.

These appear to be near mint to me, but I'm no expert. There's just the slightest signs of wear, the sort of minor defects you find in a current book that's sitting on the shelf and handled by a couple of people. The reasonable prices suprised me because I'm used to going into comic stores and seeing 60's books in bad shape for NM prices.

I suggest you utilize the opinions on this forum to determine the grades of the books. Grading has become very strict recently! What we all thought of as "nice' books (as you describe them) have sadly of late become mid0grade copies in most eyes.

So buy a nice one, scan it and post it here. Scan front and back. You will get an honest appraisal of the condition and estimates as to its value. You dont even have to say how uch you paid beforehand...or ever.

good luck.

I suggest you utilize the opinions on this forum to determine the grades of the books. Grading has become very strict recently! What we all thought of as "nice' books (as you describe them) have sadly of late become mid0grade copies in most eyes.

So buy a nice one, scan it and post it here. Scan front and back. You will get an honest appraisal of the condition and estimates as to its value. You dont even have to say how uch you paid beforehand...or ever.

good luck.

Thanks! I compared to same issues CGC'd on ebay and I'd say mine have to be at least 9.0's, but I'll post some as soon as I have the chance.

I was curious about a similar question ... for fiscally- and time-challenged folks, would the high grade collectors on this board suggest it wiser in the long run to purchase VG copies instead of F or VF?

I just got back into collecting and plan on buying '60s Marvels, and not selling, with between $100 and $150 a month. It's for my own reading purposes, and as a hobby to share with my kids.

I'm thinking in terms of my kids selling my boxes comics decades from now if they wish to, and with that in mind I'm curious if the folks here would suggest buying books in VG condition, or purchasing fewer books in F or VF.

What do you think would most benefit my kids down the line?

I'm in the process of updating the new Guide prices into my collection database. I use the NM and the Good prices and it calculates the spread. (which are all over the map nowadays, from 1:3:6 to 1:3:33 !!!

anyway, here's the answer to your question. This year if the NM price went up $20, the G price went up 1 to 2 dollars, or not at all. If NM went up $2000, G went up $100 or so.

So even if current spreads stay the same (which they arent with the NM moving way up to compenasate for the CGC prices relaized) your Gs and Fs are creeping upwards at a rate that may not even cover the hit you will take selling in bulk someday.

If youre thinking about whats best for your kids, fewer BETTER quality books are better than more crappy condition reading copies any day.

Thanks so much for your reply, and to Harrison John allowing me to slip my question in. I asked because I read in a thread here that comic book shop owners say Fine copies move the slowest of all out of their shops. I was wondering if that affected what a dealer would one day pay.

It makes perfect sense to get fewer higher quality copies and I just sought affirmation that it was wide to get the highest quality book one can afford.

It makes perfect sense to get fewer higher quality copies and I just sought affirmation that it was wide to get the highest quality book one can afford.

thats for investment, if you want to try to leave your kids something of value.

Now to go the other way in answer to your question. speaking of how to invest quality time with your kids in something you can do together: Use that money and go to the comic store each week with them and buy and read current comics. Then get them into the habit of taking care of them (within reason, don't take the fun out of reading them by wearing gloves or such nonsense) and build a collection together.

And go to local conventions and buy up cheap back issues. They will be cheaper than NEW comics so you can get bags full. Depending on how young they are, having fun with dad in a hobby together might be a better way to go than putting aside a "college education fund" with comic books.

I wish my dad did that with me!!

Thanks again. My daughter is six and she's only interested because her 3-year-old brother is enamored by comics. The lad can sit and look at one comic for 20 minutes! He also has no interest in Richie Rich, Dennis the Menace, Archie or Disney. It's superhero or nothing with him ...

I was stunned to find back issues of "kids" comics at 50 cents to $1.50 while a new one cost $2 or more. It's strange. I'm getting some F, VF runs for myself while always getting a handful for him when I'm at the back-issue shop in town. I take him to the comic shop and he points out the figurines every time we're there.

You are correct, it is much fun and we both enjoy it. Glad I got back into it.

and any reading is great for kids that age. My oldest daughter loved to read and is now a great writer in college...She can really string together sentences that make you want to read on. And of my kids, she was an avid reader! I definitely see a connection.

That is a nice book. If he has more and they are cheap, you should buy as much as you can afford. Work out a lay away plan as I doubt he has many replacements. Post some here and flip them for a quick profit. I'd be interested in any 60s Captain Americas,Tales of Suspense or Avengers at the right price and ,I suspect, there might be one or two other people with a mild interest.