• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The First Grey Tone Cover in Comics?

18 posts in this topic

I don't know if this topic has come up before, but I'm asked that question almost every time I display this book, so let's have your learned opinion!

(Overstreet lists this as a classic sci-fi cover... and I agee... but no mention of grey tone)

September 1940

100_0998.jpg

STEVE Got Larson?

I don't know if this topic has come up before, but I'm asked that question almost every time I display this book, so let's have your learned opinion!

(Overstreet lists this as a classic sci-fi cover... and I agee... but no mention of grey tone)

September 1940

100_0998.jpg

STEVE Got Larson?

Thats is a heck of a book , Steve!! We seem to be aligned in our collecting tastes, although not so much in the conditions of our collections! 27_laughing.gif

Of course, you would know better than me, but from what I can tell, the much sought-after AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES vol.2/#5 looks to have the grey tone effect you are speaking of. I believe the art board that the artists, such as Bill Everett, used was called Duotone board, which is a chemically treated board which reveals shading effects when chemicals are applied to the board. Everett used this in the first Submariner story, and the second one I believe.

Leo Morey used it on the cover of AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES vol.2/#10 (oct. '39) as well.

Don't know if the AMF vol2/#5 is the first with that grey tone, but it is certainly earlier than the BEAUTIFUL Target Comics you posted!

Of course, you would know better than me, but from what I can tell, the much sought-after AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES vol.2/#5 looks to have the grey tone effect you are speaking of

I'm not so sure Ryan - you have that "artist's" eye.

(repost from Centaur Comics thread)

May 1939

100_0847.jpg

STEVE Got Larson?

It looks to me that , especially on the flesh colored areas, that the duotone effect was used.

The ADVENTURE that CM posted ( another beaut by the way!!) looks to be a conte crayon shading technique, which was common with pulp illustrations of the day, but Flessel seemed to use that method alot on his comic covers. It was essentially a type of crayon, that was applied to textured illustration board.

Both methods give a really nice painterly effect to otherwise flat art!

By the way Steve, when are you going to sell me that AMF vol.2/#5??

Oh, let's say when Paris Hilton comes over around 1am for a late night quickie (what's that... hey, someone is knocking at my door?!).

STEVE Got Larson?

By the way Steve, when are you going to sell me that AMF vol.2/#5??

Oh, let's say when Paris Hilton comes over around 1am for a late night quickie (what's that... hey, someone is knocking at my door?!).

Would you settle for a Nicole Richie look-a-like?

Would you settle for a Nicole Richie look-a-like?

Nope - anorexia ain't my thing!

Any other ealry grey tone out there?

STEVE Got Larosn?

Based on what I'm seeing here, all 3 qualify as having significant use of one of the techniques associated with greytones (this is in addition to their outstanding artistic qualities). The only other possible greytones that came to mind are Wow 1 & 2 but I believe those are both painted covers, right?

Leo Morey used it on the cover of AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES vol.2/#10 (oct. '39) as well.

I'm just not seeing it as much on that book (btw, I'm not disparaging that particular issue - indeed, AMF 2/10 is one of my very favorite covers from the Golden Age!).

100_1040.jpg

STEVE Got Larson?

The AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES 2/5 is notated on the METROPOLIS website (AMF 2/5 Church copy) as the first use of grey-tone on a cover. I find this kind of humorous! Which came first: the METRO notation or the thread?

The thread. When they changed the listing last week it re-triggered on my e-mail want list.

The AMAZING MYSTERY FUNNIES 2/5 is notated on the METROPOLIS website (AMF 2/5 Church copy) as the first use of grey-tone on a cover. I find this kind of humorous! Which came first: the METRO notation or the thread?

The thread. When they changed the listing last week it re-triggered on my e-mail want list.

Correct (those Metro guys just don't miss a beat, do they?).

For starting this thread, Stephen has promised me a 5% commission if the book sells...so Ryan, pony up the dough and buy the book for cryin' out loud (we know you want it!).

STEVE Got Larson?

Correct (those Metro guys just don't miss a beat, do they?).

For starting this thread, Stephen has promised me a 5% commission if the book sells...so Ryan, pony up the dough and buy the book for cryin' out loud (we know you want it!).

I'm going to start collecting for it today... I'm going door to door and asking for donations for the "Church". Its not really lying... much...