• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Special Edition Comics #1

44 posts in this topic

For some strange reason, Mad #1 decreased in value at the 9.2 price from 2005 to 2006.

Interesting (though it does seem like there are several high grade copies out there).

What was the amount of the drop? I haven't bought a guide the past couple of years, don't find them nearly as useful as they once were.

Did it decrease across the board, or only at the 9.2 level?

Special Edition 1 is definitely not the most in demand book, but I would think that a Golden age key issue like this one (even one that consistently brings in less than guide) should at least sell for a slight premium over 9.2 guide price when its a 9.4 pedigree.

For a premium to be paid over Guide, you have to assume that Guide actually reflects to some degree the fair market value of the book (or actually undervalues the book). If no premium is being paid, then to me that says the book is fully priced or over priced in the Guide. Which is clearly what the market seems to be saying.

The only time I can actually remember a key book being lowered was when Fantasy #15 and FF #1 each went down $100 (from $1200 to $1100) back in the early 80s.

For some strange reason, Mad #1 decreased in value at the 9.2 price from 2005 to 2006.

Just after I purchased my CGC 9.8 copy!!! frustrated.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

Perhaps it's time to be a bit more discriminating in your purchasing habits. gossip.gifpoke2.gif

Interesting (though it does seem like there are several high grade copies out there).

What was the amount of the drop? I haven't bought a guide the past couple of years, don't find them nearly as useful as they once were.

Just checked the two OS price guides for this book and it shows the following:

1) 2005: G=$462; F=$1,386; VF=$3,465; VF/NM=$5,083; and NM-=$6,700

2) 2006: G=$439; F=$1,317; VF=$3,402; VF/NM=$5,101; and NM-=$6,800

Actually, for those of you who have not been picking up the OS guides, this type of pricing revision is standard for OS whereby he increases the multiple between condition by increasing the top end a shade, followed by sometimes lowering the bottom end, but more often just freezing the price on the lower grades.

In this particular case, the Mad #1 has gone from a price differential of 1:14.5 up to 1:15.5 from bottom to top of guide between the two years. I assume this is his way to reflect the fact that collectors are paying a premium for high grade books, and yet are only willing to pay a discount to guide for the majority of non-high grade books.

Actually, for those of you who have not been picking up the OS guides, this type of pricing revision is standard for OS whereby he increases the multiple between condition by increasing the top end a shade, followed by sometimes lowering the bottom end, but more often just freezing the price on the lower grades.

In this particular case, the Mad #1 has gone from a price differential of 1:14.5 up to 1:15.5 from bottom to top of guide between the two years. I assume this is his way to reflect the fact that collectors are paying a premium for high grade books, and yet are only willing to pay a discount to guide for the majority of non-high grade books.

I think I meant 2004 to 2005. I am not at home so don't have the Guide with me so someone please check. I want to say it went from about $7,200 to $6,700. That is my recollection though I am getting older by the minute. confused-smiley-013.gif

I think I meant 2004 to 2005. I am not at home so don't have the Guide with me so someone please check. I want to say it went from about $7,200 to $6,700. That is my recollection though I am getting older by the minute. confused-smiley-013.gif

Mark;

You are indeed correct this time! thumbsup2.gif

The OS prices in the 2004 guide were as follows:

3) 2004: G=$500; F=$1,500; VF=$3,500; VF/NM=$5,250; and NM-=$7,000

Through all of these ups and downs, the one consistent feature is that the price spread between low grade and high grade just keeps on increasing, going from 1:13.5 in 2003, to 1:14 in to 2004, to 1:14.5 in 2005; and finally to 1:15.5. in 2006.

Interesting to note that the Good price in 2002 and 2003 were as high as $520. I guess not much of a return if you were holding onto low grade copies of this book.

