• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

No offense but I think you've read one too many auction catalogs gossip.gif There are many Schomburg works that are far superior.

few would give a SPOON about this cover. It's just not that great a cover. Far, far, far from his best. yeahok.gif

That's why I added the phrase ( IMO ) makepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

I was speaking for myself. I'm sure some others would prefer Schomburg war covers....I like this one the best.....(and based on the $47,000 sales price of this book, I am confident I am not alone gossip.gif)

You aren't alone. I think it's one of his best as well. Right up there with Torch 12 and Startling 14.

but after that thrill wears off, then what do you have ??

Trust me, the thrill of owning a VF Suspense 3 would NEVER wear off. Not sure why you would think it would. Is it that hard to believe that someone would be more excited by the Suspense 3 than a Superman 1? Too much superhero bias around here. screwy.gif

Trust me, the thrill of owning a VF Suspense 3 would NEVER wear off. Not sure why you would think it would. Is it that hard to believe that someone would be more excited by the Suspense 3 than a Superman 1? Too much superhero bias around here. screwy.gif

too much "cover is king" bias to me around here screwy.gif

besides, you wouldn't have the Suspense 3 for long anyway, as you'd "flip it" a few weeks later.. 893blahblah.gif

besides, you wouldn't have the Suspense 3 for long anyway, as you'd "flip it" a few weeks later.. 893blahblah.gif

Just because I don't collect like you doesn't mean it's any less worthy or that the "thrill will wear off". Typical "what I collect is great, what you collect is *spoon*" attitude.

As for the flipping comment, keep your cheap shots to yourself. I am sick of getting *spoon* for selling books. You don't know anything about me or my collection, so STFU. I flip because I don't have the money to buy the things I want without doing it. Sorry if that offends your delicate sensibilities.

Well, the "cover is king" theory would apply to the Supes # 1 as well, because there isn't much in the way of original content otherwise. gossip.gif

I find this one very tough. Despite the fact that:

- I collect high grade Schomburgs, and that the Suspense # 3 is the grail of all such books.

- the cover is indeed amazing and I could look at it all day.

- The "D" copy Suspense # 3 8.0 is a top grail in the hobby....in the same Top 20 list of known Pedigree GA Keys as the Pay Copy Marvel # 1, the Mile High Action # 1, the Mile High Flash # 1, etc.

- I don't collect Superman per se, and never really regarded Superman # 1 as a top five book.

- This particular Supes # 1 does look a bit like used toilet paper....

Despite all that, this is still a tough decision. I say Suspense # 3 by a hair.

You aren't alone. I think it's one of his best as well. Right up there with Torch 12 and Startling 14.

Bah humbug - it's not even the best cover in its own title. Most of the lb cole covers, esp 8 and 11, are better. I just really don't know where you guys are coming from tongue.gif I think the cachet of this book being rare and being featured full-page in the photo-journal has led to some ascribing to it artistic greatness which simply isn't there in the work itself yeahok.gif

Take that cover, put it on another title, and take away the extreme rarity. What are you left with? An also-ran schomburg cover worth maybe $1k not $47k that no one would particularly care about. news.gif

No offense but I think you've read one too many auction catalogs gossip.gif There are many Schomburg works that are far superior.

few would give a SPOON about this cover. It's just not that great a cover. Far, far, far from his best. yeahok.gif

That's why I added the phrase ( IMO ) makepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

I was speaking for myself. I'm sure some others would prefer Schomburg war covers....I like this one the best.....(and based on the $47,000 sales price of this book, I am confident I am not alone gossip.gif)

I don't need you to state "IMO" for me to be able to infer that's its your opinion. That's obvious. gossip.gif Just like its my opinion that without the perfect storm of extreme rarity, being produced without staples, being part of a title that has classic lb cole covers, and being prominently featured in the photo journal, this cover is one big SPOON as far as schomburgs go.

Perception would change in a hurry if you took away all the things that go with the book and people just focussed on the book itself gossip.gif

Superman is a better book, and unrestored is the way to go since so many were touched up. But Suspemse 3, while not everyones cup of meat and is considered way overvalued by many, has its solid core of fans and adolators. So this 8.0 copy would be easy to move to the open arms of a collectors. The beat up looking Supes is not an attractive copy at all.

So, IMO right now, even though I am not a big Suspense 3 fan, I would pick it. But down the road? Id bet that the unrestored Superman 1 even as fugly looking as it is, would hold up better and gain in value consistently, whereas the coterie of Suspense 3 worshippers will fade and its value will hit a ceiling at some point. (of course, I would have put the ceiling at $40K!! 27_laughing.gif)

You dont tug on Superman's cape!

Just because I don't collect like you doesn't mean it's any less worthy or that the "thrill will wear off". Typical "what I collect is great, what you collect is *spoon*" attitude.

As for the flipping comment, keep your cheap shots to yourself. I am sick of getting *spoon* for selling books. You don't know anything about me or my collection, so STFU. I flip because I don't have the money to buy the things I want without doing it. Sorry if that offends your delicate sensibilities.

ok, hold on, slow down..I wasn't attacking you, or the way you collect, but your the one who belittled my choice by posting this little icon guy screwy.gif, implying that I was crazy, because I'd rather have the Supes #1 over the Sus #3,

you could have made your point without posting the little screwy.gif guy, and I wouldn't have said anymore... that's the only reason I posted it back,.. but under your own profile you admit, that you collect "anything you can sell or trade for a profit". as if to say the collecting part is secondary,,. that's your own words, not mine..

plus, I would never tell you or another board member to "STFU" 893naughty-thumb.gif,.. so once again I apologize if you were offended by what I said, I was just giving a little tit for tat after you belittled my choice,..

olive branch flowerred.gif

Edited by thedude

whereas the coterie of Suspense 3 worshippers will fade

thanks for agreeing with me, even if it was only between the lines wink.gifhi.gif

Ive never understood the immense appeal of the book. But I fully understand it to be a REAL desire shared by many other comic collectors. So Im not out to offend anyone's collecting goals.

Your a class act. A good responce.

who me, shy.gif

I've met Andy at WW Chicago, don't know if he remembers or not, he's a nice guy, and I didn't mean to start anything, I genuinely apologize. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, knowing the two of you, a dude/october flame war is pretty much the most random thing I can imagine. 27_laughing.gif

Oh yeah, Superman #1 for me.

One more suspense 3 comment. If it was never in the photo journal, or had just a standard small space in the PJ, the crippen copy would be lucky to pull 10k. Believe it. sumo.gif

Bronty,

you seem to have a lot of hostility towards the success and popularity of this book. Why are you so angry? ...did Suspense 3 beat you up and steal your lunch money when you were a little kid?

One more suspense 3 comment. If it was never in the photo journal, or had just a standard small space in the PJ, the crippen copy would be lucky to pull 10k. Believe it. sumo.gif

So the demand was manufactured? By who, whom?

I can remember the fervor brought about after various Overstreet Marketplace articles back in the 90s hyped this book.

I tend to side with Bronty on this one, a lot of the demand was due to hype (possibly promoted by those few who held copies?).

I collect HG Schomburgs, and do think the cover is awesome, but no book should be bringing close to $50k on the merits/significance of its cover alone.

Besides, there are a few airbrush Schomburg covers I would take over the Suspense # 3 anyday.