• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2006 ashcans arrived today...

13 posts in this topic

I'm responsible for these "modern ashcans" and I am terribly sorry. makepoint.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

frustrated.gif

Back in the early 90's I was closely associated with the Image Comics founders and showed them my ashcan collection.

Rob Liefeld and Jim Valentino were fascinated by them and when they decided to publish promo editions or upcoming titles, they labeled them "ashcans" to garner more interest.

I still have a bunch of them. In fact I helped publish Alan Moore's 1963 promo editions. They're cool, but THEY'RE NOT ASHCANS!

Oh, well. Instead of shooting all the lawyers first - we should probably shoot all the marketing guys first.

And yes, Mark. I'm the marketing director for a video game company.... 27_laughing.gif

Where's my bindfold? 27_laughing.gif

I'm responsible for these "modern ashcans" and I am terribly sorry. makepoint.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

frustrated.gif

Back in the early 90's I was closely associated with the Image Comics founders and showed them my ashcan collection.

Rob Liefeld and Jim Valentino were fascinated by them and when they decided to publish promo editions or upcoming titles, they labeled them "ashcans" to garner more interest.

I still have a bunch of them. In fact I helped publish Alan Moore's 1963 promo editions. They're cool, but THEY'RE NOT ASHCANS!

Oh, well. Instead of shooting all the lawyers first - we should probably shoot all the marketing guys first.

And yes, Mark. I'm the marketing director for a video game company.... 27_laughing.gif

Where's my bindfold? 27_laughing.gif

Your punishment is to sell me all your ashcans. makepoint.gifpoke2.gif

So the Holloween ashcans were a big hit last night smile.gif All but 6 of the 100 books I ordered were snatched up by trick or treaters. One kid even wanted to pay me $1 for one. Lots were talking to their friends as they left "Cool! That guy gave us comic books" grin.gif

So the Holloween ashcans were a big hit last night smile.gif All but 6 of the 100 books I ordered were snatched up by trick or treaters. One kid even wanted to pay me $1 for one. Lots were talking to their friends as they left "Cool! That guy gave us comic books" grin.gif

double thumbs up for you.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Gary,

I still think about the ashcans you showed me at WW Chicago in 2005. They were so amazing - great pieces of comic history. It is absolutely remarkable that they exist at all, much less in high grade.

Wat exactly is an ashcan?

Well, these books are small (4x5 in. or so) versions of Marvel Adventures Avengers #1 and Gemstone's Donald Duck. There are no ads at all. I bought 25 of each for $9 through DCBS to give away at Holloween. thumbsup2.gif

Well, these books are small (4x5 in. or so) versions of Marvel Adventures Avengers #1 and Gemstone's Donald Duck. There are no ads at all. I bought 25 of each for $9 through DCBS to give away at Holloween.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!