• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

Though not my favorite issue, I'd take the GA Batman even without the double cover. I have to confess I've just never had much attachment to The Flash as a character, and don't quite understand the high prices commanded by his early SA issues. Batman #5 for me.

Yeah, tough to craft a rational argument in favor of the Flash here. Plus, in 30 years when no one collects comics anymore, the Batman will have at least retained some value as a vestigial cultural icon while the Flash will be worth pennies on the dollar as an esoteric curiosity.

Ok...here's a real wild one I think ( if comparing 2 books to each other can be considered wild ). We have the highest graded Flash123 SA semi-key, and a 9.6 Batman #5 double cover that looks overgraded, and is by far IMO the most 8.0 looking 9.6 I have ever seen...nothing about this book looks NM+.( I know they are grading the inner cover, but we see the outer cover )

both sold for $24,000 in 2004

Which one would you choose, and why?

1572306-batman5.jpg

I will go with the Batman easily. Because it has the same color scheme as the #1, which I always loved, it is a double cover (very cool), and because it is a golden age Batman single digit!

acclaim.gif

Yeah, tough to craft a rational argument in favor of the Flash here. Plus, in 30 years when no one collects comics anymore, the Batman will have at least retained some value as a vestigial cultural icon while the Flash will be worth pennies on the dollar as an esoteric curiosity.

hello all...

I will still be collecting in 30 years (I hope...gulp!)

Batman for me

rick

At first I want to say the Flash book because I just can't stand goofy Batman covers with Robin and that stupid grin on his face. Actually I would pass on both as I could probably think of about 1000 books I want to buy with the $24,000 before I picked either one of these.

At first I want to say the Flash book because I just can't stand goofy Batman covers with Robin and that stupid grin on his face. Actually I would pass on both as I could probably think of about 1000 books I want to buy with the $24,000 before I picked either one of these.

well sure.. I won't fight you on that one.. I'd take the cash any day.

hello all...

Batman for me

rick

So will lots and lots of people. This is the first thing I have ever disagreed with Win on. He may have said it tongue in cheek. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

hello all...

Batman for me

rick

So will lots and lots of people. This is the first thing I have ever disagreed with Win on. He may have said it tongue in cheek. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

i choose..........the buyer of the flush for 24,000 to be my new best friend, because i have some books i want to sell him. lots of books.

Batman #5...I love the double covers cloud9.gif

please help me understand confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif....the ONLY reason I chose Flash 123 is due to the double cover on the Batman 5. If the Batman was a "regular" 9.6 I would have never compared the 2 books, as the Batman would be no contest against any SA Flash.

I have always viewed double covers as an undesirable printing defect, yet virtually all of you found it to be "cool"......why???????????? confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Batman #5...I love the double covers cloud9.gif

please help me understand confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif....the ONLY reason I chose Flash 123 is due to the double cover on the Batman 5. If the Batman was a "regular" 9.6 I would have never compared the 2 books, as the Batman would be no contest against any SA Flash.

I have always viewed double covers as an undesirable printing defect, yet virtually all of you found it to be "cool"......why???????????? confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

I'd take the Flash -- just not that exciting of a Batman book.

Double covers, to me, are an example of a "good" publishing defect. Nor is it unusual for certain defects of a mass-produced item to be of interest (for example, Inverted Flying Jennys in the stamp world). Besides, there is something very cool about opening a cover to a book to find another cover underneath. And if they are both in high grade ..., well that's cloud9.gif

hello all...

Batman for me

rick

You got it. wink.gif

I will go with the Batman easily. Because it has the same color scheme as the #1, which I always loved, it is a double cover (very cool), and because it is a golden age Batman single digit!

acclaim.gif

Gotta go with Batman #5. Great cover.

Geez this is a tough one. 3x 9.2 guide price for a Batman that I would probably pay guide for... or 10x 9.2 guide price for a Flash I'd probably pay 3x-4x guide for at most.

My first choice would be not to spend the $24k. After that I'd probably take the Batman because I would think it would be the easier of the two to sell at the highest price.

But if both both books were priced what I would consider to be "reasonably", I'd take the Flash 123 for sure. I don't collect SA Flashes, but that book in 9.4 is too cool to pass up.

I would take the Batman #5.

I like the cover and even if the one on display is only a 9.0 that still high enough from a viewing point of view (the anticipation of the hidden 9.6 also gives it an additional if perverse pleasure - should I crack it open to see or not).