• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #28 RESTO OR NOT

15 posts in this topic

I bought this book a while back and it looks great, the dealer had it graded as fine.

How can I tell there has not been any RESTO work

No bleed throughs, nice cover, off white to white pages

big scans 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

asm28asg1.jpg

asm28buh7.jpg

asm28iro3.jpg

thanks

WEBHEAD

A colour-touched ASM 28 was the very first Silver Age comic I bought - the ink from the felt tip pen had bled through and was immediately obvious when the cover was opened. Yours is probably not colour-touched, and also probably an above average copy of this particular issue! thumbsup2.gif

Sadly, I think there's a chance it might be colour-touched. frown.gif

Have a look at this area here towards the bottom of the spine...

asm28asg1.jpg

See the difference in blacks on the spine compared to the right of it? There seems to be a difference in shading, or at least to my eye there appears to be.

Doesn't have to be a felt-pen to colour-touch, but they are the simple ones to spot.

Oh, and if it is restored...someone did a sh!te-awful job of it!

asm28asg1.jpg

See the difference in blacks on the spine compared to the right of it? There seems to be a difference in shading, or at least to my eye there appears to be.

Doesn't have to be a felt-pen to colour-touch, but they are the simple ones to spot.

I see the subtle difference to which you refer, but I doubt it's color touch because it's not actually on the creases. Who would color touch the book and leave numerous creases untouched?

The slight color difference aling the spine may be due to scanner light reflecting, jpg compression, etc.

confused-smiley-013.gif

asm28asg1.jpg

I see the subtle difference to which you refer, but I doubt it's color touch because it's not actually on the creases. Who would color touch the book and leave numerous creases untouched?

The slight color difference aling the spine may be due to scanner light reflecting, jpg compression, etc.

confused-smiley-013.gif

Depends on what material was used. There's a possibility that it was touched some time ago, and it has worn off/flaked off.

I was thinking of image issues, but then discounted the theory due the fact that it's not uniform, and it is only apparent in this one area, and not the length of the spine. confused-smiley-013.gif

asm28asg1.jpg

confused-smiley-013.gif

I recently saw a book with a black cover that had been color-touched with (for lack of better words) a powdery graphite-like application. If you lightly rubbed the area in question, a bit of the "black" came off on your fingertip, and began to expose the offending color loss that was meant to be hidden. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Having no experience with such endeavors, I am merely speculating . . . but I know what I saw. grin.gif

Having no experience with such endeavors, I am merely speculating . . . but I know what I saw. grin.gif

I've written about this process previously. I bought a number of books from SAMCO on ebay that had this "dry rub" color touch. IMO, the dry rub could have been several things: dusted pencil graphite, powdered mascara or powdered paint pigment.

My theory is that it is applied by lightly rubbing the powdered substance over the creases. The powder sticks to the break in the paper's surface (the crease), but easily brushes off the glossy non-creased surface. So, using this method one can execute a razor thin color touch with no bleed through and the substance ONLY sticks to the crease. Yes, some dry rub color touch will come off on your finger if you rub it gently

I don't think this book is the dry rub color touch... it wouldn't be sticking to the non-creased area in the first place.