• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

I would have liked to pick the mm9 but 42,000 seems like a lot to me for an 8.0? What does that make a 9.4 worth? 150-200k? I can't see anyone shelling out that kind money for a NM, so without looking at the census or the gpa I have to think that it might be the sort of situation where the MM9 is "currently" the highest graded and has room to fall once other copies get slabbed. confused-smiley-013.gif So even though I like MM9 I think the MF54 is the better value in this case.... again without any research though. Thoughts? confused-smiley-013.gif

If the Crippen copy of Suspense #3 can command $50K, the Marvel Mystery #9 is a steal at $42K. I don't think you would ever lose money on this book and I'm sure there would be a lineup of buyers for a NM copy at $150K.

I agree completely.

I think the significance of this book goes beyond many of the great points stated here to a very basic one: the long-standing difference between Marvel/Timely and DC.

Very early on, Marvel/Timely decided to pit two main hero characters against one another in a colossal battle of Titans. Who was the hero? Who was the villain? My how different a comic book can be when its not so easy to tell.

While Batman was gleefully giving Superman reach-arounds for 50 years in customary ho-hum DC storylines, the Marvel tradition of realistic heroes airing realistic differences in a realistic world started very early on, perhaps back to this very issue.

Okay, I know the DC guys are going to kill me for that comment, but it sure was fun to write. wink.gif

I would have liked to pick the mm9 but 42,000 seems like a lot to me for an 8.0? What does that make a 9.4 worth? 150-200k? I can't see anyone shelling out that kind money for a NM, so without looking at the census or the gpa I have to think that it might be the sort of situation where the MM9 is "currently" the highest graded and has room to fall once other copies get slabbed. confused-smiley-013.gif So even though I like MM9 I think the MF54 is the better value in this case.... again without any research though. Thoughts? confused-smiley-013.gif

If the Crippen copy of Suspense #3 can command $50K, the Marvel Mystery #9 is a steal at $42K. I don't think you would ever lose money on this book and I'm sure there would be a lineup of buyers for a NM copy at $150K.

I agree completely.

I think the significance of this book goes beyond many of the great points stated here to a very basic one: the long-standing difference between Marvel/Timely and DC.

Very early on, Marvel/Timely decided to pit two main hero characters against one another in a colossal battle of Titans. Who was the hero? Who was the villain? My how different a comic book can be when its not so easy to tell.

While Batman was gleefully giving Superman reach-arounds for 50 years in customary ho-hum DC storylines, the Marvel tradition of realistic heroes airing realistic differences in a realistic world started very early on, perhaps back to this very issue.

Okay, I know the DC guys are going to kill me for that comment, but it sure was fun to write. wink.gif

Screw the DC guys. grin.gifstooges.gif Did Super Dog ever battle the Batt Hound? insane.gif

I agree completely.

I'm mostly a DC guy, but I still laughed my tail off at your post!

I collect just about every publisher, but DC is what gets me all lathered up! blush.gif

he Marvel tradition of realistic heroes airing realistic differences in a realistic world started very early on

When I think of a robotic pyromaniac and an ankle-winged Atlantean the first word that comes to mind is "realistic". stooges.gif

I agree completely.

You convinced me. I would take the MM 9 smile.gif

he Marvel tradition of realistic heroes airing realistic differences in a realistic world started very early on

When I think of a robotic pyromaniac and an ankle-winged Atlantean the first word that comes to mind is "realistic". stooges.gif

27_laughing.gif man, you beat me too it...I was gonna say something along those lines..

27_laughing.gif

Touche thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm pretty fond of both of those characters. But don't go dissin my DC homeys, OK? 893naughty-thumb.gif

flowerred.gif

Yea, certainly a tough call... But i'm going with MM #9.. It's simply a classic cover and a classic battle between the torch and subby. Not to mention how rare it is to find this book!?!? Definitely a book I'd love to own if I were to collect Timely's.

both of these beauties sold for approx $42,000 about 2 years ago. Which one would you choose, and why?