So what we now know about the 9.8 copies of Mad #1 is that even though the Guide price went down, and even though more 9.8 copies have appeared in the Census since then, and even though there have been no further sales since Zaid bought one of Halperin's 9.8 copies, Halperin and Zaid both continue to raise the price of their respective 9.8 copies. tongue.gif

So what we now know about the 9.8 copies of Mad #1 is that even though the Guide price went down, and even though more 9.8 copies have appeared in the Census since then, and even though there have been no further sales since Zaid bought one of Halperin's 9.8 copies, Halperin and Zaid both continue to raise the price of their respective 9.8 copies. tongue.gif

Hey, my price hasn't changed!!! makepoint.gif893blahblah.gifpoke2.gif

I can't speak for Halperin (and I don't know who owns the 2 new copies that appeared). gossip.gif893whatthe.gif

This book always seems to sell well under guide in every grade.

Just curious, let's say (hypothetically speaking) the last 20 times a copy of this book sold it's selling price averaged 40% under guide. Would Overstreet ever take this real world market value into account for the 2007 guide?

This discussion raise questions of how Overstreet adjusts prices on books always selling over/under guide. confused-smiley-013.gif

For example, if books like Suspense #3 and Contact #12 always sell for say 2-3x guide, then how can Overstreet 2007 adjust its values without announcing to the market "OK guys...we're now reflecting real market pricing in this guide!" Otherwise, the market may use multiples of the new, even higher prices. Since I've been in this hobby, there have been pricing premiums for pedigreed, scarce and/or high-demand books...so one could argue that Overstreet can never, ever "catch-up" to market pricing for the most desirable books. The reverse is true for books constantly selling below guide.

Curious to hear other people's perspective...any thoughts? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

GE

This book always seems to sell well under guide in every grade.

Just curious, let's say (hypothetically speaking) the last 20 times a copy of this book sold it's selling price averaged 40% under guide. Would Overstreet ever take this real world market value into account for the 2007 guide?

This discussion raise questions of how Overstreet adjusts prices on books always selling over/under guide. confused-smiley-013.gif

For example, if books like Suspense #3 and Contact #12 always sell for say 2-3x guide, then how can Overstreet 2007 adjust its values without announcing to the market "OK guys...we're now reflecting real market pricing in this guide!" Otherwise, the market may use multiples of the new, even higher prices. Since I've been in this hobby, there have been pricing premiums for pedigreed, scarce and/or high-demand books...so one could argue that Overstreet can never, ever "catch-up" to market pricing for the most desirable books. The reverse is true for books constantly selling below guide.

Curious to hear other people's perspective...any thoughts? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

GE

Good points. Bob did make agressive changes to try and reflect the multiples Timelys started getting in the early 1990's, seems like no matter how much upward correction he makes, dealers still want multiples...

Now, All-Stars have needed to come down for a LONG time, and they seem to be stablizing or in some cases dropping slightly in the lower grades. Still lots of room for downward correction on those books, excluding the #3 of course...

smirk.gif

I have an 8.0 copy that I bought about 2-3 years ago. Don't think I have ever had even one inquiry about it. frown.gif

That's because you have it priced over guide.

poke2.gif

I would take less. gossip.gifmakepoint.gifpoke2.gif

Exactly how much less????poke2.gif

I have an 8.0 copy that I bought about 2-3 years ago. Don't think I have ever had even one inquiry about it. frown.gif

That's because you have it priced over guide.

poke2.gif

I would take less. gossip.gifmakepoint.gifpoke2.gif

Exactly how much less????poke2.gif

Trade you for your ashcan. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Uh, that's not less.

I happen to be one of the few people that would like a copy of Special Edition Comics #1, mostly because I love the cover, but given how many high grade copies exists and the seemingly ready supply of copies, it has always remained low on my list, very similar to New York World's Fair 1940. There just doesn't seem to be a reason to try and pick it up anytime soon as prices aren't moving. I would much rather grab a nice copy of All Star 3 or Batman 2 in high grade devil.gif

I happen to be one of the few people that would like a copy of Special Edition Comics #1, mostly because I love the cover, but given how many high grade copies exists and the seemingly ready supply of copies, it has always remained low on my list, very similar to New York World's Fair 1940. There just doesn't seem to be a reason to try and pick it up anytime soon as prices aren't moving. I would much rather grab a nice copy of All Star 3 or Batman 2 in high grade devil.gif

All-Star #3 all the way!! headbang.gif