• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What dealers accept returns on CGC books?

27 posts in this topic

It sounds like BOTH of us were playing "devil's advocate" smirk.gif

Maybe a little, although I try to be totally objective and believe I have been in this thread based upon what I know and what has occurred to me in the past. "Devil's advocate" infers I was arguing the minority opinion because nobody else was; I almost always try to stay neutral about controversial topics and not favor one side or the other. It's easier to advance your own knowledge if you stay neutral about complex topics.

I don't think "no refunds on CGC books" is a COMPLEX TOPIC. When I sell comics on Ebay, I don't state the above in my auctions, nor do I state "SATISFACTION GUARANTEED". If someone wants to return a book that I sold them, then I will return their winning bid. No problem. I just don't understand some sellers "attitudes".

FF,

I was being facetious of course. We prepay the Cgc tax on comics that we hope will be 9.0 & up per independent 3rd party grading. This is the extra insurance that should satisfy the majority of mail order /auction buyers.

Even though I may disagree w/ Cgc's grading sometimes, it cuts both ways. If a client expects to be able to return Cgc graded comics, then I expect to receive a stipend when the same client receives a book slabbed at 9.0, does a crack-out, & resubmits for a cherry Cgc 9.2 (for example).

We can pick any 3 graders from this forum, throw them in a room & get grading as accurate as Cgc's: plus or minus 12% either way. We can choose Master greggy to sit at the head of the grading pyramid to be the grand-arbiter of grading & may still be plus or minus 10% either way. 893frustrated.gif

FF,

Even though I may disagree w/ Cgc's grading sometimes, it cuts both ways. If a client expects to be able to return Cgc graded comics, then I expect to receive a stipend when the same client receives a book slabbed at 9.0, does a crack-out, & resubmits for a cherry Cgc 9.2 (for example).

Odin,

I don't think the above two situations equate. You don't lose money if a client returns a book for the same amount he paid minus shipping. Why would you expect a client to give you money if he takes the time, energy, and risk of doing a crackout? Especially when you had the opportunity to do the same thing when the book was in your possession?

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gifHey guys - my point was "why even distinguish dealers that accept returns on CGC books" and set them up on a pedestal? I'm not playing devil's advocate. I personally accept returns on all my books sold, graded or not, but I also strongly feel that IF the seller discloses all and the buyer still bids, wins, pays for and receives book intact, the ONLY reason they would return it is because they decided on a whim (or maybe on second thought after considering how they really can't afford it or their wife/mom was telling them that it was too much to spend on a kid's funny book) that they didn't want the book and the seller should not be held responsible for that. Sellers are not always fulltime dealers so their time and convenience is worth something. I think that just because some sellers do this (accept returns on CGC'd books), it should not become the expected norm. Some sellers can't grade worth a lick and send stuff in to CGC because they want the universal respected opinion of a third party grader which translates into higher liquidity for the book on the online market. And they pay a hefty price for this opinion. I'd be really annoyed if the only reason you returned a CGC'd book to me was because they graded it a 9.6 when you think it only deserves a 9.4. WHO ARE YOU to judge that 0.2 differential? Here's where I can agree with Odin's sarcasm about expecting a kickback when you pull a Heritage and buy an CGC "8.0" "red label = stricter grading period" book that you know you can break out and convert into a blue label CGC "9.4". How SILLY is that notion? What are the chances you'd send me that extra money to make up for the bargain you stole from me? AS much chance as you being able to judge a .2 differential from CGC NM and NM+ smirk.gif893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

To me, the all inclusive, satisfaction guaranteed policy is 1) a sign of, not necessarily a requisite of good customer service and 2) a safety net because that person is not as confident in their grading (yet) compared to the majority of the industry. When it comes to moderns, I feel real confident in the 8.5 - 9.8 range. I've had plenty of these grade return to me from CGC so IMO each slab retruned by CGC to me is verification that my grading is on. When it comes to more beat up bronze and silvers, I'm not as confident (although I can definitely tell the difference between g/VG and Fine/FN+ when it comes to price variants, but that is another pet peeve) and here's where my "satisfaction guaranteed" return policy comes in handy. Since most beat up bronze and silvers average no more than a $10 transaction with $2 media mail, I don't freak of someone returns a book to me, which hasn't happened yet by the way....but if you spend lets say $150 on an ASM 59 CGC 9.2 from me, with full disclosure, and you get it back and say you want it returned because YOU think it's only a 9.0, I'd ask you to whip out your CGC badge or Overstreet GRADING GUIDE Advisor

credentials before I take a return. Then I'd send you to Oregon to join CGG and become their head grader...:p

Do as you feel best and comfortable with. I already said it before and got some agreement on, it is all about full disclosure.

I have to agree with Darth... to some degree.

Obviously, any seller can set up their policy as they see fit. I doubt the vast majority of people want to set up on a pedastal dealers who take returns on CGC books because they shouldn't have to... they already sunk time and money into the grading, so why can't they set up whatever policy... which of course they can, but then I guess the point is, we shouldn't buy from them... (I'd note that people didn't come up with a lot of national dealers who take returns on CGC books as a policy)

For me, it doesn't have anything to do with your ability to grade, but rather, when you buy a product, for instance a particular book CGC graded, you know what you are getting... you are buying a book in a certain grade. You assume the risk that it may not be exactly how YOU would grade it because you already know it's a third party grading system. The only reason to return a comic book is 1) you didn't get what you paid for because it has some defect... which is eliminated by virtue of CGC because you already know the grade, and I think most reputable dealers will provide a scan upon request and 2) the other reason is you want to back out for whatever reason. Based on those two factors, I would say that any dealer is perfectly justified in decling a return on CGC items, and I don't believe any added support to those who do offer returns on such books is at all necessary.