The Marvel Mystery is the highest graded copy

1544009-morefun54.jpg

.........................or

1544009-marvel9.jpg

the choice for me....the WHITE paged, NM-, LARSON copy of More Fun

Great one Showcase!!

I will go with the Marvel #9, it is very key, high grade and simply wonderful.

The More Fun was once owned by a hoser, so it is tainted in my mind.... blush.gif

This is a tough choice and I don't think you can go wrong either way you choose. I saw the More Fun before it slabbified and it's a quite a book. The MM 9 is the Chicago copy, was, so far as I could tell, undergraded and has since been re-submitted and is the 9.0. I would probably go for the MM 9 for the Everett cloud9.gif and Burgos story.

Both of these books have many similarities:

both "D" copies

both Fine-

both unrestored

both sold for approx. $17,000

both sold in 2006

both classic covers

niether is highest graded copy

Which one would you choose, and why?

1549415-tec31.jpg

...................or

1549415-tec35.jpg

I find myself double suprised here:

suprise #1: That Tec 31 isn't worth twice as much as Tec 35

suprise #2: I would choose Tec 35 ( superior PQ and seemingly only at the beginning stages of its "hotness" )

1549415-tec35.jpg.5dfcc6dd941f5171d6add4ac4d4ffbc7.jpg

both "D" copies

both Fine-

both unrestored

both sold in 2006

both classic covers

1549415-tec31.jpg

...................or

1549415-tec35.jpg

suprise #2: I would choose Tec 35 ( superior PQ and seemingly only at the beginning stages of its "hotness" )

This one is no contest.

Tec # 31. All day and all night. Easily one of the most memorable comic covers ever and a pretty important tone-setting story in the early Batman mythos.

As for Tec # 35, I think its "hotness" and newfound desirability is largely lost on me.

Besides, structurally, the # 31 looks to be more solid of the two.

both "D" copies

both Fine-

both unrestored

both sold in 2006

both classic covers

1549415-tec31.jpg

...................or

1549415-tec35.jpg

Detective Comics 31. I've already had a 35.

I think people try to push the hypodermic aspect of 35, but since we're not sheep we choose the 31. The only real factor in the choice is the PQ or whether you need to fill a hole. But there's no doubt in my mind that 31 is a superior if not iconic cover.

I can't believe they went for the same price.

this was my 1st thought also....so then, to make my choice, I looked at it this way:

if Tec 35 just brought as much as Tec 31 this year, it's big "break out" year for whatever reason ( the market sometimes works in mysterious ways ), then couldn't the 35 easily surpass the 31 in the next few years ( even if it shouldn't ) if this trend should continue? They are both "classic covers", but 35 has some Soti like shock value that may be driving it to a new, highly desirable level not seen before. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can't believe they went for the same price.

this was my 1st thought also....so then, to make my choice, I looked at it this way:

if Tec 35 just brought as much as Tec 31 this year, it's big "break out" year for whatever reason ( the market sometimes works in mysterious ways ), then couldn't the 35 easily surpass the 31 in the next few years ( even if it shouldn't ) if this trend should continue? They are both "classic covers", but 35 has some Soti like shock value that may be driving it to a new, highly desirable level not seen before. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

More likely it's just a fad. If you want a quick flip maybe the 35 is the way to go to take advantage of the recent "hotness," but if you're looking for a longer term investment then the 31 is clearly the way to go. It always has been and always will be a classic, highly desirible comic - many would say the best GA superhero cover ever.

More likely it's just a fad. If you want a quick flip maybe the 35 is the way to go to take advantage of the recent "hotness," but if you're looking for a longer term investment then the 31 is clearly the way to go. It always has been and always will be a classic, highly desirible comic - many would say the best GA superhero cover ever.

Case in point:

2006 GA Superhero Cover Contest Results

Edited by Theagenes

Case in point:

2006 GA Superhero Cover Contest Results

yeah...I see your point. I've always been a pre-code, "used in Soti" classic cover buff...guess that trickled down into my choice......revised pick for me -- the 31!