• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Merry Marching MLJ Thread

311 posts in this topic

Thanks, Steve. Do you (or anyone else here) have a copy of Zip 22? In six years I don't think I've ever seen another copy for sale.

That's a great-looking Hangman 6. Those are very tough books as well. Even as short-lived as the Hangman title was, you'd need a great deal of patience to put the run together!

Thanks, Steve. Do you (or anyone else here) have a copy of Zip 22? In six years I don't think I've ever seen another copy for sale.

No, I've never owned a Zip 22. The only Zip I currently have is #18 (the first appearance of Wilbur and a great headlights cover...)

It's actually a scan of a color xerox I made before I sent the book to CGC. It came back an 8.0 and one was of the first books I ever sold on ebay. Unfortunately, you really can't see the "Larson" on the cover in the picture... frown.gif

I can see it very clearly....because I now own the book! (haha)

You really threw me for a loop for a moment because I just saw the Pep 7 in my safety deposit box on Saturday, and couldn't quite figure out how you were now posting a scan of it.

I may not know who is Jessica Simpson's boy toy of the week, or what planet that Dennis Rodman comes from, but I do know my books....and that Pep 7 is a GREAT item.

Finally, I have to ask you.... Got any more Larson?

STEVE

Zip 22 and Pep 20 are arguably the best MLJ anti- nazi propaganda covers. I think I use to own that Zip 22, missing centerfold, right.

Agreed - wish I owned a copy of each.

STEVE Got Larson?

Pretty cool. thumbsup2.gif I got it directly from Joe Tricarichi in 1985 or thereabouts. I sold it to a collector in CA who I guess passed it along.

I've only ever owned 3 Larsons (the Pep 7 and Exciting 2 and 8). It's a great pedigree and I wish it overlapped the Archie era. Although if there was a Larson Pep 22 I doubt I could afford it 27_laughing.gif

I'm slowly but surely collecing MLJ's again, along with my Favorite Timely covers. I now own:

MY MLJ COLLECTION: 52 books

3 Archie 2, 5, 13

5 Black Hood: 9,10,11,14,19

6 Blue Ribbon: 5,11,14,15,17,22

1 Jackpot: 7

19 Pep 3,4,11,19,21,24,25,29,30,31,35,41,44,46,50,53,59,61,62

2 Shield-Wizard #2, 6

5 Top-Notch 2,9,17,33,34, 47

14 Zip 6,7,8,11,13,15,27,29,30,34,37,40,42,45

Even as short-lived as the Hangman title was, you'd need a great deal of patience to put the run together!

I was lucky enough to finally complete a run a few years ago of Hangman and Black Hood (including Special Comics #1). headbang.gif Patience (and a little luck) were definitely required. Hangman issues don't seem to show up as often now as they did before (and they didn't show up much then either).

VERY impressive Shield and 143ksk....man, I really wish I had some of those Peps and Zips (especially the later issues...in the the 20's and 30's number range... which are very HTF).

And welcome to the colorful world of MLJ, GE...you won't regret it!

STEVE Got Larson? Got MLJ?)

Inspired by this MLJ thread and the collections of The_Black_Hand and Shield, I just made my first Golden Age MLJ puchases:

249443123_245b582650_b.jpg

and

256226753_059e04b529_b.jpg

Now you can count me in as an MLJ fan... thumbsup2.gif

GE

Beautifull ! Great choices too. Two key issues. Nice.