• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the lowest grade you would buy for Silver age comics?

67 posts in this topic

Well, I guess my lowest grade is 0.5 Poor, unless I can find them worse. 27_laughing.gif

Actually, I try to buy nice VG to Fine DC war comics, but if I need it, I'll buy it in any shape. The early ones, as Big Fiver mentioned, aren't available in high grade.

I just picked up an Our Army at War #202 CGC'd 0.5 Poor, just to see what CGC's 0.5's look like.

Haven't got it yet, but I'm sure it sucks.

Andy

I prefer 6. or better. but the silver age i find myself drooling over 4.0s. was holding a cgc f f 4.0 at the last new york show and it was like i was holding gold....just could not pull off that buy at that time. it really depends what is in your pocket and what book your looking at.

6.5 for silver age keys and #1's. If the book presents well I might drop to 5.0. I have 1 silver age book that looks 6.5-7.0 from the FC but a huge stain on the BC drops it to the 5.0 it received.

"Is it correct to say that most collectors are looking for at least 8.0/8.5 or better on most silver age books (except the very expensive major keys)?

And that anything lower than 8.0, would be hard to sell for profit down the road."

No, it isn't correct. Far more Good to Fine copies of these books get sold than 8.0 or better. The collectors buying the lower grade copies simply tend to want a better "deal" versus OPG.

When it comes to selling for a profit, grade can be irrelevant. It all depends on what you paid for it. Fact is, there's probably more "profit" in some lower grade books because you can buy them in quantity, etc. cheaper, though there's more work involved in getting that profit out of them. (See, e.g., the Flying Donut model - pay $1-$2, sell for $10, repeat 500 times)

And when you get into Golden Age, I hate to say it, but some comics in less than "Good" will fetch a higher % of guide than their mid-grade counterparts simply because $10-$40 copies of these issues are more affordable to collectors on a budget than their $100-300 versions.

I'm happy with a solid fair on some books...I bought an incredible Beater B&B 28 from Nikos this year for under $100. Of course if I could get a better copy for the same price I'd be all over it.

9.4 through 1964, 9.6 for later. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But I have an unhealthy obsession with owning the best copy. tongue.gif

What's so unhealthy about that? confused-smiley-013.gif

My answer is the same - 9.4 through 64, 9.6 after that.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's unhealthy because he's spending more on the better copies

Not to mention, the wife woulden't like that.

And that also means he's picky. makepoint.gif

27_laughing.gif

9.2 thru roughly 65, 9.4 for later.

9.4 through 1964, 9.6 for later. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But I have an unhealthy obsession with owning the best copy. tongue.gif

Nice aspirations, but boy I hope you have a good paying job! tonofbricks.gif

Is it correct to say that most collectors are looking for at least 8.0/8.5 or better on most silver age books (except the very expensive major keys)?

And that anything lower than 8.0, would be hard to sell for profit down the road.

Like Mad Dog, I would like to have a complete run and am trying to decide what minimum grade I would be happy with. I also want to at least break even when and if I decide to sell down the road.

I think that would depend on what is more important to you. The grade or the title. For example, ASM or FF are very expensive in high grade while Avengers and DD are "relative" bargins. If your sole objective is to complete a high grade run (i.e 8.0 or higher), then your best bet is to go with the latter titles or something similar. But if you want one of the more popular titles then I'd settle for a lower grade (3.0-4.0) book with good eye appeal.

I collect high grade ASM. Guess im on a mission to nowhere frown.gif

I'm an ASM collector myself. You have to REALLY love the title inorder to collect it in high grade, otherwise it's very frustrating spending a small fortune on books that are so common. There's no "thrill of the hunt", just a painfully expensive hobby

I'm an ASM collector myself. You have to REALLY love the title inorder to collect it in high grade, otherwise it's very frustrating spending a small fortune on books that are so common. There's no "thrill of the hunt", just a painfully expensive hobby

Very well said, Andrew.