• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Look at the price this book realized!!!!! INSANE!!!!

100 posts in this topic

D,

Without a doubt, you are entitled to your opinion, and yes this is a bulletin board. I personally think its alot of money for that copy like a lot of people think I overspent on my FF55.

I think the impression I got when I read

"Just. Plain. Stupid. sumo.gif seemed rather judgemental rather than an opinion, thats all flowerred.gif

Who are we to judge our fellow collectors habits confused-smiley-013.gif, hell I think anyone that buys GA books is rather weird poke2.gif

.... and Roy is Canadien so his opinion doesn't matter stooges.gif

And you're Greak...that's better?

What's a "Greak"?

I think he wanted to say great Greek but got confused in spelling it out yay.gif

D,

Without a doubt, you are entitled to your opinion, and yes this is a bulletin board. I personally think its alot of money for that copy like a lot of people think I overspent on my FF55.

I think the impression I got when I read

"Just. Plain. Stupid. sumo.gif seemed rather judgemental rather than an opinion, thats all flowerred.gif

Who are we to judge our fellow collectors habits confused-smiley-013.gif, hell I think anyone that buys GA books is rather weird poke2.gif

Opinionated perhaps, 893scratchchin-thumb.gif but judgmental? Nah . . . tongue.gif

.... and Roy is Canadien so his opinion doesn't matter stooges.gif

And you're Greak...that's better?

What's a "Greak"?

I think he wanted to say great Greek but got confused in spelling it out yay.gif

I just thought it would match with the way you spelled Canadian, bro. makepoint.gif

#111 and #112 in CGC 9.8 are $1000 each on buy it now at Pedigree 893scratchchin-thumb.gif, is that one scarcer in 9.8, this price is crazy 893whatthe.gif

but i see that, there is 21 #111 graded in 9.8, and 9 9.8 graded for #112, there is only 2 graded in 9.8 for 114, is that part of the answer why he paid so much, 114 in 9.8 can't be find easily confused-smiley-013.gif

#111 and #112 in CGC 9.8 are $1000 each on buy it now at Pedigree 893scratchchin-thumb.gif, is that one scarcer in 9.8, this price is crazy 893whatthe.gif

but i see that, there is 21 #111 graded in 9.8, and 9 9.8 graded for #112, there is only 2 graded in 9.8 for 114, is that part of the answer why he paid so much, 114 in 9.8 can't be find easily confused-smiley-013.gif

Thats what I mentioned earlier in the thread..only 2 copies

Thats what I mentioned earlier in the thread..only 2 copies

oups sorry MK , didn't read all the posts tongue.gif,

Ah the last v-ball tourney of the year is over and its time to wade back into the BS. hi.gif

Lets look at this from the perspective of the buyer.

Question: Is X-Men 114 worth $3K in terms of finite utility. They answer is no.

Consider the publication date, the print run, the preservation devices and maturity of the back issue market in 1978, all of these indicators indicate that this books relative worth, even in high grade is about right in the OS guide.

Even in uber HG, does anyone really think that another 9.8, or 9.9 doest not exist. Its just not a slabbable book when you consider fees to end result gain, this factor along with the darker cover issue keep it out of the census in quantity over ALL grades, including HG.

Now lets look at the particular circumstance of the BUYER. Without researching it, I bet he's a HG X-Men collector WITH a registry set. So if you have the means then this amounts to plugging a whole. From his perspective its about just that. I have now started calling this "buying in a phone booth."

Buying is a phone booth is what I use to refer to the HG 9.8 books and prices realized after, well lets say 1978. There are VERY few books with any sort of scarcity AND popularity (otherwise known as supply and demand) published after 1978 that are justified in being 1K or over books when pure economics is applied.

But the advent of CGC has really created a psuedo market, based on what is really a subset (not unlike the hockey, baseball, basketball subsets in Cards). This subset exists primarily due to a manufactured ratio of supply and demand possible due to the nuances evident in grading. See people have started to incorrectly apply or internalize the CENSUS. Scarcity within the census can only be applied within the number of books ACTUALLY SLABBED NOT TO BOOKS IN EXISTENCE makepoint.gifmakepoint.gif For a GA Book I think that this point is not really important as there is more maturity in that market and its unlikely that thousands of HG copies exits. But it always boggles my mind when the relative scarcity of a book within the slabbed census somehow spills over to include ALL known copies on a book published from 1975 onwards (as a safe estimate, its likely earlier than that).

