• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

but after that thrill wears off, then what do you have ??

Trust me, the thrill of owning a VF Suspense 3 would NEVER wear off. Not sure why you would think it would. Is it that hard to believe that someone would be more excited by the Suspense 3 than a Superman 1? Too much superhero bias around here. screwy.gif

too much "cover is king" bias to me around here screwy.gif

besides, you wouldn't have the Suspense 3 for long anyway, as you'd "flip it" a few weeks later.. 893blahblah.gif

Just because I don't collect like you doesn't mean it's any less worthy or that the "thrill will wear off". Typical "what I collect is great, what you collect is *spoon*" attitude.

As for the flipping comment, keep your cheap shots to yourself. I am sick of getting *spoon* for selling books. You don't know anything about me or my collection, so STFU. I flip because I don't have the money to buy the things I want without doing it. Sorry if that offends your delicate sensibilities.

ok, hold on, slow down..I wasn't attacking you, or the way you collect, but your the one who belittled my choice by posting this little icon guy screwy.gif, implying that I was crazy, because I'd rather have the Supes #1 over the Sus #3,

you could have made your point without posting the little screwy.gif guy, and I wouldn't have said anymore... that's the only reason I posted it back,.. but under your own profile you admit, that you collect "anything you can sell or trade for a profit". as if to say the collecting part is secondary,,. that's your own words, not mine..

plus, I would never tell you or another board member to "STFU" 893naughty-thumb.gif,.. so once again I apologize if you were offended by what I said, I was just giving a little tit for tat after you belittled my choice,..

olive branch flowerred.gif

flowerred.gif

The thing in my profile isn't serious, just some some sarcasm directed at those who have criticized my collecting style....I didn't know people even read that stuff. Sorry to fly off the handle, I have just been getting a lot of *spoon* from people lately about how I sell to finance other purchases. sorry.gif

One more suspense 3 comment. If it was never in the photo journal, or had just a standard small space in the PJ, the crippen copy would be lucky to pull 10k. Believe it. sumo.gif

Bronty,

you seem to have a lot of hostility towards the success and popularity of this book. Why are you so angry? ...did Suspense 3 beat you up and steal your lunch money when you were a little kid?

Steve,

Give me a break and don't try to psychoanalyze tongue.gif I'm not "angry" towards the book. What I am is disappointed that people can't evaluate the book on its merits.

I'm just calling a spade a spade. This cover, this book, doesn't deserve its lofty status for any reason other than what I've mentioned. Make this the cover to a random Startling or Exciting comics and you've got nuttin'.

Like Jive Turkey mentioned, this book was on very few radars in the 80s. Then after all the press in the early 90s everyone had to have it. But then maybe you haven't been collecting long enough to know? poke2.gif

Edited by Bronty

but after that thrill wears off, then what do you have ??

Trust me, the thrill of owning a VF Suspense 3 would NEVER wear off. Not sure why you would think it would. Is it that hard to believe that someone would be more excited by the Suspense 3 than a Superman 1? Too much superhero bias around here. screwy.gif

too much "cover is king" bias to me around here screwy.gif

besides, you wouldn't have the Suspense 3 for long anyway, as you'd "flip it" a few weeks later.. 893blahblah.gif

Just because I don't collect like you doesn't mean it's any less worthy or that the "thrill will wear off". Typical "what I collect is great, what you collect is *spoon*" attitude.

As for the flipping comment, keep your cheap shots to yourself. I am sick of getting *spoon* for selling books. You don't know anything about me or my collection, so STFU. I flip because I don't have the money to buy the things I want without doing it. Sorry if that offends your delicate sensibilities.

ok, hold on, slow down..I wasn't attacking you, or the way you collect, but your the one who belittled my choice by posting this little icon guy screwy.gif, implying that I was crazy, because I'd rather have the Supes #1 over the Sus #3,

you could have made your point without posting the little screwy.gif guy, and I wouldn't have said anymore... that's the only reason I posted it back,.. but under your own profile you admit, that you collect "anything you can sell or trade for a profit". as if to say the collecting part is secondary,,. that's your own words, not mine..

plus, I would never tell you or another board member to "STFU" 893naughty-thumb.gif,.. so once again I apologize if you were offended by what I said, I was just giving a little tit for tat after you belittled my choice,..

