• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action #1 Sighting on EBAY...it's THAT copy!

43 posts in this topic

What I found most interesting about the cover image - other than the sheer obscenity of such a lovely book with such a ghastly blemish - is the thickness of the cover paper stock.

I've got maybe 400 golden age books, but don't know if any - especially those from the beginning of the golden age - have a tear like this. The paper looks like pressboard it's so thick and layered...

Man, what a rip off. This doesn't help my confidence with CGC any

Well are you saying CGC can't grade? are you saying your G+ is more accurate than CGC's? Call CGC and ask them to mail you an application so you can show them how to grade then. Ever think that maybe the chunk taken away from the cover is what kept it out of a VG-? kevin

Well are you saying CGC can't grade? are you saying your G+ is more accurate than CGC's? Call CGC and ask them to mail you an application so you can show them how to grade then. Ever think that maybe the chunk taken away from the cover is what kept it out of a VG-? kevin

Are you saying that's an accurate grade?

Are you saying that's an accurate grade?

He's not saying, he's just saying. insane.gif

I don't see anyone else stepping up to the plate

What does that mean? Is the book graded correctly at GD + 2.5 or not? It's a straight question, that you can answer yes or no.

I will answer for myself. I wouldn't ask you to do anything I wouldn't do myself.

No. I believe that book is overgraded by 1 or 1.5 points. At best I would give that book a FR/GD. Your turn.

What does that mean? Is the book graded correctly at GD + 2.5 or not? It's a straight question, that you can answer yes or no.

I guess you can't tell my answer by my replies,let me spell it out for you. YES!!!!!

I guess you can't tell my answer by my replies,let me spell it out for you. YES!!!!!

That's crazy.

So what we oughtta do is take a modern book and try to destroy it in precise imitation to that Action #1 and submit it for grading, just to see what happenes.

I'm not volunteering since I'm broke....I'm not saying, I'm just saying...

"Well are you saying CGC can't grade? are you saying your G+ is more accurate than CGC's? Call CGC and ask them to mail you an application so you can show them how to grade then. Ever think that maybe the chunk taken away from the cover is what kept it out of a VG-? kevin "

I'd be happy to step up to the plate on this one. I'm not saying CGC can't grade. But, I'd be glad to say that CGC makes mistakes OFTEN. This is one of the worst. If your judging CGC's G+ on this one, then YEA I'd say my G+ is much more accurate than CGC's. I'd say most major dealers can grade a better good than this one. Since I've bought from most all of them.

Gram KNOWS this was overgraded. He was selling this book for BELOW guide. I find it hard to believe that ANYONE would be crazy enough to say this is a G+. Do you honestly believe the grade on all your CGC books?

Do you honestly believe the grade on all your CGC books?

Yes i do,I have pre graded plently of books before I sent them in to be graded and have come back the grade I had given them,Sometimes I say 9.4,it comes back 9.2,But i can usually nail it.Bought an X-men 266 raw one time in a comic store,I bought it cause it was cheap and I thought it was a 9.6,my bro said " 9.6?? your on drugs!!" Came back 9.6 white . I have looked over all my books and totally agree with all the grades.

You really do? Even all your golden age books?

Kevin, I'd talk to some major dealers/ seasoned collectors and see what they are saying. Ask about resubmissions. Ask about Golden Age grading vs. Modern. See what they are saying. Why do you think they were selling this for under book. CGC is right more often than not, but you might want to read a little more about what some of the long time dealers are saying. You could start with David's remarks on page 59/60 of your Overstreet.

(I'd like to add that I DO think CGC is one of the best, if not BEST grader around.)

The Action 1 doesn't excatly have the best eye appeal in the world,but do you realize how much a book has to be trashed to get a 2.5? Action 1 trashed,I am a seasoned collector and can think for myself,Dave's opinion is not set in stone " well dave said ..." I'm a silver age guy,I only have 1 golden age book,I'll get it graded soon,It's about a VG- 3.5 You can hold me to it on my pre grading.But getting back to the action 1,alot of people buy books based on eye candy oops! i mean eye appeal. The right corner ripped off doesn't have very good eye appeal so who in thier right mind is going to shell out 25K for it? For 25K i'd want it at least complete even if it did look like S 893censored-thumb.gif T. I don't take any Silver age books below a 9.0,Im not saying I'm a label buyer,but I do want it to look nice if I'm shelling out a few K for a book,I have spent 1k, 2k,5k even 10k for a single book.I do agree with thier grades,and do look the book over,I can tell why it's not a 9.4 or a 9.2,it's not rocket science.It's absurd if people resubmit thousand dollar books,although Notch_Top seems to have the best resubmit record that i ever seen. 27_laughing.gif What if by some reason someone resubmits a ASM 2 in 9.6 to try and get a 9.8 cause it's undergraded in thier eyes,only to come back a 9.4? I can't see how people have the balls to take a gamble like that,even if it come back the same grade,that person is out submission fees,all out of greed

I agree,... Dave's opinion is not set in stone... nor is CGC's. However I think both are certainly something to pay attention to. I'd say CGC is right for me over 2/3 of the time. However I do have two resubs going back right now. One I think is off by at least a full point. I'm guessing a 8.0 will become around a 9.0. (Believe me, it happens)