• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

best bronze age run

72 posts in this topic

Amazing Spider-man 119-162

Really? Can't say i have read much of that run but which issues make you say that besides the obvious ones (119-122, 129, 136-137, 149-151).

Yes this is a very fun time for Spidey. I would say 126-185 which incoporates all the Ross Andru run.

Matt, do yourself a favor and grab the Essentials. I love reading these stories back to back.

Some highlights for me were the Peter Parker cracking up just prior to return of Gwen (clone) in 140-143, the budding relationship between Peter and MJ through-out this run, return of some classic villians like Mysterio, Scorpion, Dr. Smythe, Kingpin, Sandman, and a few others. Some new characters like Tarantula and Will o the Wisp. I loved 161-162, which was my first exposure to the new X-men.

Very fun time without all the grit. cloud9.gif

I agree with Joe on this one. That is a fantastic time for Spidey beginning with a two-part battle against the Hulk, death of Gwen and & Goblin, Harry's drug and mental problems culminating with him becoming the Goblin, the budding romance with MJ... Killer stuff.

You can't go wrong with the Byrne/Claremont X-Men run from 108-143.

And a couple shorter runs that are on my personal favorites list are the Avengers/Defenders war in Avengers 115-118 & Defenders 8-11 and the mutation of the Beast storyline in Amazing Adventures 11-17.

I agree with Joe on this one. That is a fantastic time for Spidey beginning with a two-part battle against the Hulk, death of Gwen and & Goblin, Harry's drug and mental problems culminating with him becoming the Goblin, the budding romance with MJ... Killer stuff.

You can't go wrong with the Byrne/Claremont X-Men run from 108-143.

And a couple shorter runs that are on my personal favorites list are the Avengers/Defenders war in Avengers 115-118 & Defenders 8-11 and the mutation of the Beast storyline in Amazing Adventures 11-17.

Agreed thumbsup2.gif. Many of the issues listed in this run were fantastic all by themselves, when you put them all together cloud9.gif. Spidey against Luke Cage, The Hulk, Man-Wolf, Will-o-the-Wisp, Nightcrawler, Doc Ock, Hammerhead, etc.

Really? Can't say i have read much of that run but which issues make you say that besides the obvious ones (119-122, 129, 136-137, 149-151).

Yes this is a very fun time for Spidey. I would say 126-185 which incoporates all the Ross Andru run.

Matt, do yourself a favor and grab the Essentials. I love reading these stories back to back.

Some highlights for me were the Peter Parker cracking up just prior to return of Gwen (clone) in 140-143, the budding relationship between Peter and MJ through-out this run, return of some classic villians like Mysterio, Scorpion, Dr. Smythe, Kingpin, Sandman, and a few others. Some new characters like Tarantula and Will o the Wisp. I loved 161-162, which was my first exposure to the new X-men.

Very fun time without all the grit. cloud9.gif

Thanks R, i'll have to check those out thumbsup2.gif

I'm slowly finishing up my 160-current run so this will be the next big chunck to work on and by the sounds of things, i have some great books to look forward to. Are the Essentials in colour?

No question - Our Army at War #206 - #275. Any of them. Wonderful.

Probably my choice as well.

The Spiderman suggestions above would be a close second.

Followed up by any 30-50 ish run on Richie Rich. laugh.gif

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I also REALLY love Our Fighting Forces #131 - #161 (The Severin/Goodwin issues, followed by the Kirby issues.)

And I do have a soft spot for the David Michelinie/Gerry Talaoc Unknown Soldier stories in Star Spangled War, roughly SSWS #185 to #203.

Mad Magazine from the early to mid 1970s was pretty awesome too.

Shep

Black Panther appearances in Jungle Action. Some pretty violent stuff in those comics ... especially considering the time they came out. For some reason, of all the Bronze Age stuff I've read over the last few years those comics stand out and just kept me thinking "Wow" while I was reading it.

Black Panther appearances in Jungle Action. Some pretty violent stuff in those comics ... especially considering the time they came out. For some reason, of all the Bronze Age stuff I've read over the last few years those comics stand out and just kept me thinking "Wow" while I was reading it.

That is another run I really liked. I believe the CCA had relaxed its criteria just prior, making this run more enjoyable.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I also REALLY love Our Fighting Forces #131 - #161 (The Severin/Goodwin issues, followed by the Kirby issues.)

Love the Severin issues. A lot less love for the Kirby issues and I'm a big Kirby fan.

And I do have a soft spot for the David Michelinie/Gerry Talaoc Unknown Soldier stories in Star Spangled War, roughly SSWS #185 to #203.

Yeah, I liked those as well. Talaoc had a unique style that worked on those books.

Tomb of Dracula # 's 20-70

Ditto! Fantastic run!

interesting, i've never read tomb of dracula but i just figgured the early stuff was the good stuff.

Well it took a while to get started and I was allowed only up to 50 so I back-ended it...!!

NEVER READ TOD!!!???

Snap up the Essentials for it IMMEDIATELY (3 volumes) and you are in for a real treat. The Gene Colan/Tom Palmer artwork absolutely rocks in B & W.

Tomb of Dracula is without a doubt one of the best comics the Bronze Age(and arguably others) ever produced.

In fact, I have yet to meet any Bronze fan who doesn't like it.