• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Na, na, na, na... na, na, na, na... waa-aa-aave goodbye... to Comic-Keys!

86 posts in this topic

There is such a large segment of the comic collecting population that has no idea these Boards exist that ComicKeys will probably keep on.

I think you are correct. In fact, I'd bet a lot of dealers in the hobby aren't keen on what's up with Comic-keys. I remember asking a fairly big dealer at a show about 4 years ago "who's this Comic-keys on ebay and are his auctions and books legit?" He had no idea. Although he was more a GA expert he seemed to know the entire comics market fairly well.

Some time shortly thereafter I joined these boards and got the scoop. I think in the last few years more dealers have participated in these boards which has helped a lot in raising awareness of the crooks.

Not trying to "out" anybody, Ray...But, if it's cool to say, who are you talking about? I know it wasn't any of the NY based dealers. They all are well aware of CK's activities and history. And most will openly discuss it with you.

PM sent.

I think it was more a function of this being 4 years ago, and this guy is/was a big time GA dealer, thought SA was so abundant that he treated anything that wasn't GA like a widget. He was however, quite up on usung ebay to sell.

But he was not the only dealer at that time who didn't know the scoop on CKs. As I said, I think these boards have done a lot to raise consciousness. 4 years ago I would say much more than half of the dealers at any show neither knew of these boards or sold on ebay. Among the bigger dealers, those numbers are smaller but still significant.

As for NY dealers, I bet you're right, as they tend to be ahead of the curve on knowing the dirt on anything. I remember in the 80's the NY dealers being among the first to know up-to-date prices/hot books from web transactions and thus buying/selling/dumping more in tune with the market at shows.

A lot of Board members, including me, have bought books from Danny. I think most of them, including me, bought those books before learning who/what Danny/ComicKeys is. I bought a 9.6/9.8 copy of Amazing Spider-Man 122 from him several years ago just before discovering the Boards. I thought the book was not as nice as the scan and asked for a refund with no success.

But, when I sent the book in and it was found to be restored, he refunded my money relatively quickly.

There is such a large segment of the comic collecting population that has no idea these Boards exist that ComicKeys will probably keep on. The number one thing that would prevent Danny from taking advantage of people's lack of knowledge would be Boarders systematically emailing every bidder on every one of his auctions with a link to OldGuys info. Like when we emailed all the people who bought Ewart's books.

They apparently haven't heard about Google yet either.

yeahok.gif

So every time you buy something on Ebay, you google the sellers user ID?

When I bought those Avengers 1's it was a different time. Hindsight is 20/20.

If I'm spending over $1,000 on a book I'm doing a little research first.

A lot of Board members, including me, have bought books from Danny. I think most of them, including me, bought those books before learning who/what Danny/ComicKeys is. I bought a 9.6/9.8 copy of Amazing Spider-Man 122 from him several years ago just before discovering the Boards. I thought the book was not as nice as the scan and asked for a refund with no success.

But, when I sent the book in and it was found to be restored, he refunded my money relatively quickly.

There is such a large segment of the comic collecting population that has no idea these Boards exist that ComicKeys will probably keep on. The number one thing that would prevent Danny from taking advantage of people's lack of knowledge would be Boarders systematically emailing every bidder on every one of his auctions with a link to OldGuys info. Like when we emailed all the people who bought Ewart's books.

They apparently haven't heard about Google yet either.

yeahok.gif

A lot of collectors have tunnel vision, and like women, are easily distracted by shiny things.

BTW, how about submitting your testimonial so I can include it on the website?

He already did. wink.gif

headbang.gif

As for NY dealers, I bet you're right, as they tend to be ahead of the curve on knowing the dirt on anything. I remember in the 80's the NY dealers being among the first to know up-to-date prices/hot books from web transactions and thus buying/selling/dumping more in tune with the market at shows.

...and also, the big reason NY dealers knew all about Danny is because Danny is/was one of them. A NY dealer.

He did repeat business with the other dealers back in the days. They all have a few Danny stories to tell. The rest of the country would have heard about Danny thru his weekly CBG ads. And, when he gained wide notoriety by being finally banned from advertising there after too many complaints.

How about every one of us that sells something on eBay include a link to the boards in our item description, and anyone that buys a comic put a signature in your e-mail that tells people about the boards. We will educate the masses whether they want to know or not! insane.gif

I like that idea. I will do it the next time I post some auctions on eBay and see what it generates.

How about every one of us that sells something on eBay include a link to the boards in our item description, and anyone that buys a comic put a signature in your e-mail that tells people about the boards. We will educate the masses whether they want to know or not! insane.gif

I like that idea. I will do it the next time I post some auctions on eBay and see what it generates.

We can form a group Or coalition of Sellers with a logo and all dat