• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action 1 in new heritage

26 posts in this topic

hello all..

the final hammer price on the previous 69K restored copy (and they are different copies, the former and the current one) was $57,750 if I remember correctly (then add the 19.5% BP, and you get to $69K)...

so I would expect bidding to end in the high $50's ,with a realized price to heritage in the high 60's or low 70's...which, again, is rough on the seller, as they will likely only get low $50K's for the book (a $55-60K hammer price, less 10% seller premium or so)....have to see where the bidding goes, maybe someone will get lucky

rick

Not as well known as Superman himself. But in years past the average person had to be told that superman first appeared in action 1. Now the average person is quite likely to know that already.

I think you are way off base if you assume the average person knows this information. Most people still have to be told this and are somewhat surprised. But yes, it does have a wide appeal outside of the comics world, and when non-collectors learn this information they always want to know more and are interested.

Also a small thing here, but no comic-movie has ever done north of a billion dollars at the world-wide boxoffice (only 3 movies ever have and one of them is the new pirates film). Spiderman came the closest at $821 million, but the new Superman Return movie for instance likely won't even cross $400 million for world-wide box office.

no comic-movie has ever done north of a billion dollars at the world-wide boxoffice

Quite true. I meant to refer to combo totals, which are well above. And while it may be a while before a comics movie tops a bill by itself, iwe will soon see a BO year in which comics movies together top a billion. We've had two years in a rwo with two blockbuster comics movies in the same season. And it's been six years in a row with a big comic movie in the summer.

As for not everybody knowing action 1 is the first superman, I'll concede that you can easily find people who don't know that (although I didn't think my statement would spark a "way off base" line, which I genreally reserve myself for more extreme examples. Point is that a LOT of people do know about Action 1 even if they're not comics collectors. Perhaps they have only seen the image and they know he appeared in 1938, etc, or they heard it once and sort of remember. That is way different from the old days, when hardly anybody knew about it.

And the overall points is still the same. We're looking at a comics collecting market in which people are regularly paying five, even six figures for books that nearly no one has heard of, and the average person does know that the first appearance ofr Superman is worth a lot of money -- even if they need to be told specifically what issue that appearance came in. Those people are surprised when they're told that a good condition copy of Action 1 is supposedly valued at less than 40 thousand dollars. And they'd be even more surprised if you told them that in the past six years of superhero movies and boom years in comics collecrting, that such a copy of the first appearance of superman has supposedly gone up only three or four percent a year in good condition. That would not make sense to them. And for good reason.