• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bronze Age keys #11-20??

65 posts in this topic

But why do you consider IF #15 a key? It is certainly not as important as #14. confused.gif

isn't if 15 considered 1st Byrne work on X-men? IF 14 is 1st sabretooth ...depends on who (sabre tooth or byrne fan) you talk to...

But why do you consider IF #15 a key? It is certainly not as important as #14. confused.gif

isn't if 15 considered 1st Byrne work on X-men? IF 14 is 1st sabretooth ...depends on who (sabre tooth or byrne fan) you talk to...

MTU 53- 1st Byrne X-men

IF 15 -2nd work

X-men 108 -3rd work and beginning of run smirk.gif

MTU 53- 1st Byrne X-men

IF 15 -2nd work

X-men 108 -3rd work and beginning of run smirk.gif

Thanks, nice correction...why is MTU only $28 in NM and IF 15 in same condition, $60

MTU is a cooler title in the middle and later issues. IF 15 is more pricey due to the fan base and the desire to complete the series cause it's small enough to do so easily.

Brian

I wouldn't agree that IF 15 is a bronze age key, MTU 53 is I guess.. IF 15 would probably be like... 30th on Bronze Age importance for Marvels.

Brian

I've always been a HUGE John Byrne fan.

As far as I'm concerned.....when it comes to Bronze Age "keys"....MTU # 53, IF #15 and X-MEN 108 are in my TOP 10. smirk.gif

Well that's fine, and you're welcome to it.. everyone will have a bias with books they like.. however, I think more universally most people would say IF 15 isn't much of a major book at all. It's notable due to the X-men app and Byrne's work but there's many many other books out there higher on the "food chain" smile.gif

Brian

I think more universally most people would say IF 15 isn't much of a major book at all.

Its not even a major key for Iron Fist collectors. grin.gif

Marvel Premiere #15 & #25, IF #1 & #14 all come above IF #15 in the pecking order.

Well that's fine, and you're welcome to it.. everyone will have a bias with books they like.. however, I think more universally most people would say IF 15 isn't much of a major book at all. It's notable due to the X-men app and Byrne's work but there's many many other books out there higher on the "food chain" smile.gif

Brian

Sorry....... smirk.gif

I think I was thinking about my FAVOURITE books makepoint.gif

As far as Bronze Age "KEYS" go.........I have no idea sorry.gif

I've always been a HUGE John Byrne fan.

So, did you pick up his DCs? Like that Wonder Woman vol 2? run...

I haven't read any DC Byrne since Man of Steel and Legends. I've been really slacking on my "JOHN BYRNE COLLECTION". When I was younger.....I wanted to own everything he did cloud9.gif.....

I think I'm going to stop focusing on "KEYS", and get caught up on my Byrne [!@#%^&^] grin.gif

First I'd move HoS #92 into the Top 10 replacing maybe X-Men 108.

Next 10?

Marvel Spotlight #2 - 1st Marvel Horror/Spawned several horror titles

Batman #232 - 1st Ras al Gul

Amazing Spider-Man #96 - Comic Code missing

Jimmy Olsen #134 - 1st Darkseid

All Star Western #10 - 1st Hex

New Gods #1 - Kirby returns to comics at the competition

Detective Comics #400 - 1st Man-Bat

Tomb of Dracula #1 - Greatest of Marvel's horror line

Daredevil #168 - The start of the redefinition of Daredevil

Marvel Team-Up #53 - 1st Byrne X-Men

I would have added but didn't:

ASM #136 - Current events have really killed how key this issue really is. Norman's alive now and Harry is dead.

Marvel Team-Up #1 - Just being a team-up title doesn't justify it for me. First Spidey title outside of ASM may make me push this up but hard to move any of these down to make room.

Marvel Spotlight #5 - Ghost Rider? Hasn't been seen in ages and this book didn't start the Marvel horror line so it's left out.

Marvel Premiere #15 - Shang-Chi was first and IF is another character suffering from lack of exposure.

Iron Fist #14 - Again Sabretooth's lack of exposure and events have superceded why this issue was hot in the first place.

Jim

"ASM #136 - Current events have really killed how key this issue really is. Norman's alive now and Harry is dead"

NOT in the movies...... smirk.gif

Maybe...but we haven't seen Harry take up the mantle....yet. 893naughty-thumb.gif

Jim

This is one of my personal gripes with BA collectors. This book is just plain overlooked, although it's starting to gain some respect in these forums. Is it rare? No. Is it hard to find in grade? No. But it is the 1st Byrne X-men and is about as key as you can get. Yet it is ignored by a large number of X-collectors. It's almost as if because it's in MTU (some definitely considered this a 2nd tier title, albeit wrongly) and it's a Spidey book with a large print run that it has simply not recieved the hype of other early X-keys. Frankly, I think this is a great book for another reason---it's the first Byrne MTU issue and his run on this book was fantastic. Truly great issues.

why is MTU only $28 in NM and IF 15 in same condition, $60

This is one of my personal gripes with BA collectors. This book is just plain overlooked, although it's starting to gain some respect in these forums. Is it rare? No. Is it hard to find in grade? No. But it is the 1st Byrne X-men and is about as key as you can get. Yet it is ignored by a large number of X-collectors. It's almost as if because it's in MTU (some definitely considered this a 2nd tier title, albeit wrongly) and it's a Spidey book with a large print run that it has simply not recieved the hype of other early X-keys. Frankly, I think this is a great book for another reason---it's the first Byrne MTU issue and his run on this book was fantastic. Truly great issues.

If Byrne really WAS that influential, one would be tempted to place the Charlton Doomsday +1 effort as being the real key.

1) Large departure in format and style for a lesser known publisher.

2) Groundbreaking departure of cover art.

3) Heavy collector-grade paper and covers.

4) First published Byrne work (?)

5) Kamandi prototype, and being ripped off by Jack Kirby is notable in itself.

6) Extremely low print run and almost non-existant distribution.

Not trying to beat a drum here, but if an obscure MTU is a key because of Byrne, then this one must be an Uberkey.

-Rival

There may be some confusion based on this thread in the Silver forum.

There is I believe a Kamandi prototype listed in Overstreet, but it was done in the 1950s, well before Byrne's time. If you're referring to the Doomsday + 1 books shown in the above thread, those are 1976 vintage, and Jack's Kamandi had been around for approximately 3 years at that point!

No way did Kirby "rip off" Byrne. Though I like Byrne, he's been lunching off Jack's creations for years (as I'm sure he'd be the first to admit)

- New X-Men (at least a step-child of the Stan & Jack X-Men)

- Fantastic Four (direct descendent of Stan & Jack)

- Omac

- New Gods and Jack Kirby's Fourth World

- Darkseid in Byrne's Legends miniseries & his Wonder Woman run

- Lots of 4th World stuff in his Superman/Action Comics run

...there are likely other examples as well.

Cheers,

Z.

If Byrne really WAS that influential, one would be tempted to place the Charlton Doomsday +1 effort as being the real key.

1) Large departure in format and style for a lesser known publisher.

2) Groundbreaking departure of cover art.

3) Heavy collector-grade paper and covers.

4) First published Byrne work (?)

5) Kamandi prototype, and being ripped off by Jack Kirby is notable in itself.

6) Extremely low print run and almost non-existant distribution.

Not trying to beat a drum here, but if an obscure MTU is a key because of Byrne, then this one must be an Uberkey.

-Rival