• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What dealers accept returns on CGC books?

27 posts in this topic

I think it's a shame that we've laid down and accepted the fact that dealers have eliminated returns policies on CGC books. I'm hoping we can use this thread to support dealers who DO accept returns. So, whether you're a dealer that does, or know of a dealer that does, let's hear about it. It's my intention to provide links on my website to any dealer that allows returns on certified books. I'd encourage other dealers to do the same.

I'm not a dealer, but I've sold some on e-bay (CGC and raw) and my returns policie is that if you don't like it and want to pay to ship it back then I'll give you a refund. No one has ever been unhappy with a book I've sent them (that I know of).

I'd like clients to send me an extra $20 for every Cgc book I ship them slabbed at 9.0 that they swear is at least a 9.2. Or for those raw silver DD's I sold as 9.2 that the buyer regraded as Cgc level minimum 9.4 if not 9.6. 893frustrated.gif

I believe Marnin Rosenberg also accepts returns on certified books. So we've got four so far:

Oldguy

Marnin Rosenberg

Showcase New England

Harley Yee

There must be more...

Not me, try Metropolis. Who am I to disagree w/ Grandmaster Borock when he deems a grade Cgc quality__. _? 893naughty-thumb.gif

Copy that - King Borock's word is law... and Court Jester Litch is there to provide the muscle back it up tongue.gif

Why accept returns on CGC books, when you can and do advertise big gorgeous full detailed scans so the buyer knows what he is bidding on, you fully disclose any 'flaws' such as production creases and writing on book, and pack so well that a bomb couldn't touch the book??? This just seems like a waste of time and money (if you, the buyer, pay for return shipping then it's just a waste of seller's time, not money too)

I do stand by my satisfaction guaranteed policy, but I've never had a book returned to me, raw or CGC. wink.gif All about full disclosure, be honest and you won't have any problems.

Actually, I don't see what the problem is if someone doesn't accept returns on cgc books... although it'd be nice, you know exactly what you're buying, especially if you see a scan up front, so cover defects like off center, writing etc. are clearly visible... if you just "change your mind" I don't see that as a reason why a dealer should have to accept a return...

I would never buy from SNE despite their return policy, and Marnin Rosenburg, while a good guy, has exceptionally high prices. Why is there a perceived problem with "no returns on cgc"?

I agree that if a dealer provides decent sized scans of front and back cover and the CGC label, that he's justified in not accepting returns, but this is hardly the norm. Most pictures posted in eBay listings do not include the back cover, and the image of the front cover is often too small to see any detail.

Dealer websites also rarely include back cover images, and some, like Metropolis, have few front cover images, and the ones they do have are stated to be "representations" of the comic, not actually the copy they have for sale. In other words, theyr'e using pics from the Photojournal or some other source.

Also, I don't think it's credible for a dealer to refuse returns on certified books by saying "customers might just change their mind." No legitimate dealer uses that idea to justify a no returns policy on raw books, so why use that excuse for certified?

Why accept returns on CGC books, when you can and do advertise big gorgeous full detailed scans so the buyer knows what he is bidding on, you fully disclose any 'flaws' such as production creases and writing on book, and pack so well that a bomb couldn't touch the book??? This just seems like a waste of time and money (if you, the buyer, pay for return shipping then it's just a waste of seller's time, not money too)

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

I would agree, as long as a seller does include 100dpi or greater scans and as long as they denote those defects that CGC doesn't downgrade for but some people think they should. Unfortunately, most sellers don't know, don't agree, or don't care which defects CGC doesn't downgrade for (printing creases, cover offset, writing, etc), so almost nobody discloses enough info to justify the fact that they don't take returns.

You sellers who are sarcastically saying "who am I to disagree with CGC" in this thread yet rail on the inconsistencies of their grading in other threads (ODIN!) are cracking me up 27_laughing.gif893naughty-thumb.gif (please forgive me Odin if you were being sarcastic earlier smile.gif). Which opinion is it that you really believe--do you believe that CGC has some inconsistency, or do you believe that their grading is absolute and therefore you won't take returns on their books? When you compare comics to a long-established hobby like stamp or coin collecting, comic book grading is still in its infancy. To accept CGC's word as gospel and refuse to accept returns because "their grading is both standard and universally accepted" is either selfish, ignorant, or narrow-minded. It's definitely bad customer service, although when we're talking about books that are in short supply, I know a lot of dealers don't give a rip about customer service. Who cares if you're rude or short-sighted when you've got the only Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 (or whatever) on the market, right? (no dig intended there to all you forum members who have recently sold CGC 9.8 Hulk 181s 27_laughing.gif)

A lot of things about the way Marnin presents himself on his web site and via e-mail bug the [!@#%^&^] out of me, but when it comes to grading, he seems to be one of the most knowledgable dealers out there, so it doesn't surprise me that he accepts returns on CGC books. Nobody's perfect, including Steve Borock, Mark Haspel, or Paul Litch; to expect them to be is entirely unrealistic.

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

All about full disclosure, be honest and you won't have any problems.

That's been my experience as well. As long as you're not hiding behind a slab label then there's no problem.

mainly because MOST of the "slabbed" books that go up for sale have been OVER-GRADED to begin with......

While I agree that CGC and comic book grading as a whole are humanly fallible, I don't see how you can say MOST books are overgraded. Have you seen most books that CGC grades or something? Unless you work in the encapsulation department at CGC or something, I'd imagine you're like the rest of us and have seen less than 1% of the books CGC has ever graded. So how can you say that?

I was merely offering an explanation for why there is opposition to refunds on CGC graded books. I can't see why a seller would oppose "refunds", unless they were trying to hide something.

Furthermore......

I said most of the books "FOR SALE", not most of the books graded...... smirk.gif

I said most of the books "FOR SALE", not most of the books graded...... smirk.gif

Can't really see a justification for that statement either, at least based on the 150 or so slabs I own. I disagree with less than 1/4 of the grades my books have been given, and just considering those books, I don't see a pattern of mere over-grading, I also see quite a few undergrades.

Okay FF,

I was trying to make a comment about "NO REFUNDS ON CGC BOOKS", and you've changed this debate into something else entirely. I wasn't talking about "MOST" books, I was talking about sellers "unloading" their OVER-GRADED books.

I'm sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes....... sorry.gif

We're debating...no need to apologize or take it so personally. smile.gif The accuracy of CGC's grading isn't off-topic with regards to returns, it's entirely on-topic. The fact that CGC isn't god is the reason sellers should take returns unless they're really good about disclosing controversial defects like Darth says he does.