• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HISTORY CHANNEL SPECIAL ON COMICS TONIGHT 9PM!!!!!!

91 posts in this topic

The show was awesome. Its fascinating how politics and sub-cultures translate over into comics so flawlessly at times. God bless the U.S.A. for giving us comics.

Is it just me, or was the fact that peta wilson was host and the abundance of XLG commercials pure co-incidence? cool.gif

No, I think it was appropriate no CGC because it was more about the super heroes and comics relationship with society, not the aspects of the back issue market and trends... and it's scary that some of the same thing back in the 90s were being said almost word for word today when you hear about CGC comics and their potential.

This show made me realise just how much Green Lantern taught me about lifes toughest social issues...

I can say that without a doubt...GL & GA was a driving force at steering me away from drugs... 893whatthe.gif

Thanks Denny and Neal... 893applaud-thumb.gif

Not having seen it and probably will never have the opportunity to see it, I can understand why some GA guys would get upset that the bulk of the show was on Timely and DC but lets' face it guys, any comic publicity is good publicity. Bringing comics to the masses is surely something we should support and considering that the bulk of the masses could care less that there was a fawcett or a fiction etc etc is irrelevant. We want people to be enthralled not become intimate experts in 2 hours.

Let's face it, would anybody have cared about William Wallace if the movie had been a faithful recreation of history....probably not (by the way Robert the Bruce was the true hero).

I am jealous that you guys have had the chance to see................... 893frustrated.gif

Not having seen it and probably will never have the opportunity to see it, I

shroom...they sell these episodes on DVD once they are done with the TV airtime.. wink.gif

Show was very well done, without a doubt. There's so much to tell in the history of superheroes, I thought they did an exceptional job of condensing it to two hours.

The gripes about not mentioning the other companies really aren't justified. When it comes to superheroes, it really was DC then Marvel. Yeah, it would have been nice to talk about other books (I think Captain Marvel & Spawn were the only non Marvel & DC heroes mentioned), but in as far as the development of the genre is concerned there weren't too many others that played key roles.

If you missed it, watch the reruns!!

893applaud-thumb.gif

shroom...they sell these episodes on DVD once they are done with the TV airtime.. wink.gif

Except that particular DVD is not available for shipment outside the US and Canada... 893censored-thumb.gif

Shield..you are a gentleman and a scholar. Will PM you now. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Except that particular DVD is not available for shipment outside the US and Canada... 893censored-thumb.gif

Shield..you are a gentleman and a scholar. Will PM you now. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I guess...sometimes it's tough living in "the land down under"... crazy.gif

The gripes about not mentioning the other companies really aren't justified. When it comes to superheroes, it really was DC then Marvel. Yeah, it would have been nice to talk about other books (I think Captain Marvel & Spawn were the only non Marvel & DC heroes mentioned), but in as far as the development of the genre is concerned there weren't too many others that played key roles.

Hmm. No doubt Supe was a pioneer, and unlike anything else seen up to that point. So, you're saying MLJ and the Shield & Dusty had no bearing on the creation of Captain America? I couldn't disagree with you more. Again, this was an incredible show, but didn't accurately depict how things completely were back in the 1940's. Not saying this is bad, but there were other companies selling just as many books as DC & Marvel. I don't want anyone to think I hated the show or anything, quite the contrary, I just would've liked to have seen more from other major publishers other than DC & Marvel. I would've loved to have seen some Amazing Man covers or Smash Comics. Sure, past 1950 I would'nt expect anything but DC/Timely, but before?

They showed Cat-Man #1 and Bulletman #1, among other books from that period. Also a couple of other compan9ies books were blipped through. I'm very surprised they didn't mention the Turtles, not that I think about it.

Did you catch the nice 'dis Kevin Smith did against the Daredevil movie?

Webtv in conjunction with a VCR does just about everything a TiVo does,and rumor has it, that it can be used to defeat the filters cable companies use to stop unauthorized veiwing of certain channels. I have had it for well over a year now and as a tv enhancer it is great. Trying to use it on Ebay is another story.

The show was very interesting. I too was hoping for a Ditko sighting. All in all, a very informative peice, both for those in the loop and civilians.The way they animated bits of the books reminded me of those god-awful sixties cartoons that I loved so much.

Hmm. No doubt Supe was a pioneer, and unlike anything else seen up to that point. So, you're saying MLJ and the Shield & Dusty had no bearing on the creation of Captain America? I couldn't disagree with you more. Again, this was an incredible show, but didn't accurately depict how things completely were back in the 1940's. Not saying this is bad, but there were other companies selling just as many books as DC & Marvel. I don't want anyone to think I hated the show or anything, quite the contrary, I just would've liked to have seen more from other major publishers other than DC & Marvel. I would've loved to have seen some Amazing Man covers or Smash Comics. Sure, past 1950 I would'nt expect anything but DC/Timely, but before?

In my opinion, the focus on Timely (both on this show and in current collecting circles) is mainly due to its role as the predecessor to the later iconic Marvel Comics.

I tried to make it, but fell asleep. Will have to catch the re-runs and/or buy the DVD. Sounds like a great show, and I love the fact that they talked to so many of my favorite creators.

One thing I have to say though, is for those of you that haven't read "Watchmen", Tsk! Tsk! 893naughty-thumb.gif Get to your shop and buy the trade immediately. You won't be disapppointed.

Chris

IMOP a well done documentary, but the History Channel rarely fails to disappoint (those guys can make tube socks interesting!)

Also it made me realize that since Frank Miller sunk his teeth into Batman, the Dark Knight's relationship with Supes has never been the same again...

My favorite FM comment during the show ..."It was basically up to my generation to give Batman his balls back."

Having Michael Chabon featured was great to. His Kavalier and Clay novel was wonderful and highly recommended.

Agreed on Kavalier and Clay. I did the book on tape thing with that and it was a great way to pass time on one of my road trips. I thought the HS show rocked. I definately learned some things about the golden age and it was great to see and hear these guys. Also, while it was a 2 hour show... its probably 1.5 without commercials so they crammed all of comic history into 90 minutes.

Nesta

I

One thing I have to say though, is for those of you that haven't read "Watchmen", Tsk! Tsk! 893naughty-thumb.gif Get to your shop and buy the trade immediately. You won't be disapppointed.

Chris

Yeah,...I missed then whole Watchmen thing.......was out of the hobby at the time...I'm out today to pick up the trade .

J.D.