• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Manitoba Comic Con

10 posts in this topic

Any locals going to be attending this show on November 4th & 5th, either as a dealer or customer?? It's in Winnipeg. I can't remember the last time a show was here. Don't have high expectations as many local dealers don't carry a 1/10th of what the people on these boards have but it hasn't happened in town for a long time so I'll be checking it out. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif you never know!! There might be something there.

Cool. I doubt I will be going, but I'm really excited to hear about this. Some things I would suggest to the organizers: 1) November isn't the ideal time of year to visit Winnipeg and 2) they need to invest in a name or two guest - especially if they want to sustain a weekend event - personally I would suggest someone from the Chicago area like Jill Thompson & Brian Azzarello (they are a couple), Adi Granov or Tony Daniel. They'll see a bigger upswing in attendance, but the investment in a guest should pay itself off if they raise admission to $5.

Still, would be great to see George Freeman again.

Cool. I doubt I will be going, but I'm really excited to hear about this. Some things I would suggest to the organizers: 1) November isn't the ideal time of year to visit Winnipeg and 2) they need to invest in a name or two guest - especially if they want to sustain a weekend event - personally I would suggest someone from the Chicago area like Jill Thompson & Brian Azzarello (they are a couple), Adi Granov or Tony Daniel. They'll see a bigger upswing in attendance, but the investment in a guest should pay itself off if they raise admission to $5.

Still, would be great to see George Freeman again.

I believe Adi Granov moved to Leeds, UK (unless he moved back to Chi-town)

I know his MySpace page says he's based in the UK, but he may be in LA now, since he's been working on the designs for the Iron Man movie.

Nevertheless, the point was that they should invest in a guest that will draw some people in. Digital Chameleon is local and they are nice to have, but people generally don't go to shows to meet colourists, and George Freeman hasn't been active in the last few years. If you are going to have guests, invest in at least one from out of town to bring fans in. Flights generally tend to be cheaper from the closest major city.

Looking at Air Canada - any of the other major Canadian cities may in fact be that city. $400-500 average return from Toronto, Calgary, Vancouver or Halifax, , $600 average return from Chicago.

Plenty of great creators to invite from any of those locations. For example, Steve McNiven or Darwyn Cooke (both are in Halifax) would be a great draw. Or perhaps Cary Nord (he's in Calgary).

Any locals going to be attending this show on November 4th & 5th, either as a dealer or customer??

I will be attending. I had been thinking about getting a table, but by the time I contacted them, they were filled up.

It's in Winnipeg. I can't remember the last time a show was here.

There are one-day shows 2-3 times a year. This one was a one-day last year.

Don't have high expectations as many local dealers don't carry a 1/10th of what the people on these boards have but it hasn't happened in town for a long time so I'll be checking it out. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif you never know!! There might be something there.

Sadly, it's probably good that you don't have high expectations. Not to say that all the dealers here suck and it isn't worth checking out... but especially for HG, I'm sure the boards are a much better source of older books.