olive branch flowerred.gif

flowerred.gif

The thing in my profile isn't serious....I didn't know people even read that stuff. Sorry to fly off the handle, I have just been getting a lot of *spoon* from people lately about how I sell to finance other purchases. sorry.gif

I truly am sorry for what I said, it was meant in a poke2.gif kind of way instead of 893blahblah.gif

guess I need "icon posting 101" training..

and yes, I read everyones profiles,.. (does that make me a stalker 893scratchchin-thumb.gif), I'm always interested in what people collect or need.

on second thought, I'll take the Suspense #3 893scratchchin-thumb.gif, I mean look at that cover 893whatthe.gifgrin.gif

I truly am sorry for what I said, it was meant in a poke2.gif kind of way instead of 893blahblah.gif

Yeah, me too. I hate flame wars. Fugging stupid.

on second thought, I'll take the Suspense #3 893scratchchin-thumb.gif, I mean look at that cover 893whatthe.gifgrin.gif

I have had a change of heart too. Superman 1 for me. How could I pass up a historical treasure like that? foreheadslap.gif

What I am is disappointed that people can't evaluate the book on its merits.

I think the cover has plenty of merits. Jungle action, gunfighting, bondage, KKK hooded Nazis....what is there not to like? I could care less if there is one copy or a warehouse full of them, rarity and price don't factor into its desirability for me.

Yeah, me too. I hate flame wars. Fugging stupid.

I have had a change of heart too. Superman 1 for me. How could I pass up a historical treasure like that? foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif

what is there not to like?

Not his best composition. Not his best line work. Not his best anything sumo.gif

As for the fact that the book has a jungle, a girl, and kkk hooded nazis on the front, if those elements are worth 50k to you then I will draw you up a cover with those elements and charge you 50k. poke2.gif

what is there not to like?

Not his best composition. Not his best line work. Not his best anything sumo.gif

As for the fact that the book has a jungle, a girl, and kkk hooded nazis on the front, if those elements are worth 50k to you then I will draw you up a cover with those elements and charge you 50k.

Whoa there tiger! I NEVER said it was "worth" the 50K. I think that's a screwy.gif price for that book. I just said said the cover was cool, and ranks among Schomburg's better efforts. Technically, a lot of Schomburg's covers are a mess with inaccurate perspective, size, anatomy, ect. Setting aside his airbrush covers, I think his talent came from creating interesting, action-packed, dynamic art that's able to catch the reader's eye....things I think the cover to Suspense 3 does.

fair enough, and good comments re the perspective/technical aspects. flowerred.gif I think that was on purpose on his part though in order to make the covers exciting / stand out. Sorta like kirby did, I guess. (Liefield on the other hand... 27_laughing.gif )

Based on his airbrush covers alone I have no doubt that technical acumen is not something he was lacking.

fair enough, and good comments re the perspective/technical aspects. flowerred.gif I think that was on purpose on his part though in order to make the covers exciting / stand out. Sorta like kirby did, I guess. (Liefield on the other hand... 27_laughing.gif )

Based on his airbrush covers alone I have no doubt that technical acumen is not something he was lacking.

Oh no doubt. I think that's something most people don't get. Steranko, Schomburg, Cole, ect could all draw "realistically" when they wanted to, they just took artistic liberties a lot of the time to enhance the cover's effect. It always rankles me when someone bags on Steranko because they think he couldn't draw proper anatomy. Please. screwy.gif

Oh no doubt. I think that's something most people don't get. Steranko, Schomburg, Cole, ect could all draw "realistically" when they wanted to, they just took artistic liberties a lot of the time to enhance the cover's effect. It always rankles me when someone bags on Steranko because they think he couldn't draw proper anatomy. Please. screwy.gif

Amen to that. In fact, if memory serves cole illustrated several wildlife books in a purely realistic vein (and did a *damn* fine job of it from what I recall).

One more suspense 3 comment. If it was never in the photo journal, or had just a standard small space in the PJ, the crippen copy would be lucky to pull 10k. Believe it. sumo.gif

Bronty,

you seem to have a lot of hostility towards the success and popularity of this book. Why are you so angry? ...did Suspense 3 beat you up and steal your lunch money when you were a little kid?

27_laughing.gifsign-funnypost.gif