• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

both of these beauties sold for approx $42,000 about 2 years ago. Which one would you choose, and why?

The Marvel Mystery is the highest graded copy

1544009-morefun54.jpg

.........................or

1544009-marvel9.jpg

the choice for me....the WHITE paged, NM-, LARSON copy of More Fun

Very tough but I'd have to go with the Marvel Mystery. Love both those books. cloud9.gif

I would have liked to pick the mm9 but 42,000 seems like a lot to me for an 8.0? What does that make a 9.4 worth? 150-200k? I can't see anyone shelling out that kind money for a NM, so without looking at the census or the gpa I have to think that it might be the sort of situation where the MM9 is "currently" the highest graded and has room to fall once other copies get slabbed. confused-smiley-013.gif So even though I like MM9 I think the MF54 is the better value in this case.... again without any research though. Thoughts? confused-smiley-013.gif

I would have liked to pick the mm9 but 42,000 seems like a lot to me for an 8.0? What does that make a 9.4 worth? 150-200k? I can't see anyone shelling out that kind money for a NM, so without looking at the census or the gpa I have to think that it might be the sort of situation where the MM9 is "currently" the highest graded and has room to fall once other copies get slabbed. confused-smiley-013.gif So even though I like MM9 I think the MF54 is the better value in this case.... again without any research though. Thoughts? confused-smiley-013.gif

100% agree............I would think that quite a chunk of the $42k for the MM9 was based on it being the highest graded copy, but 8.0 is a pretty low ceiling for that book, and it seems almost likely that an 8.5 or better will surface one day.

If it was an EXTREMELY condition sensitive and scarcer book like Pep 22, then it would be a lot safer to pay the premium for owning the highest graded copy, as at 8.0 for a Pep 22 as an example, it would not be likey to be dethroned as the best.

More Fun 54 does seem to be a better/safer value, although the MM9 would be more exciting to own if $$ was not a factor. For $42k though, $$ is a HUGE factor, which was why I chose the More Fun....it seems More Safe smirk.gif

100% agree............I would think that quite a chunk of the $42k for the MM9 was based on it being the highest graded copy, but 8.0 is a pretty low ceiling for that book, and it seems almost likely that an 8.5 or better will surface one day.

If it was an EXTREMELY condition sensitive and scarcer book like Pep 22, then it would be a lot safer to pay the premium for owning the highest graded copy, as at 8.0 for a Pep 22 as an example, it would not be likey to be dethroned as the best.

More Fun 54 does seem to be a better/safer value, although the MM9 would be more exciting to own if $$ was not a factor. For $42k though, $$ is a HUGE factor, which was why I chose the More Fun....it seems More Safe smirk.gif

I think that is an extremely condition sensitive book though. I'd probably have to go with it. I'd be happy with a nice VG of the More Fun, but that MM9 is quite unique. It's really a tougher book than it gets credit for - in part due to the fact that nobody wants to sell it.

both of these beauties sold for approx $42,000 about 2 years ago. Which one would you choose, and why?

1544009-morefun54.jpg

1544009-marvel9.jpg

Great one Showcase!!

I will go with the Marvel #9, it is very key, high grade and simply wonderful.

The More Fun was once owned by a hoser, so it is tainted in my mind.... blush.gif

1544009-morefun54.jpg

1544009-marvel9.jpg

Great one Showcase!!

The More Fun was once owned by a hoser, so it is tainted in my mind.... blush.gif

Are you calling Larson a hoser?

If the Crippen copy of Suspense #3 can command $50K, the Marvel Mystery #9 is a steal at $42K. I don't think you would ever lose money on this book and I'm sure there would be a lineup of buyers for a NM copy at $150K. Oddly enough the 8.0 is gone from the census, only one 9.0 showing 893scratchchin-thumb.gif and the next best grade is a 6.5. GPA won't help you very much because other than a 6.5 copy that sold on Comiclink in the past year there hasn't been a mid grade copy or higher than has sold (according to GPA- or that I'm aware of) in the last 2-3 years. Next to the Marvel Comics #1 I can't think of another Timely book that would be in more demand. Like the More Fun #54 this issues defines what a classic GA cover is all about. hail.gif

Don't get me started on the suspense 3 27_laughing.gif

150k for a nm, really? I mean yeah, its a killer timely and maybe you're right, but that's major key territory pricewise and I guess I always considered it more of a minor key.

Don't get me started on the suspense 3 27_laughing.gif

150k for a nm, really? I mean yeah, its a killer timely and maybe you're right, but that's major key territory pricewise and I guess I always considered it more of a minor key.

I'd consider this closer to a major key than a minor and its bloody impossible to find unrestored. I am still kicking my self from not chasing down a real low grade copy that was on Heritage about 1-2 years ago. tonofbricks.gif There was one other book that hit EBay around the same time (CGC 2.5) and I think it sold for something like $1,500 more than what it did 6 months prior. frown.gif

Great one Showcase!!

Are you calling Larson a hoser?

No! Sorry! A collector that I know used to own it. He's the hoser.

If the Crippen copy of Suspense #3 can command $50K, the Marvel Mystery #9 is a steal at $42K. I don't think you would ever lose money on this book and I'm sure there would be a lineup of buyers for a NM copy at $150K.

I agree completely.