• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

fair enough, and good comments re the perspective/technical aspects. flowerred.gif I think that was on purpose on his part though in order to make the covers exciting / stand out. Sorta like kirby did, I guess. (Liefield on the other hand... 27_laughing.gif )

Based on his airbrush covers alone I have no doubt that technical acumen is not something he was lacking.

Oh no doubt. I think that's something most people don't get. Steranko, Schomburg, Cole, ect could all draw "realistically" when they wanted to, they just took artistic liberties a lot of the time to enhance the cover's effect. It always rankles me when someone bags on Steranko because they think he couldn't draw proper anatomy. Please. screwy.gif

Amen to that. In fact, if memory serves cole illustrated several wildlife books in a purely realistic vein (and did a *damn* fine job of it from what I recall).

Yes he did, he also did wildlife covers for World of Rod and Gun magazine. Apparently Japanese art collectors made him offers on those that dwarf what his comic covers would command (if they existed).

He also did a bunch of medical and anatomical illustrations for textbooks.

I don't suppose you have scans of any of the covers or art to those issues?

How much were the offers for, btw? Sounds like he still owns them? Good to hear. He was really an amazing talent and I daresay one of the top artists to ever come out of comic books.

Schomburg too - I remember when I first learned about the airbrush covers I was just blown away that this guy was able to do two completely different styles so well. smile.gif

Sure I've been bagging on his Suspense 3 a lot but I think a counterpoint grounded in reality is well overdue when it comes to this book. IMO its gotten to its inflated price level on rarity and brainwashing and not much else.

I don't suppose you have scans of any of the covers or art to those issues?

How much were the offers for, btw? Sounds like he still owns them? Good to hear. He was really an amazing talent and I daresay one of the top artists to ever come out of comic books.

Schomburg too - I remember when I first learned about the airbrush covers I was just blown away that this guy was able to do two completely different styles so well. smile.gif

Sure I've been bagging on his Suspense 3 a lot but I think a counterpoint grounded in reality is well overdue when it comes to this book. IMO its gotten to its inflated price level on rarity and brainwashing and not much else.

Well, his family probably owns them now, since LB passed away in 1995.

I have a bunch of articles on him, I will see if I can dig up scans. I am pretty sure there are decent pics somewhere...

Well, his family probably owns them now, since LB passed away in 1995.

I have a bunch of articles on him, I will see if I can dig up scans. I am pretty sure there are decent pics somewhere...

Oh yeah, he passed away frown.gif forgot about that frown.gif

Would love to see scans if you have them!

are you kidding me ?? OK, I know that the Suspense 3 has a cool Schomburg cover, but after that thrill wears off, then what do you have ??

One of the most high demand and rare in grade GA Classic Covers that ever walked the face of this planet makepoint.gif

I'll take the Supes #1 hands down.

Suspense #3 is a nice book (maybe even great), but for the money we're talking about, "rare in high grade" is FAR down the list of reasons why I'd buy a book. Basically, the reasons I'd like a Supes #1 far outweigh the reasons I'd like a Suspense #3.

are you kidding me ?? OK, I know that the Suspense 3 has a cool Schomburg cover, but after that thrill wears off, then what do you have ??

One of the most high demand and rare in grade GA Classic Covers that ever walked the face of this planet makepoint.gif

I'll take the Supes #1 hands down.

Suspense #3 is a nice book (maybe even great), but for the money we're talking about, "rare in high grade" is FAR down the list of reasons why I'd buy a book. Basically, the reasons I'd like a Supes #1 far outweigh the reasons I'd like a Suspense #3.

what if it were the Superman #1 CGC 4.5 or an Action Comics #13 in CGC 8.0 blue label 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ill keep it simple. I like Suspence # 3 because it has a beautiful cover and it is scarce[it is Not Rare]. Its a simple as that. I would take a 4.5 Unrestored Superman #1 over an 8.0 Suspence # 3 Quick. Thats me ok. Im NOT speaking for anyone else.

Don't kill me but I'm not all that big of a Schomburg fan, but I do love Suspense 3 and Terrific 5. S3 is a lot less cluttered than most of his stuff and beautifully composed and framed. I think it's a masterpiece, as far a comic book art goes.

Don't kill me but I'm not all that big of a Schomburg fan, but I do love Suspense 3 and Terrific 5. S3 is a lot less cluttered than most of his stuff and beautifully composed and framed. I think it's a masterpiece, as far a comic book art goes.

BH, don't feel lonely. In our first annual GA Favorite Cover Contest. Suspense # 3 did come in at # 1 for the Non-Super Hero group. Results are still available at the GA Favorite Contest Non-Super Hero Page thanks to Paris_Fred. The people voted and liked the cover. I'm afraid to say that Supes # 1 did not crack the top 20 in the Super-Hero category.

P.S.: Yes, I can and will bring data in to any post I can. insane.gif

what if it were the Superman #1 CGC 4.5 or an Action Comics #13 in CGC 8.0 blue label 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ouch, that's tough. My personal grail that I've been trying to find for a long time, or a Supes #1. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Well, I'll still have to go with the Supes #1. I don't neccessarily need a high grade Action #13, so I'd be happy finding a low grade copy at a much lower price someday. Too hard to pass on a Supes #1.