• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Ok, that went pretty well, so I'll do one more Larson comparison.

Both these books sold in the same auction (Nov. 2003) for about the same price ($9430 vs $9200). Which would you choose?

808007041o.jpg

808139027o.jpg

1st of all CentaurMan thank you for contributing to this thread.

As for this EASY choice...I don't think I have ever heard a collector ask for an issue of USA, including #1.(maybe I don't hang around with enough Timely collectors). Add to that the incorrect blue label, as books with glue on their covers or spine have a tear seal, which is restoration, and therefore should have a purple label.

I do know a whole stadium full of collectors who collect More Fun by contrast, and the The Spectre is one cool and fairly popular dude. Add to that the appropriate blue label, and I choose hands down the More Fun.

The Guide's got to be wrong then, if the books sold for the same price in the same auction from the same pedigree in the same condition? Or does the minor glue make so much of a difference that the huge disparity in Guide prices is explainable?

Ok, that went pretty well, so I'll do one more Larson comparison.

Both these books sold in the same auction (Nov. 2003) for about the same price ($9430 vs $9200). Which would you choose?

I'll take a key Timely #1 over a boring Spectre cover anyday! thumbsup2.gif

Not to mention MF #59 top guide is $5800 and USA #1 top guide is $21000 893whatthe.gif

West

More Fun all the way. The pre-Cap USA comics are in the same league with Young Allies and Tough Sell Squad. They are amongst the most boring, least desirable, expensive books in the guide.

Only a true Timely completist would even entertain the idea of buying them.

The Guide's got to be wrong then, if the books sold for the same price in the same auction from the same pedigree in the same condition? Or does the minor glue make so much of a difference that the huge disparity in Guide prices is explainable?

I am confident it is the Guide, not the glue 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ok, here are two Edgar Church Action Comics, sold three months apart for about the same price ($10,350 vs. $10,638). Which would you choose? Or have I finally picked a pair of books so similar that people will truly be ambivalent as to their choice?

805030076o.jpg

806008039o.jpg

Ok, here are two Edgar Church Action Comics, sold three months apart for about the same price ($10,350 vs. $10,638). Which would you choose? Or have I finally picked a pair of books so similar that people will truly be ambivalent as to their choice?

805030076o.jpg

806008039o.jpg

Hey no fair, I owned both of these sumo.gif

Personally I liked the #28 better.

West

805030076o.jpg

806008039o.jpg

I've owned high grade examples of both, and I sold the #28.....so my answer is the #30........apparently.

Both books guide the same. The slight differnece in page quality wouldn't bother me so I'll take the cover image I like better, the #30.
thumbsup2.gif That's why I kept the #30....the car on the cover was more interesting.