That this phenomenon exists at all is really a neat kind of trick. About a year ago a friend of mine happened to see a CGC book that was lying around my apartment. Having never seen a Comic book encapsulated they asked about it and I did my best to explain the process. This person has a few degrees in psychology and actually works for a large Ad agency and seemed really interested past the point of casual politeness. Here is their pschological analysis of a CGC comic.

In their opinion its an amazing marketing ploy. You have Grading which is HIGHLY subjective, where criteria is NOT!!!! set to an ascribed numerical technical system that is universally accepted. For example a 1/4" NCB Crease does not universally = a .3 deduction for all books say 1976 and earlier and a .5 deduction for post 1976 books.

AND YET - this is where the genius comes in (their word not mine) you attach a subjective process of grading to a scientific mathematical scale that is associated with concrete measuerment and poof instant Iron Clad measurement is achieved screwy.gif

The result is an impact where the buying public - even if they understand the nuances in great detail, is always fighting against the concept drilled into them at birth of the exact nature of mathematics and numerical designation.

SO....

Is X-Men 114 in HG worth 3K. Answer NO.

However is X-Men 114 in a piece of plastic with a LARGE Number in the top left corner worth 3K. To one person in the world the Answer is YES.

The packaging, the registry, the census and all the other devices at play that DRIVE THIS SUB-SET are NOT by accident. I hope that the modern subset that CGC has created bares more fruit than its sister markets in Cards.

Hey everybody. I just woke up after a 24-hour drunk and saw I won an auction!

First of all, to all of those who called me stupid, dumbazz, or INSANE!!!! or whatever, no hard feelings although I do appreciate the attempts by some to keep comments civil and avoid personal insults. For future reference, I prefer my insults in person, at a comic show, over a beer. So, you owe me a beer kc120us, especially since I can no longer afford to buy my own...

The truth is that I got surprised by the seller's reserve on this one. I thought he had it set around $1500 which is where he was at on the 95 & 100. I wasn't sure anyone else was willing to match the recent ComicLink sale price for the 114 but I was. So, I learned an expensive lesson.

The cost analysis by a number of Board members on this book is accurate. $3K is too much. I know one sold on C-Link for $2900 but that just means there are two of us who paid too much. I'm reasonably sure based on print runs that some more 9.8 114s will show up. In fact, I would guess that an auction like this will probably result in a few mailings to CGC smile.gif

Hey everybody. I just woke up after a 24-hour drunk and saw I won an auction!

First of all, to all of those who called me stupid, dumbazz, or INSANE!!!! or whatever, no hard feelings although I do appreciate the attempts by some to keep comments civil and avoid personal insults. For future reference, I prefer my insults in person, at a comic show, over a beer. So, you owe me a beer kc120us, especially since I can no longer afford to buy my own...

The truth is that I got surprised by the seller's reserve on this one. I thought he had it set around $1500 which is where he was at on the 95 & 100. I wasn't sure anyone else was willing to match the recent ComicLink sale price for the 114 but I was. So, I learned an expensive lesson.

The cost analysis by a number of Board members on this book is accurate. $3K is too much. I know one sold on C-Link for $2900 but that just means there are two of us who paid too much. I'm reasonably sure based on print runs that some more 9.8 114s will show up. In fact, I would guess that an auction like this will probably result in a few mailings to CGC smile.gif

Maybe you'll have to sell some of those Spidey's after all grin.gifpoke2.gif

Have the rules on Ebay changed within the last year or so?

If I bid equal to/more than the reserve on an auction...do I automatically meet reserve at auction close?

I thought someone else had to bid to push up broxy bids. confused.gif

No reserve or reserve not met then your thought is correct. Just pushed up for proxy bids. Once a reserve is met, that is the minimum bid though. Wordsbest could have bid 4500 for all we know.

Dan