• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can someone with an HP scanner tell me what mistake I just made, please?

17 posts in this topic

...other than buying an Aquaman comic, obviously. blush.gif

Showcase_33.jpg

The model number is hp psc 2510, just in case anyone has the same one. Thanks in advance for any help!

If I ever had this problem with my old Canon scanner, I solved it so long ago that I've forgotten how to do it.

Aqualad is thinking, " 893censored-thumb.gif it, Aquaman, I told you we should have sided with the aliens in red leotards!" Aquaman: "When we get back to Earth, you are so grounded."

I assume that's from shrinking the size of the original scan.

Just scan the book at a reduced size to begin with.

Interesting. Whenever I've screened at a reduced size, it comes out horrible. I've had much better luck scanning at 100% and reducing in photoshop afterward.

Perhaps different scanner drivers handle this function differently.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Interesting - I tried:

75 dpi with no sharpening

75 dpi with medium sharpening (the recommended option)

75 dpi with medium sharpening descreened

None of which looked good. Then I tried 200 dpi and it was much better, but not quite there. At 300 dpi (the utility told me that I didn't need such a high resolution) it actually looked decent. Except it was 6.24MB. Resized it to 25%, and lo and behold:

Showcase_33v2.jpg

Yet my Canon scanner can do just fine at 75 dpi. This takes much longer! Not impressed with either Hewlett or Packard today...

Thanks for all your suggestions! thumbsup2.gif

Interesting - I tried:

75 dpi with no sharpening

75 dpi with medium sharpening (the recommended option)

75 dpi with medium sharpening descreened

None of which looked good. Then I tried 200 dpi and it was much better, but not quite there. At 300 dpi (the utility told me that I didn't need such a high resolution) it actually looked decent. Except it was 6.24MB. Resized it to 25%, and lo and behold:

Showcase_33v2.jpg

Yet my Canon scanner can do just fine at 75 dpi. This takes much longer! Not impressed with either Hewlett or Packard today...

Thanks for all your suggestions! thumbsup2.gif

He shoots... he scores! acclaim.gif

Yeah, there was a respectable copy lurking under all those artefacts!

The reason I scanned it was to start a thread about the most valuable books you've ever received that were unbagged and unboarded, yet somehow survived the journey to you. I think this beats my VG/F FF 48, similarly posted to me... frustrated.gifsign-rantpost.gif

Don't know if I can be bothered now... wink.gif

I use an HP and don't have the problems you're experiencing. I scan everything at 200dpi and resize after that. Scans come out bigger than yours and range around 150-200KB...

Jim

I ALWAYS scan at 200dpi and then resize in Photoshop to a nice viewing width (between 500-800 pixels in width).

I use an HP and don't have the problems you're experiencing. I scan everything at 200dpi and resize after that. Scans come out bigger than yours and range around 150-200KB...

Jim

I ALWAYS scan at 200dpi and then resize in Photoshop to a nice viewing width (between 500-800 pixels in width).

That's what I do as well.