• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just another way of passing the day...

11 posts in this topic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2180092088&category=12589

Some interesting patterns have been developing in the underground comics market. I'm not going to bore anyone with the details of my research, but suffice it to say that based on numbers posted in the recent 3-6 month period, the underground comic marketplace has quickly become a VERY HOT marketplace.

Anyone care to share any insight, or anything they have noticed to proove or disproove this opinion?

Either that or CA. dealer looking to relive the glory days of smoke & toke. Retro 70s are back.

May sell my UG next month.

There are a few developments in the underground comic market that could have something to do with early speculation. A few private sales and recent yields on eBay seem to indicate this upward trend. It's difficult to say for certain. This is by far one of the strangest patterns I've followed in the last 7 years of research.

Last month, I had 3 offers on a book which I had not ever imagined peaking in interest for at least another year or so, or until the long overdue publication of a price guide. The offers on this book were on the high-end, and had it not been my only copy, I would have easily sold it.

But what I find especially interesting is that there also seems to be an effort to obtain some of the rarer stuff, as I'm facing some stiff competition on books I never imagined. I guess we will have to see, but going back to your comment odin88, I don't believe in the example of the auction for the 135 undergrounds that the bidder was reaching for a feel for nostalgia. Some of the bidders on that history list are bidders I've never even heard of, and based on some numbers I've been compiling, that auction ended about US $875 on the rich side. No one would overpay on a list of undergrounds like that unless they were chasing the Plymell, and even then, there is not too much room for flipping as I think the value for a VG/F 5.0 (which is what I graded the book) would, at the top end, commands about US $2250. The auction ended at US $2275!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the Plymell is not worth the money. In fact, I have gone on the record that it is currently the most undervalued comic! Rather, what I'm saying is that no one is going to bust their butt on a lot like that (at least I wouldn't) to end up with a book that will likely not get its value for at least another 2-3 years unless they either are buying for sentimental purposes, are early speculators, or have some information on values that are close to being published. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Like I said, we will have to see. gossip.gif

BTW: odin88, are you referring to the test cover prints, or do you have other UG's to sell? If so, you have to hook me up with the goods! cool.gif

I skimmed the list of comix available in the auction you posted and saw nothing besides the Zap that was worth paying that much for! I'd like to see another Price Guide for Undergrounds. I contributed info for the Jay Kennedy guide but that was 20+ years ago. Undergrounds don't get any respect...but they will, someday. cool.gif

I'd like to see another Price Guide for Undergrounds.

I've talked with Dan Fogel (Overstreet advisor) of Hippycomix regarding an updated underground comix guide. It culminated from some mention about a guide in the works, which was made during a Heritage Comics auction when they were selling some of Don Schenkers file copies. Arnoldt (a gemstone senior editor, and a CGC forumite) confirmed that Hippycomix was working on it, and I contacted Dan about a month ago which was the first time we spoke.

Dan is optimistic that one will be ready by end of year. My involvement with this new guide may allow me to share a confirmed release as the date draws nearer. I'll keep you posted.

The nice thing about what I've been able to discern thus far is that Dan Fogel is a visionary, and understands some of the nuances of the digital age, and its impact on published work. Its still too early to discuss in any great detail, but I'm reasonably optimistic that an online version of the guide will be published shortly after the printed version is released.

I skimmed the list of comix available in the auction you posted and saw nothing besides the Zap that was worth paying that much for!

It sure looks that way, doesn't it?

I contributed info for the Jay Kennedy guide but that was 20+ years ago.

If you don't mind me asking, to what capacity? On a related note, I understand that Don Donahue is one of the major contributors of this new/upcoming underground comix guide. I'm glad to see this, as I believe his involvement was a necessary step to build on the credibility of this upcoming publication.

Until this guide comes out, is there any reliable reference sources for different UG printings out there besides the Jay Kennedy guide? I'd love to start buying some old UGs that I remember reading back in the 80s, but I want to know what I'm getting.

Hey seank

If you've got yourself a 1982 guide ( Title: New Wave and Underground Comix Price Guide; Author: Jay Kennedy ), then you have the basis for one of the best resources available. The guide is an indespensable resource for determining printing variations. The thing that is most astonishing about Jay's work is that he managed to collaborate with all the publishers of the time (Last Gasp, Apex Novelties, Kitchen Sink, etc.), compiling all records of print runs, and what is probably most important about his work, was the comparative research he undertook to distinguish between all the print runs. I attempted to do this about 10 years ago (with an available stock of about 20,000 undergrounds), and although it was the most tedious work I have ever performed, it was well worth it. I also managed to dicover numerous errors that were printed in the guide.

As a test of how significant Jay's work is, this new guide which is being published will contain data solely from Apex Novelties! The reason why is because Don Donahue is one of the major contributors. Hard to go back in time and get data from companies that are now defunct.

The rest is really your call. Personally, I didn't bother much with Jerry Weists Comic Art Price Guide which does include a fairly updated supplement (not comprehensive) on the more signficant undergrounds from the time, but the values are way off the scale.

You can also try the big Comic Buyers Guide (i don't recall the name right now). I got it for christmas and was quite surprised that they included a good chunk of underground comics. The values are totally absurd, but it does provide some information.

To conclude, the values don't seem to mean much unless you can determine printing variation. So my best suggestion is to pick up Jay's guide, and just monitor sales on ebay. This might be the best way to determine values to date.

I have found Underground Comix Info.com to be invaluable. They're a little radical politically (just answer what you think a hippie would want to hear on all the screening questions), but once you get to their "visual guide" it is just outstanding.

I don't remember what info I specifically supplied him but it may have had something to do with Everyman Studios since I was a member of that group and was active in the mini comics and other projects that Artie published. The closest I got to getting involved with "legitimate" underground publishers was collecting the rejection slips they would send me for my submissions smile.gif I got nice letters from Jay Lynch, Griffith, Kitchen, Last Gasp, Rip Off, even one from Crumb himself grin.gif. Other than that I was a very active collector of undergrounds.

I have found Underground Comix Info.com to be invaluable. They're a little radical politically (just answer what you think a hippie would want to hear on all the screening questions), but once you get to their "visual guide" it is just outstanding.

I meant to include that link as I do think it makes a worthwhile resource as an undergorund comic covers depot. But if falls flat on any in-depth information about any of the books. Here is a link they mirrored from my site.

Other than that I was a very active collector of undergrounds.

Hey ghoulaid

You must have a pretty nice collection of undergrounds. If you ever consider selling, trading any of em, please let me know.